FishDuck Article

Kenny Dillingham and the Up-Tempo Pro-Style Offense

During a signing day interview, Coach Kenny Dillingham proclaimed that his Oregon Ducks offense will be a Pro-Style offense that goes fast. The first thing that pops into most people’s heads when they hear that is something along the lines of an up-tempo copy of what the Stanford Cardinal do. That is not what Coach Dillingham means when he uses ...

Read the full article here...

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks for the update. Can't wait for spring ball to start.

Go Ducks Fly High

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for another wonderful article Eric!  You really did whet my appetite.  I can't wait to see the improvement to Oregon's offense from Coach Dillingham.  Imagine actual!y "scheming" instead of just being tougher!

"...a balanced offense with plays that are built around its playmakers."

"This idea of scheming an individual open actually extends to every eligible receiver on the offense. That goes for the running backs and every one of the wide receiver positions. Yes, there will be a progression that the quarterback goes through, but each play will be called to get a certain player open."

WOW! Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 4

I am ready to read more about it and to see it deployed effectively at Oregon.

Thanks Coach Boles.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Coach Boles for simplifying the basics and looking for future articles that get into specifics.

It takes a great deal of top level position groups to scheme an individual open.  We have an outstanding, experienced OL, young, yet talented TE group, hungry wide receivers and bigger running backs on the 2022 roster. Most all are battle tested and have tasted victories and butt-kicking defeats.

The QB position group has monster potential. 2-5☆'s and 1 high 4 star highlight the position. The team needs all 3 to understand, implement and execute the plays. Spring practice will help all this unfold. Nothing lass than 40 points per game will lead the Ducks to a CFP appearance. Don't depend on the defense to bail you out. Score often then score again and for good measure score some more.

The schedule is very difficult. With Georgia, BYU, Utah and possibly USC on the schedule the strength of schedule is there. Stop taking the game off against less talented teams and this could be a fun season.. I for one am ready for games being decided by half time.

• Thumbs Up 5

Great article!

65g6q7.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Great article coach, can't wait for more of the new offense to be revealed in the future. I hope the players are excited to be in an offense that will allow them to release their talent at the highest levels. I'm so excited for spring ball.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am grateful that you answered the question that I had, as did so many others.  You gave us quite a bit in a shorter article and it will be fun to watch as you break things down for us over the next year.

My THANKS!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I am cautiously optimistic that the Ducks will play an uptempo offense that is effective. Quickly running three plays and then punting obviously doesn’t get it done.

Proclaiming the intent to run 80 offensive plays per game may be somewhat optimistic. His FSU offense averaged 65.5 plays per game, and the Ducks average was 67.6. last year. (I didn’t check time of possession).

When hired at FSU Dillingham stated that he would run a fast paced pro-style offense focused on getting playmakers open.

I hope that his playmakers get open more often this year. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/16/2022 at 11:49 AM, Drake said:

I am cautiously optimistic that the Ducks will play an uptempo offense that is effective. Quickly running three plays and then punting obviously doesn’t get it done.

Proclaiming the intent to run 80 offensive plays per game may be somewhat optimistic. His FSU offense averaged 65.5 plays per game, and the Ducks average was 67.6. last year. (I didn’t check time of possession).

When hired at FSU Dillingham stated that he would run a fast paced pro-style offense focused on getting playmakers open.

I hope that his playmakers get open more often this year. 

I’m not so sure that the inability of his playmakers to get open at FSU was the cause of the offense’s moments of inconsistency. 

Thanks for the informative article, Coach. More involvement from our deep tight end group coming up? Yes, please.

Never could understand why MC didn’t use his tight ends much. They seemed to be running around wide open even when Herbert was here and hardly ever got the ball. Drove me batsh-t crazy.

I believe his idea was to use the TEs as mainly blockers to run the ball. By doing that he had an extra 2 blockers every play.