olcodgerduck

Random Thoughts and Ponderments Regarding Ducks Men’s Basketball…

My knowledge of basketball is somewhat limited.  The closest I got to playing organized BB was as a freshman in high school (40+ yrs ago…) when I was one of the tallest kids in a small school in Alaska.  The BB coach kept after me to turn out for BB, and I kept telling him that I had very few physical talents that would translate to the BB court.  Finally I was persuaded to show up for practice, and after only 2 days he agreed with me.  LOL!!  And that was the end of my career in hoops. 

Consequently, most of what I do know about basketball has come as a result of watching/observing Coach Altman lead Our Beloved Ducks through the several years of his tenure to date.  My life’s work has been in auto repair where I am, as I am fond of claiming, a highly trained observer of all things mechanical.  My career has trained me to look for things that are different or out of the ordinary, leading me to perform repairs as needed to restore normalcy.  This frame of mind has led me to the following Ponderments…

Is Coach Altman still running the weave offense, or has he changed his base offense?  In years past, especially I remember this when Peyton Pritchard was running the offence, the weave was a thing of beauty – running back and forth across the half court until there was an opportunity for a slashing drive to the basket, or to step back for a 3-point shot just when the opponents’ defense was dragging down. (I always likened this in my mind to the defense being hypnotized, and our guys were just looking for the defenses’ eyes to glaze over, and then take their shot – much like Crocodile Dundee hypnotizing the water buffalo…).  Anyway, I’m just wondering if this is a permanent change, or is this an adjustment due to the availability of two dominant Big Men in the middle?

Which brings me to me second Ponderment.  Has it been a while since we’ve had this kind of dominating play inside from a pair of genuine big men?  I remember former Beloved Ducks like Jordan Bell and Chris Boucher who were very active around the rim, blocked a bunch of shots, but to my eye at least never seemed this dominating.  What I am seeing from N’Faly and Franck seems a lot different (and more intimidating to be truthful) than what I remember of former Ducks from the recent past.

Which leads me to my third Ponderment.  I love Franck Kepnang.  I love the energy and joy he brings to the game. I was going to say to the floor, but he is almost as active on the bench as he is on the floor!  I have been on the Franck Kepnang band wagon since last year, as you may remember from some previous posts.  I am delighted Franck is a part of Our Beloved Ducks team and it is refreshing to note his development.  Something I am enjoying this year is the development of a softer touch around the rim.  He certainly can slam it down with an intimidating authority, but he is getting some nice baskets with a finger roll or a touch off the glass – it’s nice to see the progress from the coaching input he is receiving.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the responses any of you might have to my Ponderments…

Go Ducks!!

Best Regards,

olcodgerduck

Edited by olcodgerduck
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Yes…..it is a joy to watch Franck give it his ALL on the floor….AND the bench!

• Thumbs Up 1

I love college basketball but due to being unable to watch the games has been o so frustrating. A small percentage of games get televised on local tv but most are on pack 12 that I don’t get. The few games I have watched leads me to believe that this team could go far in the tourney. The problem I’m seeing is inconsistent play and that doesn’t bode well for making that run. Hope I’m wrong cause this team seems very well balanced inside and out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I too, am a Franck fan. I am disappointed that he doesn't play more minutes because the team is best when he is on the floor. I like your observation about his contribution from the bench.

Altman is a king among coaches, but I would sure like to see him tell the big men to attack the rim and control the paint aggressively, and tell the perimeter players to feed them.

As you do I believe that the backcourt motion is modified, probably because of the front court talent.

Phillipina on the WBB team is like Franck. She's energetic, raw, coordinated, has soft hands and a good eye, and she plays like she loves the game.

From my amateur perspective coaching from my armchair at home I do not believe that either Graves or Altman are using or developing the Centers and Strong Forwards like they should be.

Sabally is the exception, but she gets the minutes and others feed her and get out of the way letting her work. 

