Charles Fischer

Husky Fan Reactions to Gregory Coming to Oregon: Whew!

Bob Gregory coming to Oregon as an analyst from Washington got the ire and respect of some Husky fans.  I do think it is so cute when they refer to us as the "Zeros;" like the number of National Championship won by Husky men?

My friends....in case you did not notice...for Oregon Football News....this current time is like the DEAD SEA, and tidbits like this below are amusing to read during such a time.  For those who do not wish to read what Husky fans are writing--don't.

"Don’t kid yourself He’s a good coach and a nice pickup for Oregon if it happens."

"I agree that he's a good coach and a good guy, and they're not asking him to be the DC. I just think he's spent an entire career at places known for the highest ethical standards, and landing at a place that is known for the opposite. I wish him all the best, as soon as he leaves Eugene."

"Objectively, it's a good move for the Zeros (I refuse to use the word "smart" in connection with them). They have a pretty new staff that does not have recent experience playing or coaching against Pac-12 teams. Whether we liked Gregory at UW or not, they get a seasoned Pac-12 defensive coach and recent DC of a consistently top 3 defense to help them scout all of the other Pac-12 teams.

Gregory has prepared or been an integral part of preparing for and executing relatively successful defensive game plans against these teams for almost a decade. He is not allowed to be in a recruiting role (his Achilles heel at UW) if he is an off-field defensive analyst. Besides, the Zeros have above average to strong recruiters up and down their coaching staff, so he adds relatively little value there. Their perceived weakness as a coaching staff is coaching chops.

Commentary: Making the Argument for Bob Gregory as Husky DC - Sports  Illustrated Washington Huskies News, Analysis and More

I would say that Gregory is definitely a net positive in that department for them. I bet Tosh Lupoi is pushing hard for this, since Gregory was his DC when he played at Cal. Gregory also coaches the same position group as Tosh does, so perhaps Tosh feels that BG can be a redundancy for him at that position group, as well?"

"Lol he went from our DC and interim HC to an “Analyst” for Oregon. That tells you everything you need to know about how bad we were under JL."

"Bob Gregory was not a great DC but I think he was a good LBer coach that was unfortunate enough to play in a defense that was very unfriendly to ILBs the last few years. He wasn’t a great recruiter but he was a good position coach. And if he does get hired as an analyst he’s not going to be asked to do much recruiting at all."

"LMAO. Let me get this straight. So Ulo (a walk-on) doesn’t count as a hidden gem find for Gregory because Ulo worked hard? But the other coaches find hidden gems but they Do count because it furthers your argument? I’m not saying I want Bob Gregory back as our ILB coach. But the man did have an eye for talent. He just wasn’t able to recruit well enough to get most of his targets. But my main point is to laugh at your take that all the other coaches found hidden gems when Bob didn’t… even though our two starters this year are hidden gems lol."

"I know he's a good coach ... but don't sell yourself and work for a program that continually used negative recruiting tactics during your time at UW ... sit on the sidelines till something better comes up ..."

"Gregory absolutely did not want to be the DC. He turned down Lake when he asked him initially. But good ole Jimmy circled around and came back and told him that he had to be the DC because there was nobody else."

"We all have our opinions, mine is that Gregory was not a good recruiter and so, so as a coach and horrible as a DC. And he chose to continue working for Lake even after figuring out what we did that he was a fake head coach. Anyway, glad he is now Oregon's problem."

Breaking News: Huskies Promote Bob Gregory to Co-Defensive Coordinator - UW  Dawg Pound

"I sincerely doubt that the Oregon staff looks at it that way. He’s a good defensive mind."

"Yes he is. Worked for Jeff Tedford and Chris Petersen. He could be a solid help for the Ducks. Adding some actual coaching help."

"He's a good coach that has been around the west coast forever. Good pickup for the Ducks."

"OH please make this happen...Everyone drop AD Rod Mullens a note and draw comparisons of Gregory to the great Oregon Alum Denny Shuler. Include the fact Denny scored the first Ducks TD ever in Autzen Stadium!"

"It’s Rob Mullens. BTW, Bellotti thought very highly of Gregory. Veteran coach in the Pac-12 should be a plus for this new staff."

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks Charles, that was some entertaining reading. Those fans are so delusional. It makes beating them that much more enjoyable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The fall of the once great, well thought of as great, dawg empire. A very good coach, who will help a lot, but going from head coach at dawgtown to an analyst at Oregon speaks volumes about the two programs directions!

Gotta love how husky fans repeatedly just believe that the Oregon program has no ethical standards and this a regular talking point for them. 

I don't see duck fans make imply Washington is lacking ethical standards... Bad decision making, inflated egos, their blind delusions of grandeur... Sure. 

Have the huskies had dubious ethical standards in the past... YEP! But that's not this current team. 

Has Oregon gotten in trouble in the past with recruiting.. yep... But again that isn't THIS staff. 

But I guess when your team is about as entertaining to watch as a dumpster fire... Gotta try and make other programs look bad to distract from the smell of yours. 

At least a few of them seem to have some common sense. They should be more angry at whomever hired Lake as HC. That was a crazy bad decision. Their AD should be rather uncomfortable about future job stability.

I think they need to spend some time analyzing their recent 95th ranked recruiting class, and figure out how to give in-state rival Wazzu a hard fought game.

I will be rooting for the Cougs to keep that Apple Cup secure for several more years. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/22/2022 at 6:48 PM, Drake said:

Their AD should be rather uncomfortable about future job stability

Jennifer Cohen for Washington AD in perpetuity

• Haha 2

Guest Axel

Anyone who took high-school history knows that Zeros were the most dreaded enemy aircraft in World War II. Zeros flew high, fast, and fearlessly.

