Charles Fischer

Jeffrey Bassa at Inside Linebacker? Here is the WHY and More...

"He's a guy that can be sideline to sideline, has the athleticism of a defensive back but has the physicality of a linebacker."  There is more to this article...

"I'm not a guy that wants a bunch of yes men around me." (Referring to the assistant coaches) Whew!  He is not from the Mario Cristobal school of managing!

My friends...there is SO MUCH in this article that is so different from what we've heard from the last number of coaches, that it makes my head spin.  This is BIG TIME...

Good gosh, I love so much of what I read here!

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

We can only hope these players buy into what this staff brings to the table. At the end of spring camp we will find out the answer. The kids that jump in the portal will be the ones that aren’t going to work into DLs plans or are just to lazy to try. The kids that are hanging around are the ones that will take the culture into the future and show up to play hard every down and that’s all we can ask. 

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow. Lanning really takes his 1% better each day philosophy seriously. That concept was behind nearly every quote in the article. It also made me think that he wasn't just the be st D coordinator in the country last year but that he was also one of the best at what he was in charge of last year. This year, he's in charge of the entire team!

Man I can't wait till September!

• Thumbs Up 3

Great stuff on giving the coaches and players feedback, while looking within himself for change. Sounds like he is trying to create a holistic concept of building a program. There will be a head coach, and everyone will be on the same page. 

I do like the emphasis on efficiency. One of the hallmarks of Chip Kelly's success was how efficient his practices were which translated to the field. Execution of plays and how one plays starts in practice. This is a great indication of how we will see a renewed emphasis of discipline on the field. Less mental lapse penalties, better special teams play and players in position to make plays. I also want to see players running to help teammates up and not celebrating simple the play. Save it for after the win.

My concern for a first time coach is being allayed as Coach Lanning illuminates his vision for the team. We are now starting to see it in action. Nothing, so far, has me concerned about his process or outcomes so far. We are seeing something special come to fruition. That still is going to take time, but like a beautiful full Oregon Pinot, well worth the wait.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 8:38 AM, Haywarduck said:

... I also want to see players running to help teammates up and not celebrating simple the play. Save it for after the win.

Yes, please!

• Thumbs Up 1

When you unpack this, I find similarities to his management style to those successful companies highlighted in the book “Good to Great”. Specifically the blameless autopsy and to be brutally honest, not only with themselves but each other. Teamwork, accountability, positive feedback, and communication flowing both ways. Great way to get the flywheel turning.......,

• Thumbs Up 3

From day 1 all his moves have been spot on. I believe we will reach the promise land. Just can't see how it won't happen. Go Ducks Fly High

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/13/2022 at 10:49 AM, Duck 1972 said:

From day 1 all his moves have been spot on. I believe we will reach the promise land. Just can't see how it won't happen. Go Ducks Fly High

I will say it out loud, I actually won't mind if he struggles or doesn't get the national title, or national title right away. He is going about things the right way. I can't see how it won't happen, but I also see it happening the Oregon way! 

He is developing young student athletes into men of character. Much like Rich Brooks who had lots of success, but we don't judge him by his win-loss record. I have little doubt he will have much success, but it will be a process, one we must respect.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I understand you and others being cautious and to expect growing pains. But to me it sure seems that it will be a great start right out of the gate. 

Not only is he and his staff exhibiting positives but we have experience and talent across the field.

There's plenty of examples of quick starts and I just can't think of why this would be any different given the situation. 

I could be a homer and have rose colored glasses but for the life of me I just can't believe anything else until it doesn't happen.

Go Ducks Fly High