Charles Fischer

Really Happening: Tosh Lupoi Coming to Oregon

Looks like it is going to happen!  Whew, what an elite staff for recruiting!

Report: Jaguar's Tosh Lupoi to be Formally Announced as Oregon DC on Wednesday by Zachary Neel of Ducks Wire

1331339464-1.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

This will be a good recruiting staff and I expect some nice pick ups in the coming weeks but I just want to remind people that Oregon really doesn't have that many scholarships to work with right now. 

Last I checked out of our 85 scholarships like 31 we're sophomores. We aren't losing many players this year either so don't expect a top 10 class, barring a ton of 5 star recruits. 

I would also like to say that recruiting is based on relationships so next year's class will be strong... But don't expect recruits to flip to Oregon because of these hires. They only have a month to build relationships with perspective recruits where their opposition may have been working in these relationships for years. 

With all that said.... Really looking forward to seeing this recruiting staff work! 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/5/2022 at 1:31 AM, David Marsh said:

This will be a good recruiting staff and I expect some nice pick ups in the coming weeks but I just want to remind people that Oregon really doesn't have that many scholarships to work with right now. 

Last I checked out of our 85 scholarships like 31 we're sophomores. We aren't losing many players this year either so don't expect a top 10 class, barring a ton of 5 star recruits. 

I would also like to say that recruiting is based on relationships so next year's class will be strong... But don't expect recruits to flip to Oregon because of these hires. They only have a month to build relationships with perspective recruits where their opposition may have been working in these relationships for years. 

With all that said.... Really looking forward to seeing this recruiting staff work! 

Great take DM. In 2022 you are allowed to go 7 players over the 85 limit so I hope this experienced crew of assistants will properly pluck from the portal. I think Nix is a pretty good start in this direction.

• Thanks 1

TheRunningDuck....could you summarize the article?  I cannot get in as it is a pay-wall...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/5/2022 at 7:49 AM, Charles Fischer said:

TheRunningDuck....could you summarize the article?  I cannot get in as it is a pay-wall...

It's from 2017 when he was in the mix to get hired by CAL, some article  hightlights:

+++++

Wherever Lupoi goes, controversy follows.

So does talent.

Oh, and then there’s the small matter of Lupoi’s alleged NCAA violations.

But Lupoi’s reputation as a recruiter is such that the Bears might consider taking the risk.

“Big key would be if (Wilcox) brings Tosh with him,” said Greg Biggins, the National recruiting Director for Scout.com. “One of the best there is.”

Lupoi knows the Bay Area recruiting scene like few others. He played for De La Salle High School and was a defensive lineman for the Bears.

He coached the position during the Jeff Tedford era, experiencing highs and lows. A driving force behind some stellar recruiting classes, he was the Rivals recruiting service’s 2010 recruiter of the year.

That same season, he instructed players to fake injuries against Oregon and was suspended for one game as a result. (Several Cal sources believe Lupoi was unfairly targeted by the scapegoat-seeking administration.)

He left Cal for Washington in the winter of 2012 in controversial fashion: Lupoi was recruiting top prospect Shaq Thompson to Berkeley while in talks with the Huskies. He switched employers, Thompson switched schools, and many Cal fans called foul.

While at Washington, Lupoi was accused of paying $4,500 for a recruit to take online classes.

When Chris Petersen became the Huskies coach, he did not retain Lupoi.

Alabama scooped him up, installing Lupoi first as a defensive analyst, then as outside linebackers coach.

Will he remain in Tuscaloosa, or return to his alma mater?

The answer should come in the next few hours and days

Edited by Darren Perkins
  • Thanks 2

On 1/5/2022 at 1:31 AM, David Marsh said:

What I hope happens with these very experienced and strong hires, is that the "transfer portal" players that are in dire need - ie - D Line and DBs - come flying into Eugene. 

On 1/5/2022 at 9:38 AM, Darren Perkins said:

It's from 2017 when he was in the mix to get hired by CAL, some article  hightlights:

+++++

Wherever Lupoi goes, controversy follows.

So does talent.

I’ve followed Lupoi through all of the aforementioned drama.  If I remember correctly he also was the point man for UW in the recruitment of Eric Armstead, a close battle won by Chip after having an in home with the Armsteads.  I will chalk up early miscues to youth and inexperience on his part.  His tenure with Bama, though brief, has been clean.  Given he passed the smell test with coach Saban, I’d chalk this up as a smart hire and another win for Lanning.

Please let us all recall that what was once a recruiting violation is allowable today and compared with 2012 , the NCAA is a toothless tiger.

Have you been to College Station, TX.?  I have. Don't go. How do you think Jimbo rounded up the best recruiting class in the country? A+M last won a title in the 1930's and Jimbo has a title because he recruited Jameis to FSU. A+M is one of the 4 AAU member schools in the SEC, but I doubt these recruits focused on educational opportunities when committing to Aggie land.

Every OL guy who now signs and plays with Texas is paid $50,000 a season. Every guy on the roster at Miami is 'paid' $6,000 a year. Every walk-on at BYU has his tuition and cost of attendance paid for. And these are the deals that we know about.

