Charles Fischer

Coach Lanning Reaches Out to Former Players: A Good Move?

This is a great move to build the bonds with the Oregon Athletic community, and is good judgment and leadership shown even during the midst of recruiting.

I think the first question I would ask if I was the Dan-Man is, "Justin Wilcox? WTH were you thinking?"

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Ernie Kent's nickname was, "Million Moves". Lanning is catching up fast.

I agree it's a great move and a positive sign.

Although I think the last comment was a bit of tongue in cheek, I disagree. I envision Wilcox turning into the next Kyle Whittingham, and considering how badly Utah kicked OBD's tail feathers last year, I don't think it's an unreasonable suggestion to hire him.

I know I'm bucking the trend on this forum to say it, but given the resources a coach has to work with at UO, I'd take an upcoming Whittingham who will stick around rather than jumping in a few years, which I'm sure Lanning will do if he leads us to success. But that's just my preference 😄

On 1/29/2022 at 12:49 PM, Viking Duck said:

I agree it's a great move and a positive sign.

Although I think the last comment was a bit of tongue in cheek, I disagree. I envision Wilcox turning into the next Kyle Whittingham, and considering how badly Utah kicked OBD's tail feathers last year, I don't think it's an unreasonable suggestion to hire him.

I know I'm bucking the trend on this forum to say it, but given the resources a coach has to work with at UO, I'd take an upcoming Whittingham who will stick around rather than jumping in a few years, which I'm sure Lanning will do if he leads us to success. But that's just my preference 😄

Maybe we take Wilcox at that point.  See if he's interested once he " EMERGES".

He did show flashes when the Golden Bears had decent talent (and he is truly handicapped by the university when it comes to getting athlete-students ).

• Thumbs Up 1

Since the end of the Helfrich era we have had Taggart and Cristobal and both of them looked at Oregon as a complete rebuild. 

Nevermind the fact that in their rebuild of Oregon it came on the backs of some incredible players who were recruited by Helfrich... Herbert and Troy Dye to name two. 

But neither coach really wanted to embrace Oregon and what made Oregon's special place. Lanning in reaching out is getting a feel for what makes Oregon the place that it is... And I hope those players say at least one word for all our sake's... "POINTS!"

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/29/2022 at 12:49 PM, Viking Duck said:

I know I'm bucking the trend on this forum to say it, but given the resources a coach has to work with at UO, I'd take an upcoming Whittingham who will stick around rather than jumping in a few years, which I'm sure Lanning will do if he leads us to success. But that's just my preference

Please buck the trend often, as this is the only place you can assert a minority view and people are required to be nice to you.  It feels great to "be safe" no matter your point of view.

Wilcox has not put together a staff in five years like Lanning already, nor has the recruiting chops, IMHO.  Cal is ranked No. 58 on the Rivals site for 2022 with two 4-Star players.  Oregon has two 4-Star players in a handicapped year...and is not done.

I would disagree about calling Wilcox the next Whittingham; perhaps Dan Lanning is the young-gun who will grow into that?

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/29/2022 at 1:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I would disagree about calling Wilcox the next Whittingham; perhaps Dan Lanning is the young-gun who will grow into that?

I hope so! It's going to be very interesting to see how things play out over the next few years.

If Lanning wins and wins big at Oregon he may just stay. 

Because of all who have come before him at Oregon the program is built for success at a national championship level. If Lanning wins that national championship at Oregon, he will have a big time roster to do it again. 

The past two coaches left Oregon for their dream schools in Florida... Lanning doesn't seem to have that connection to another school out there. At least not that I have heard of to date. 

If Lanning wins a national championship then I think there is a good chance he stays for quite awhile. If he does that what's the incentive of leaving? I'm sure the money will come with success as well. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Really like the way people on this site think! Lanning has not won a single game yet but we are predicting what will happen once he wins a national championship. I call that the power of positive thinking!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:18 PM, David Marsh said:

If Lanning wins and wins big at Oregon he may just stay. 

Because of all who have come before him at Oregon the program is built for success at a national championship level. If Lanning wins that national championship at Oregon, he will have a big time roster to do it again. 

The past two coaches left Oregon for their dream schools in Florida... Lanning doesn't seem to have that connection to another school out there. At least not that I have heard of to date. 

If Lanning wins a national championship then I think there is a good chance he stays for quite awhile. If he does that what's the incentive of leaving? I'm sure the money will come with success as well. 

His motivation would be what's best for his family. If his mid-west values can stand Eugene and the PNW, then he could stay. The liberal ideology of the west coast is a far cry from mid-west or southern ones. Not every family can handle that.

If he were to win here, he would get offers at a LOT of schools. 

But, I hope that day comes, that would mean we had success.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/30/2022 at 11:36 AM, DanLduck said:

His motivation would be what's best for his family. If his mid-west values can stand Eugene and the PNW, then he could stay. The liberal ideology of the west coast is a far cry from mid-west or southern ones. Not every family can handle that.

If he were to win here, he would get offers at a LOT of schools. 

But, I hope that day comes, that would mean we had success.

I want a coach that loves being n Eugene.  If our money is standing in the way of his politics, he can apply to liberty U. 

That being said Mr. Lanning looks like a decent fellow and  most of us (Native from Eugene) get along with loggers and hippies alike.  If it is a problem I would have zero problem with him leaving.  You can’t sell Oregon football without selling Eugene.