Likewise, the current Oregon Ducks football program is flying high and fast over that lowly gang of lavender losers called the Washington Huskies. And for the past few decades, we have been carpet-bombing them.

Ka-boom! Ka-boom! KA-BOOM!!!

Of course, we must have a modicum of compassion for the prototypical ignorant Husky fan, whose academic prowess is stunted by an inferior academic institution. Put in language that Husky fans can understand, it’s not their fault that their school sucks.

Despite our magnanimous compassion, we retain the right to ridicule, taunt, and laugh at Husky fans until our sides hurt. And this we do on a daily basis. During football season, some Duck fans have ruptured their diaphragms from incessant laughing while watching the Huskies attempt to play football.

It would not be an exaggeration to say that Duck fans are the best the world has ever seen. Perhaps in some other galaxy billions of light years away, one could find the equal of a Duck fan, but we doubt it.

We support Our Beloved Ducks in a highly just manner; as such, our decorum is the envy of every law-school grad from those snooty Ivy League schools with lousy football teams.

We are even-handed and fair in our hypercritical, venomous rants that rip every Husky, living or dead. We are measured in temperament when verbally eviscerating those vile, supercilious halfwits who root for the Huskies.

And we are remarkably restrained in our bashing of Seattle, the most depraved, uncivilized town this side of Mogadishu. The Huskies are based in a city so wanton and debauched that the mascot for its NHL team is the Loch Ness Monster.

The crying that Husky fans learn in the crib goes unabated until they are laid to rest in the crypt. What are those nonstop weepers bawling about now? They’re hilariously unglued over the defection of defensive stalwart Bob Gregory to the Ducks’ vastly superior football program.

It is fun to watch. It is the very best kind of comedy. And we look forward to more sobs from those slobs up north. In fact, it’s possibly a myth that it rains all the time in Seattle. Most of that precipitation could well be Husky tears.

Edited by Axel

On 3/23/2022 at 12:07 PM, Axel said:

Anyone who took high-school history knows that Zeros were the most feared enemy aircraft in World War II. Zeros flew high, fast, and fearlessly.

Likewise, the current Oregon Ducks football program is flying high and fast over that lowly gang of lavender losers called the Washington Huskies. And for the past few decades, we have been carpet-bombing them.

Ka-boom! Ka-boom! KA-BOOM!!!

Of course, we must have a modicum of compassion for the prototypical ignorant Husky fan, whose academic prowess is stunted by an inferior academic institution. Put in language that Husky fans can understand, it’s not their fault that their school sucks.

Despite our magnanimous compassion, we retain the right to ridicule, taunt, and laugh at Husky fans until our sides hurt. And this we do on a daily basis. During football season, some Duck fans have ruptured their diaphragms from incessant laughing while watching the Huskies attempt to play football.

It would not be an exaggeration to say that Duck fans are the best the world has ever seen. Perhaps in some other galaxy billions of light years away, one could find the equal of a Duck fan, but we doubt it.

We support Our Beloved Ducks in a highly just manner; as such, our decorum is the envy of every law-school grad from those snooty Ivy League schools with lousy football teams.

We are even-handed and fair in our hypercritical, venomous rants that rip every Husky, living or dead. We are measured in temperament when verbally eviscerating those vile, supercilious halfwits who root for the Huskies.

And we are remarkably restrained in our bashing of Seattle, the most depraved, uncivilized town this side of Mogadishu. The Huskies are based in a city so wanton and debauched that the mascot for its NHL team is the Loch Ness Monster.

The crying that Husky fans learn in the crib goes unabated until they are laid to rest in the crypt. What are those nonstop weepers bawling about now? They’re hilariously unglued over the defection of defensive stalwart Bob Gregory to the Ducks’ vastly superior football program.

It is fun to watch. It is the very best kind of comedy. And we look forward to more sobs from those slobs up north. In fact, it’s possibly a myth that it rains all the time in Seattle. Most of that precipitation could well be Husky tears.

The Zeros, those there were left, were also good at crashing into enemy vessels in a useless attempt to defeat the American Navy in the Pacific. Apt comparison to where UW football is today?

Notwithstanding the terrible 'leadership' from the AD and the Jimmy Lake Experience, the UW football program is still in the Go Banking Rate list of the 25 most financially successful CFB teams over the last 3 seasons; the rankings exclude the 2020 COVID season. 

The other Pac-12 members in the financial top 25, the Ducks and USC. SC's move to grab Riley is being noted nationally. SC's spring game will be broadcast by ESPN; the other games will be broadcast on Larry's Network.

Thanks Axel for another great take.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/23/2022 at 11:07 AM, Axel said:

My only complaint about this Shakespearian piece of perfect prose is that its creator and perfecter doesn't post more persistently. 15 thumbs up for you sir!

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest Axel
On 3/23/2022 at 9:47 AM, Wrathis said:

My only complaint about this Shakespearian piece of perfect prose is that its creator and perfecter doesn't post more persistently. 15 thumbs up for you sir!

Thank you for very kind words. You truly made my day! 

On 3/23/2022 at 9:07 AM, Axel said:

In fact, it’s possibly a myth that it rains all the time in Seattle. Most of that precipitation could well be Husky tears.

This is another example of where the reaction emojis are quite incomplete.  This deserves more than a laugh or a thumbs-up, even more than a clap....it deserves a Standing-on-Chair applause emoji!

It is on the list for additions to the forum!  And thanks again for making my day!

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Guest Axel
On 3/23/2022 at 10:04 AM, Charles Fischer said:

And thanks again for making my day

Thank you, Sir Charles, for your steadfast, flawless guidance and your always encouraging words.

On 3/23/2022 at 11:54 AM, Axel said:

steadfast, flawless guidance

Damn.  Just about snorted my coffee again!

We gotta get those new emojis for us!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck