Duckdude

PAC 12 All Century Mens Basketball Team

Thought some of you might recognize some of these names…..especially one of the Guards listed:

• Thanks 1

That is the origin of 30Duck!

Ronnie Lee.jpg

Look at that....over Bill Walton!

Mr. FishDuck

Wow. That’s a great list. Good to see Harter getting some love.

I remember Stan Love for two reasons . . . .1) In a close game Henry Bibby stole the ball and raced for a layup, Stan trailed the play and went up, grabbed the rim and gave Bibby a foot to the back and into the stands he went; 2) there was a quote that the first contract he got, he got 1 Mil for every point in his GPA.  It was a $500,000 contract 😂 

• Thumbs Up 1

My first game in Mac Court was Feb 21, 1970, Oregon 78 UCLA 65, Stan Love, Bill Drozdiak, Larry Holliday, and my first favorite Duck, Billy Gaskins.

image.jpeg.13b356c4311bf25a388a20bea6fb7093.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 8:04 PM, 30Duck said:

Feb 21, 1970, Oregon 78 UCLA 65

Remember it well.  During warmups Sidney Wicks tried to intimidate the students by running sprints and glaring into the stands. Except the students stood up and glared back.  Then to start the game, the fans' ovation was so loud and long, they almost called a technical on the fans.

The year before, Larry Holiday, all 6'3" of him tied up Alcindor/Jabbar on the opening jump and dislocated his arm.  Put back in and played the entire game while only dislocating it one more time.

Hey 30Duck, what was the ex Oregon Duck's BB players name that was called "Cowboy" from the 70's I think! Thanks in advance, he was one of my all-time favs!

No Greg Ballard?  Not as flashy as Marquis Johnson but just as effective.  They had some epic battles.

An argument could be made for 'Jungle Jim' Loscutoff.  Averaged 20 points and 17 boards his senior season then went on to win seven rings in the NBA.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/26/2022 at 5:11 PM, Dukduponquak said:

Hey 30Duck, what was the ex Oregon Duck's BB players name that was called "Cowboy"

Doug Little. He was a huge part of Harter's teams, being a holdover from Belko's teams, and the captain of Harter's first Oregon team, that went winless in the Pac-8 and 6-20 for the year. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2022 at 5:32 PM, McDuck said:

Greg Ballard

He was like Altman, didn't have a losing record vs UCLA.  Plus he hit an epic behind the backboard shot at Pauley, I guess YouTube doesn't go back far enough, I looked. 

On 1/26/2022 at 5:32 PM, McDuck said:

No Greg Ballard? 

Absolutely agree about GB. He still is the single game scoring leader for the Ducks, 47, in a win over Oral Roberts in the 1974 NIT, and also one of the greatest moments in Oregon history, hitting 2 free throws, with O:00 on the clock to beat UCLA, 62-61 in 1976.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ronnie Lee is my No.1 of course, but my favorite Kamikaze Kid after 30, is Mark Barwig. He wasn't the superstar like Lee or Ballard, but no player personified Harter's style of play more. Opposing coaches game planned to stop Lee & Ballard, but Barwig was the player who made life miserable for the other teams. Before the Kamikaze Kids, west coast basketball was UCLA finesse, Oregon didn't do finesse.

image.jpeg.d0e24a2f4b66ac0919d1718995d71212.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/26/2022 at 8:38 PM, 30Duck said:

Doug Little. He was a huge part of Harter's teams, being a holdover from Belko's teams, and the captain of Harter's first Oregon team, that went winless in the Pac-8 and 6-20 for the year. 

Thanks My Man 30!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/26/2022 at 5:59 PM, 30Duck said:

Ronnie Lee is my No.1 of course, but my favorite Kamikaze Kid after 30, is Mark Barwig. He wasn't the superstar like Lee or Ballard, but no player personified Harter's style of play more. Opposing coaches game planned to stop Lee & Ballard, but Barwig was the player who made life miserable for the other teams. Before the Kamikaze Kids, west coast basketball was UCLA finesse, Oregon didn't do finesse.

image.jpeg.d0e24a2f4b66ac0919d1718995d71212.jpeg

Couldn’t agree more. Barwig’s skills and athleticism were average, but nobody played harder or more epitomized the style of play Harter brought from Penn.

No Dana Altman in the "Coaches" category?

Dana is an all-time winner with longevity.