FishDuck Article

Who Is Set to BREAKOUT for Oregon in 2022?

While tradition, pageantry and gameday atmosphere are all part of what makes college football, it’s the superstar players that sell tickets. For the fans who tune in on Saturdays to see the headliners, the 2022 season certainly won’t disappoint. The country is full of premier players this season. Bryce Young will begin his Heisman defense tour, but CJ Stroud and ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Interesting take, Mr. Fishduck. I am waiting to attend the spring game and see 1) Who pops out, and 2) What, if anything, can be gleaned from what our offense is doing.

Joshua thanks, as always for taking the time to create this article.

I agree with Badwater that seeing who pops at the spring game will give us a better picture.

Next man up has always been the continuing story for all teams no matter the sport. Here's your chance, your opportunity are you ready willing and able to seize it?

Some rise to the occasion while others do not.

This year more than ever it may not be about who pops or stands out. Rather who stays, transfers out or transfers in. The new landscape of college sports is ever evolving. Some for the good and some for the bad. Such is life..........

• Thumbs Up 3

He is 6' 5" and runs a 4.43 40. The only reason he didn't break out last season is now in Miami. The kid sat on the bench after averaging a touchdown every other catch. I suppose he also needs a qb who can throw the ball, and see the field, but that hopefully won't be the issue it was last year. 

Breakout is a great term to describe what is going to happen this year. Unleash the hounds, I say. The other guy to breakout is our only Butkus Award winner out of high school ever to sign to play for the Ducks. If he can stay healthy we are going to see a defense which will be unlike anything we have ever seen. QB's are going to be seeing shadows for a couple games after playing the Ducks. The tackling ability of Noah and the speed of a safety is going to be unleashed on college football. Look out for the college Butkas award arriving at Oregon.

Basically the Oregon we all knew and dreamed about is about to breakout of the shackles it has been under. The whole program is going to breakout with a few of the players exceeding even our wildest dreams!

69pvie.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

I have really wanted to see Spencer Webb break out but given Ferguson and Moliki, I doubt he gets that opportunity. That being said, I'm gonna piggyback off of Haywarduck bc he said it first and I can't improve upon that...

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/23/2022 at 8:41 AM, Wrathis said:

I have really wanted to see Spencer Webb break out but given Ferguson and Moliki, I doubt he gets that opportunity.

Webb, Ferguson, Moliki, Herbert...  Each one of these guys has a skillset that makes me drool. (Sorry, no video available.) Even though Mario's staff recruited this position very well, they weren't really involved much in the offense--other than for blocking. Webb certainly has shown he has excellent pass catching skills, if not great blocking ability. In the new Dillingham offense, I'm looking forward to more passes thrown to the tight end.

Maybe Webb will be a breakout star. Maybe Herbert will get healthy and become a breakout player. Or maybe either Ferguson or Moliki will continue to develop beyond the promising consistency they showed as true freshmen last season to become stars. Maybe we'll end up just saying that the "tight end group" became a breakout star in 2022. Frankly, I'd be good with that.

BTW, I always make sure I have a solid TE on my fantasy football teams (Kelce, Kittle, Waller...).  Frankly, as an old Baltimore Colts fan, I've loved the position since John Mackey first burst onto the scene. And, as a fan of Air Coryell a few years later, I loved me some Kellen Winslow.  Sorry about the old man ramble...  

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 3

TE position, my sentimental vote would be for Cam McCormick to have THE breakout year. I would also love to see him have a strong 4 year NFL career so he has a pension and then leave with his body is decent shape. The kid has had more bad luck than Ann Hodges.

Ok, Ann is the only person known to have been hit by a meteorite. Cam certainly has all the measureables, and it seems like all the things you can't measure, best of luck to this guy, this year and going forward!

Unknown-2.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Thanks Joshua. Always enjoy reading your articles.

Between Stroud, Young and Williams, Stroud has by far the best and deepest group of returning WRs. 10 WRs on the Buckeyes spring roster. All were top 150 recruits.

There is a reason Bama went after one of UGA's best receivers. After Metchie and Williamson went down, none of the young WR's on the Bama roster came through; especially, in the champ game and as so noted by Coach Saban. WR recruiting at Bama has missed the mark the last couple of seasons.