I don't think many the fan out west 'gets this?' There are less than a handful, if that, of schools in the Pac-12 that have the money to recruit at championship level. The Pac-12 is not playing playoff quality football and is not sending guys to the pros like the SEC and the B1G.  So, if you have offers in a better conference, why play in the Pac-12?

SMH that a number of fans think that a new commish playing a dead hand is going to turn things around for the Pac-12 in CFB?  USC will be in the playoff in 2024? Media is going to pay big money because SC might come back? I don't see it. And BTW when Pete Carroll was at SC, for the most part he was not competing against the LA Rams and the LA Chargers. And the SEC had yet to cement its spot as the It Conference.

Let's compare Pac-12 champion Utah with South Carolina. Utah set a school record with 52,000 fans attending to watch the Utes/Ducks regular season game. As Stewart Mandel recently noted the Utes are generally unknown nationally because of the location in the mountain time zone, bad starting times and having to play on the Pac-12 network. South Carolina, a team that has never won an SEC title routinely draws 85.000+ fans to every home game. Routinely draws more eyeballs to media broadcasts of its game than do 10 of the Pac-12 member schools.

For Oregon to have a chance in this recruiting environment it has to play the pay for play game. Has to. Oregon has the money to do so. USC has the money to do so. UW has the money to do so. SC and Oregon spend far more on football than the other Pac-12 teams. Yet SC and Oregon get the same share of the proceeds as their 'partners' investing far less? Why? Why remain in a partnership like this? Remaining would not happen in the 'real world.' Big boy CFB is real world business and should not be treated differently by the top partners in the Pac-12 enterprise.

CFB is no longer collegial. No longer regional. It is a big time nationwide big business and the 'leaders' of the Pac-12 not seeing this should not blind Oregon to seeing this.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/4/2022 at 10:05 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Looks like it is going to happen!  Whew, what an elite staff for recruiting!

Report: Jaguar's Tosh Lupoi to be Formally Announced as Oregon DC on Wednesday by Zachary Neel of Ducks Wire

1331339464-1.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Yes it's about time. The time is evolving for Oregon and I think they have the general idea of what this is gonna take now to reach the level as a Championship organization. The evolution it seemed to me was taking to long! Well I can say now I fill like we went out and got way better than Mario was going to give us. Go Ducks. Just Do It!

On 1/5/2022 at 10:58 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Please let us all recall that what was once a recruiting violation is allowable today and compared with 2012 , the NCAA is a toothless tiger.

Have you been to College Station, TX.?  I have. Don't go. How do you think Jimbo rounded up the best recruiting class in the country? A+M last won a title in the 1930's and Jimbo has a title because he recruited Jameis to FSU. A+M is one of the 4 AAU member schools in the SEC, but I doubt these recruits focused on educational opportunities when committing to Aggie land.

Every OL guy who now signs and plays with Texas is paid $50,000 a season. Every guy on the roster at Miami is 'paid' $6,000 a year. Every walk-on at BYU has his tuition and cost of attendance paid for. And these are the deals that we know about.

I don't think many the fan out west 'gets this?' There are less than a handful, if that, of schools in the Pac-12 that have the money to recruit at championship level. The Pac-12 is not playing playoff quality football and is not sending guys to the pros like the SEC and the B1G.  So, if you have offers in a better conference, why play in the Pac-12?

SMH that a number of fans think that a new commish playing a dead hand is going to turn things around for the Pac-12 in CFB?  USC will be in the playoff in 2024? Media is going to pay big money because SC might come back? I don't see it. And BTW when Pete Carroll was at SC, for the most part he was not competing against the LA Rams and the LA Chargers. And the SEC had yet to cement its spot as the It Conference.

Let's compare Pac-12 champion Utah with South Carolina. Utah set a school record with 52,000 fans attending to watch the Utes/Ducks regular season game. As Stewart Mandel recently noted the Utes are generally unknown nationally because of the location in the mountain time zone, bad starting times and having to play on the Pac-12 network. South Carolina, a team that has never won an SEC title routinely draws 85.000+ fans to every home game. Routinely draws more eyeballs to media broadcasts of its game than do 10 of the Pac-12 member schools.

For Oregon to have a chance in this recruiting environment it has to play the pay for play game. Has to. Oregon has the money to do so. USC has the money to do so. UW has the money to do so. SC and Oregon spend far more on football than the other Pac-12 teams. Yet SC and Oregon get the same share of the proceeds as their 'partners' investing far less? Why? Why remain in a partnership like this? Remaining would not happen in the 'real world.' Big boy CFB is real world business and should not be treated differently by the top partners in the Pac-12 enterprise.

CFB is no longer collegial. No longer regional. It is a big time nationwide big business and the 'leaders' of the Pac-12 not seeing this should not blind Oregon to seeing this.

Thanks Jon and I never believed the SEC was getting away with anything and I new they were cheating a long time ago. When Cam's father was asking for the highest bidder I mean OH my gosh as in why would he do such a thing if there never was indiscrepancy going on. Yes Sir I've already believed if Oregon wants to compete then Phil needs to pay for that Championship and this is waht it has come down to. You want to take down BAMA then pay more than them in everything otherwise this is a waste of time.

• Thumbs Up 1