Edited by Notalot
  • Thumbs Up 1

You make some good points . . . Kepnang is an ever-present bundle of enthusiasm, whether on or off the court.  As a guy who's played a lot of BB and watched it for years . . . not everybody brings that, and it's fun to see and be around.  He is athletically gifted and raw . . . the ability and timing to block shots is there, he just gets a little over-eager at times, and can tend to get into foul trouble.   Otherwise, I think he might get more minutes on the court.  Against some of the more skilled offensive players, it can be tough for big men to avoid fouling when opponents drive into the paint . . . and big men can be a liability if the other team is loaded with good perimeter shooters.  I think that's why we won't see too much of a "twin tower" lineup from Altman.

As to the Ducks' inconsistency . .  . the real issue here, I think, is consistent defensive excellence.  Everybody has off-nights shooting.  That can be mitigated by playing excellent individual and team defense, and rebounding well.  The games where the Ducks have struggled, they played very poor defense for stretches, combined with poor shooting, and even worse, poor free throw shooting.  When you get to the end of the season, and (hopefully!) into the Big Dance, you can't let that happen.  I'm sure Altman and his staff are really getting on them about defense . . . after all, defense "travels".  Altman's most successful teams had length (6' 8" or taller) at every position except PG, and really caused teams problems.  When guys are locked in on the perimeter, getting into passing lanes, and then you have a great rim protector on the back end (think Jordan Bell),  you've got the makings of a very good defense that will keep you in every game you play.

Which leads me to the Dante/Kepnang vs Bell/Boucher comparison . . . could the former become like the latter?  Perhaps.  But this is where I would nitpick . . . Bell and Boucher set Oregon game and season/career records for blocked shots, they were a terror for teams who tried to take the ball to the rim (Boucher had a knack for blocking shots at the perimeter too).   Neither Dante or Kepnang have reached their potential . . .  and they are not (yet) in the same league as Bell and Boucher.

Edited by GangGreen2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Didn't Tony Stubblefield work with the bigs prior to leaving for DePaul?  

I agree with GG2s assessments. Franck, N’Faly and Phillipina are all a little too aggressive at present and tend to get into foul trouble early. In order to keep them in the entire game, Altman has to give them selective bench time. They are really diamonds that need to be cut. And like diamonds, they need to be cut carefully. I trust Altman is very good at developing players as he’s had to patch up a new team practically every year. 
As for the weave, this indeed opens up our biggies in the paint or allows for open lanes for the guards to attack. 

Edited by SoCalDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/2/2022 at 8:21 AM, GangGreen2 said:

the real issue here, I think, is consistent defensive excellence.  Everybody has off-nights shooting

It was this that caused the L at home against Colorado, The big lead for the Ducks was built on amazing shooting, everything was going in; teams can't keep that up. So eventually they started missing. But the D wasn't there to keep the lead. The Ducks became observers of the Buffs taking the game over.

A more purposeful performance was seen by the Ducks against the Beavers; what it looked like in the other games during the winning streak. Ball movement, getting the best shot before shooting the 3. Talking on defense.

I agree about the Bigs, Kepnang is a force, and improving on the offensive end. Dante has the size, needs to work on his game, to be a Deandre Ayton, formally at Arizona, now at center for the first place Phoenix Suns in the NBA. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As to the Ducks' inconsistency . .  . the real issue here, I think, is consistent defensive excellence. 

GangGreen2...you are new here, and your first post has great insight.  Please do keep posting often and WELCOME!

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Which leads me to the Dante/Kepnang vs Bell/Boucher comparison . . . could the former become like the latter?

The big difference is that Boucher could sneak out to the wing and drain treys, a match up nightmare for opposing defenses. Still lament the what could have been had Boucher been healthy for that Final Four run.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Thanks for adding ponderment to the language!  Regarding the weave, Altman seems to use it more when an opponent has a 3 ball focus, and spreads their perimeter defense a bit more.

We’ve had enough round-trips with Dana now to know when his teams get it; when they really understand how consistency is created by effort on the defensive end, and how that drives the offense. When that clicks, it’s like a light goes on. You can see it in their faces when they really understand that consistent effort pays off. The game gets simple, and they begin to play it with confidence and joy. You look at them, and you know it doesn’t matter who they’re playing because they know it’s all up to them.

• Thumbs Up 1

And olcodgerduckGREAT post for discussion--thanks for starting it!

Frank K_Oregon MBB Twitter.jpg

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck