Charles Fischer

Holy Crap! A Dan Lanning and Georgia Primer...

My FishDuck Friends, I just wanted to give you a little heads-up concerning some future FishDuck articles that will feature some tasty information about how Lanning runs his defense and the attitudes he instills in his defense, that frankly...is different than what we've seen.

We have had a wonderful fellow post here from the Bulldog fanbase, BengalDawg, (he lives in Cincinnati, but grew up in Athens) who has prepped me about the upcoming National Championship game, in addition to some interesting insights into the Georgia program.  He has already made my head spin with our first phone interview, as he played college football and knows more than most.

The first article comes this Monday, the National Championship GameDay article, as we will have a GameDay thread from that post, and inside my article will be nuggets to be watching for in the game on Monday night.  He thinks very highly of Lanning and has some big predictions concerning his future at Oregon...

Dan Lanning_Duck Digest.jpg

Beginning next week--we will be moving to our off-season publishing schedule of which will have articles on Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday each week is all, and moving back to seven days a week in August when the 2022 season begins.  But this forum is full-time 24/7!

• Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 3

Mr. FishDuck

Darn you!  Now I have to wait all weekend for the story to post.

I bought a guitar. I have never played but I will be moving to a new off season schedule of learning how to play sick blues licks. Testing the old dog new tricks theory. Will still be on OBDF to gain knowledge and give my takes though.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think I'd take a BengalDawg over a BearCat.

On 1/7/2022 at 3:13 PM, McDuck said:

Darn you!  Now I have to wait all weekend for the story to post.

Sorry, but the truth is I have pages of notes and some screenshot images.  Still in rough form...  I was just pumped from the phone interview and wanted to share that we all are going to be learning some fun-stuff together.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Charles you are amazing.....

You and your team just keep killing it.

You teaser you!

Yeah, nice teaser.  I look forward to reading it. 

It's hard to get a fix on what to expect from reading the comments on the Georgia boards.  Some of them say we got a good one, as a leader, person and a recruiter.  Others claim, he was overrated as a recruiter and hasn't done any noteworthy recruiting in past year or two.  It could be just sour grapes.

After watching Mario operate and struggle on the field, I embrace change.  And I can't wait to see what Lanning has in store for this team.

Edited by DuckIt
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/7/2022 at 5:22 PM, DuckIt said:

Others claim, he was overrated as a recruiter and hasn't done any noteworthy recruiting in past year or two. 

Well, he has started out recruiting a great staff, one that I think can be slightly better than what Cristobal was best at--recruiting players.

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

FYI. Athens, Georgia is one of the great college football towns in the USA. If you ever get a chance to visit Athens, please do so.

To me, it is unfortunate that on 9/3/22 the Ducks is playing UGA in Atlanta and not Between the Hedges in Athens and with a return game scheduled in Eugene.

Please with Wisconsin playing a H+H with WA ST, Auburn playing a H+H with CAL, A+M playing a H+H with CU, etc., do not give me the old canard that there is no reason for UGA to visit Eugene. Tennessee visited Eugen and not that long ago.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/7/2022 at 5:59 PM, Jon Joseph said:

FYI. Athens, Georgia is one of the great college football towns in the USA. If you ever get a chance to visit Athens, please do so.

To me, it is unfortunate that on 9/3/22 the Ducks is playing UGA in Atlanta and not Between the Hedges in Athens and with a return game scheduled in Eugene.

Please with Wisconsin playing a H+H with WA ST, Auburn playing a H+H with CAL, A+M playing a H+H with CU, etc., do not give me the old canard that there is no reason for UGA to visit Eugene. Tennessee visited Eugen and not that long ago.

I was at that game and ended up tailgating with Tennessee fans. They were the nicest fans I’ve ever been around. They all were rooting for the Ducks to beat Bama in the championship game. Kinda shocked me actually. They new they had no chance to beat us.

Those days are over, for now anyway.

Guest Axel
On 1/7/2022 at 6:53 PM, Just Ducky said:

I was at that game and ended up tailgating with Tennessee fans. They were the nicest fans I’ve ever been around. They all were rooting for the Ducks to beat Bama in the championship game. Kinda shocked me actually. They new they had no chance to beat us.

Those days are over, for now anyway.

One of my best college-football experiences was seeing the Ducks play Tennessee in Knoxville in 2010. The Volunteer fans were super nice and accommodating. Upon entering Neyland Stadium, two hostesses cheerfully welcomed my older son and I and thanked us for visiting.

You may recall that that game was interrupted in the first half by a huge thunderstorm. My son and I got separated in a mad dash to find refuge from the slashing rain, and I wound up under the stands perplexed and thoroughly drenched. Noticing the condition that I was in, a Tennessee student smiled as he told me, "Y'all are Ducks. You should like this just fine," and we both enjoyed a good laugh.

After the game, which the Ducks won 48-13, my son and I were downing a celebratory beer in the parking lot. A Tennessee fan who was driving by rolled down his window, honked, waved, and said, "Y'all played a really good game."

Prior to returning to our car, we had met several Oregon players outside the stadium. They were happily munching on Chick-fil-A tenders and sandwiches and mingling with a number of us Duck fans who had made the pilgrimage to Tennessee. Oregon offensive lineman Carson York told us that the Ducks knew the game was over by halftime, even though the score was tied, 13-13. York said that by the end of the second quarter, the Volunteer players were exhausted by the Ducks' relentless up-tempo attack.

Oregon outscored Tennessee 35-0 in the second half. During that magical season, the Ducks rolled up 72 points on New Mexico, 69 on Portland State, 52 on Stanford, 60 on UCLA, 53 on USC, and 53 on Washington. 

On 1/7/2022 at 8:24 PM, Axel said:

Oregon offensive lineman Carson York told us that the Ducks knew the game was over by halftime, even though the score was tied, 13-13. York said that by the end of the second quarter, the Volunteer players were exhausted by the Ducks' relentless up-tempo attack.

Oregon outscored Tennessee 35-0 in the second half. During that magical season, the Ducks rolled up 72 points on New Mexico, 69 on Portland State, 52 on Stanford, 60 on UCLA, 53 on USC, and 53 on Washington. 

Yep.  It worked so well that Cristobal stopped doing it.

We've seen tempo this season...used against the Ducks, and by Oregon in the second half of the Alamo Bowl when MC was not present.  The coaching and management decisions by the prior staff were epic at times...

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck