Desert Duck

CFB = NFL-L, aka. NFL-Lite

Top-level coaching is always a huge part of a successful CFB program, but I’m afraid that in today’s world, that’s just barely the price of admission. Anyone who didn’t realize that the “Texas A&M NIL Recruiting System®of buying recruits is the future of CFB, simply was not paying attention.

Any CFB program without a serious and well-funded NIL Athlete Purchasing Program is quickly going to find that Level-1 CFB football has passed them by. And frankly, I’m not so sure that’s a bad thing.

Given NIL, CFB free agency, and essentially no scholarship limitations, in my humble opinion, CFB is now effectively the NFL-L… aka. NFL-Lite.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest DUCKBILL

AMEN!!!

It should be funded by the NFL as, for all practical purposes, CFB is it's minor league.  Should we have 2 CFB programs? One for those that only academically qualified under individual normal university or college admissions standards and the other for the NFL intended. Both would still be NFL draft capable. Is that too far fetched? 

Gee, I’m old enough to remember the husky lead NCAA 4 year “recruiting violation” investigation on the ducks.-something about an agent. It appears Willie was 10 years ahead of the times.

THIS should be apparent to everyone who follows CFB. CFB today is basically unregulated.

On 1/11/2022 at 4:20 PM, Flyin Vee said:

Gee, I’m old enough to remember the husky lead NCAA 4 year “recruiting violation” investigation on the ducks.-something about an agent. It appears Willie was 10 years ahead of the times.

And Don James left at least a decade too soon.

NFL-lite? The NFL has a cap, the college game has no cap. Most of these kids will never see money like they will make in the college game with the way this is set up.

7% of high school players make the jump to college and only 2% of those make the jump to the NFL. College football just made it legal for the professional ranks to grow exponentially.

Most of the these 'student athletes' will be fat and broke by the time they leave college football, with few if any marketable skills. It isn't just the college game which will suffer. It is the college student athlete who will suffer the most.

The Oregon Program would do well focusing on putting money toward the education and longterm success of these student athletes. High School kids who go to schools mainly because of the money undoubtedly won't have the outcomes they think they might. 

I have a feeling many of the college football programs will have the outcome of the 'jailblazers' most of us know too well. I at least look for programs to suffer greatly from this move. Texas A&M will be a case study the way it is plays out for now.

Think back and imagine making lots of money while going to college, not a productive picture for most, myself included. A student athlete has to be extremely productive, so not a good recipe.

• Thumbs Up 1

There was an article recently that stated that 80% of all NFL players are broke when they leave the league.  The pension, (for those who qualify) is all they have.

So we are giving large amounts of money to 18 year olds; what could possibly go wrong?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/11/2022 at 4:20 PM, Charles Fischer said:

There was an article recently that stated that 80% of all NFL players are broke when they leave the league.  The pension, (for those who qualify) is all they have.

So we are giving large amounts of money to 18 year olds; what could possibly go wrong?

giphy.gif

For the great majority of these guys, the NFL is the equivalent of winning the ultimate lottery, and the lottery leads many to financial ruin within a few years. And like the lottery, the NFL checks all of their dream boxes: money, fame, etc, and obviously very few of them can handle it.

And considering only about 0.005% of the US population is under contract on an NFL roster at any given time (about 1,700 NFL players on rosters under contract), the odds of playing NFL football are not much better than winning the lottery. However, in all fairness, the odds of a college football player making an NFL roster are a bit higher at 0.64% (there are about 80,000 US college football players x 0.64% = 512 new NFL players per year added to rosters). And let’s remember, the average NFL career lasts 2.75 years.

When I look at the data, and when considering that 99.4+% of college football players will never see a single NFL dollar in their lives, the Wild-West-like NIL lottery-esque cash grab makes even more sense. But sadly, I’d comfortably wager that 80+% of these kids will see their NIL money disappear before their eyes within 2 to 3 very short years. By the time they finish playing college ball, they’ll be lucky to have a car left in their possession with their name on it. And sadly, the greatest asset they will need for the rest of their lives, a college degree, will way more than likely be lost as well.

Edited by Desert Duck

The amount of money spent on college football before NIL was crazy, with NIL it is going to be laughable. 

Wealthy alumni can now have bidding wars on the coaching staffs, and the athletes as well. Kind of amusing and sad at the same time. 

It would be interesting to have the top 25 NIL donators listed alongside their respective teams ranking. Maybe we can give out a trophy and cash bonus to the thriftiest team with the most wins at the end of the season.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/11/2022 at 3:20 PM, Charles Fischer said:

what could possibly go wrong?

giphy.gif

When too much money meets immaturity, nothing good

images-3.jpeg

Sometimes

On 1/12/2022 at 2:56 PM, 30Duck said:

Sometimes

Or a lesson from Notorious B.I.G. 

On 1/11/2022 at 1:03 PM, Desert Duck said:

Given NIL, CFB free agency, and essentially no scholarship limitations, in my humble opinion, CFB is now effectively the NFL-L… aka. NFL-Lite

I was just thinking this morning that it now makes sense to limit scholarships.

It will be more expensive to field an elite team in CFB very soon if teams try to match A&M.  I see a shakeout occurring.  

The smart schools will tie loyalty, grades and graduation to their NIL deals.  $25-$35 million still doesn't  guarantee A&M hoists a trophy.  That literally is one third the NFL salary cap ( for just those 20-25 players).  

If hate to be a parent of these kids.  Most won't value the scholarship.  Of course, STEM degrees matter the most, but most players don't invest the time to earn those types of degrees. 

I didn't listen to my very wise father (I proved his concern was misled, but I snubbed good advice nonetheless). That was for school only.  Imagine hundreds of thousands of dollars at stake and you're trying to tell your kids that might not be the best route.

We need to go back to baking and cooking.  The microwave oven needs to go ( and on demand entertainment).  

On 1/13/2022 at 5:51 AM, Mike West said:

I was just thinking this morning that it now makes sense to limit scholarships.

It will be more expensive to field an elite team in CFB very soon if teams try to match A&M.  I see a shakeout occurring.  

The smart schools will tie loyalty, grades and graduation to their NIL deals.  $25-$35 million still doesn't  guarantee A&M hoists a trophy.  That literally is one third the NFL salary cap ( for just those 20-25 players).  

If hate to be a parent of these kids.  Most won't value the scholarship.  Of course, STEM degrees matter the most, but most players don't invest the time to earn those types of degrees. 

I didn't listen to my very wise father (I proved his concern was misled, but I snubbed good advice nonetheless). That was for school only.  Imagine hundreds of thousands of dollars at stake and you're trying to tell your kids that might not be the best route.

We need to go back to baking and cooking.  The microwave oven needs to go ( and on demand entertainment).  

The Super League is coming and coming soon; within a decade.