Charles Fischer

Another Mario Cristobal Assistant, Jim Mastro, Avoids Miami...

So Jim Mastro is doing anything or be anywhere other than with Cristobal?  Do know that this is a BIG pay cut, as Nevada does not pay well.  The new Head Coach from Oregon, Ken Wilson does not even make a million per year!

Former Oregon RB Coach Jim Mastro takes Director of Ops. Job at Nevada by Zachary Neel of Ducks Wire

USATSI_16660052.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Mr. FishDuck

Mario is not a 'Mastro' when it comes to hiring assistants. Anyone in Miami having 2nd thoughts?

• Haha 1

Mastro wasn't heading to Miami anyways apparently he has some family members who are ill.. I want to say granddaughter... and they live on the west coast and Miami is just too far away for his liking.

Though I do think Cristobal wanted Mastro and McClendon to be his two OCs at Miami. With Masto not coming I think that has messed some things up... especially since Cristobal knows who he wants in all his staffing spots except the coordinators.

Thinking about it it is an interesting dynamic that coordinators being hired to established programs expect to join an established staff... but if coordinators are joining a head coach at a new program they want to be able to have a say in their position hires.

I think if Cristobal had stayed at Oregon he would be struggling to get at least a new offensive coordinator, but would it have been easier since whoever the OC would be they would have known they were joining an established program rather than joining a new program? In truth I think if Cristobal had stayed at Oregon, I think Jim Mastro would be our OC and McClendon would be Co-OC.

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe he's a previous Nevada coach. He's the one who brought the pistol to us.

On 1/21/2022 at 10:18 AM, Duck 1972 said:

I believe he's a previous Nevada coach. He's the one who brought the pistol to us.

I'm not saying the Pistol is good but I think Cristobal had a lot of say in how it was used and it was used horrendously. Mastro also has a great reputation as a running back coach at various stops and yet our run game has been good but a far cry from Oregon good.

Makes you wonder...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/21/2022 at 10:30 AM, David Marsh said:

I'm not saying the Pistol is good but I think Cristobal had a lot of say in how it was used and it was used horrendously. Mastro also has a great reputation as a running back coach at various stops and yet our run game has been good but a far cry from Oregon good.

Makes you wonder...

I think many of the data points up to this point seem to confirm our bias, thinking. We wonder if we are right, and seek information which confirms those beliefs. It seems Mario is making it easy on us, for now. I will say it isn't over, but Mario is struggling out of the gate, but an $80 million struggle, not too bad.

On 1/21/2022 at 10:46 AM, Haywarduck said:

I think many of the data points up to this point seem to confirm our bias, thinking. We wonder if we are right, and seek information which confirms those beliefs. It seems Mario is making it easy on us, for now. I will say it isn't over, but Mario is struggling out of the gate, but an $80 million struggle, not too bad.

Next year I may end up watching Miami football just to see if our theories as to the source of our frustrations the past few years are true.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm definitely watching and rooting for him. What a story line if we knock off UGA next year and play Miami in the nt'l championship next year. I can dream can't I.

• Like 1

Mario just reaching the playoffs would be a major victory for him. 

I rather see Mario fall flat on his face his first year.  I'm not trying to be vindictive or anything.  He just has no business being on any football field, other than to recruit.  Heck, I'm not even sure he can hack it as an O-line coach anymore.

He better fill his roster with as many game ready, 5 star recruits and transfers that he can lock down.  Because his team's talent will have to compensate for his sheer incompetence as a coach and his constant need to control every aspect of the game, however misguided.  Even with the best roster in the ACC, his team will still find themselves being outcoached in most games, as we have learned over the years.

• Haha 1

I guess only time will tell.