I agree that LB Anderson was perhaps the best player in CFB in 2021, and he is going to wreck havoc this season. But I sense that the gap is closing between Bama and the rest of the SEC W? If the Tigers do not go on probation, watch out for LSU. No matter what one may think of Brian Kelly, he is a heck of a coach.

Williams? London is gone. Who will step up at wideout for SC? The 'other' Williams coming in from OK to play WR is the obvious choice to emerge as Caleb's go-to guy. With Jones coming in from Stanford and Dye (sigh) from the Ducks, SC looks to be in great shape at the RB position.

Thompson? It would be great if Ty can win the starting job. He could not beat out journeyman AB last season, but was he given a true shot at the job? If Nix' ankle is healed it will be a tough ask to beat out a guy with Nix' game experience and his experience playing in Dillingham's system.

If Ty or Butterfield cannot beat out Nix, who has 2 years of eligibility left, I hope one or both do not portal out. The portal is one reason I expect the starting QB not to be named before fall practice.

Flowe? As you so noted if he can stay healthy he has AA potential. But from what we have seen it's a big ask for Flowe to make it through the season without being injured.? 

Definitely need one of the RBs to break out in 2022. Definitely need the OL to help the run game and to start consistently playing up to their respective recruiting rankings.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/23/2022 at 12:39 PM, Haywarduck said:

TE position, my sentimental vote would be for Cam McCormick to have THE breakout year. I would also love to see him have a strong 4 year NFL career so he has a pension and then leave with his body is decent shape. The kid has had more bad luck than Ann Hodges.

Ok, Ann is the only person known to have been hit by a meteorite. Cam certainly has all the measureables, and it seems like all the things you can't measure, best of luck to this guy, this year and going forward!

Unknown-2.jpeg

Great take. I hope Flowe is not on the same 'career path' as Cam?

• Thumbs Up 1

Could be that running backs in the stable could break out. Anyone’s guess who that might be but if our offense can consistently move the ball thru the air then our backs should have more running room than we saw in the last few seasons. There are talented guys in the running back room and anyone of them could be the guy depending on how Dillingham chooses to use them.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/23/2022 at 12:03 PM, Just Ducky said:

Could be that running backs in the stable could break out. Anyone’s guess who that might be but if our offense can consistently move the ball thru the air then our backs should have more running room than we saw in the last few seasons. There are talented guys in the running back room and anyone of them could be the guy depending on how Dillingham chooses to use them.

I also like this take. Last year teams KNEW we couldn't throw the ball down the field and still they couldn't stop Cardwell. He reminds me so very much of the Rolls Royce Freeman and as you so aptly pointed out, with us (hopefully) pushing the ball vertically through the air, there should be great running lanes for him to blitz up the field! While I'll miss Dye (it feels akin to being cheated on, but I get it), I expect great things from Byron this season. However, if I'm expecting someone to make national headlines that didn't last year, I'm going with Flowe...

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/23/2022 at 1:03 PM, Just Ducky said:

I was wondering when someone would mention running backs. Cardwell has a great chance to break out. He has all the tools to be a great running back, I think we saw the tip of the iceberg last season and he won't be alone as a very talented running back this coming season.

I'm wondering about Nix. I know it's maybe not a break out season since he's been starting since he was a freshman, but I think there is a sense that he has never lived up to his potential. Could this be the year and right situation where he lives up to that potential? If not he has some young guys on his heals who could be break out guys as mentioned above.

I feel like we should also look to Bennett Williams as a true breakout defensive star... he has all the tools to be a disruptive star, and, if healthy, will provide a lot of highlight clips before he heads to the NFL.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/23/2022 at 10:26 AM, Haywarduck said:

He is 6' 5" and runs a 4.43 40. The only reason he didn't break out last season is now in Miami. The kid sat on the bench after averaging a touchdown every other catch. I suppose he also needs a qb who can throw the ball, and see the field, but that hopefully won't be the issue it was last year. 

Breakout is a great term to describe what is going to happen this year. Unleash the hounds, I say. The other guy to breakout is our only Butkus Award winner out of high school ever to sign to play for the Ducks. If he can stay healthy we are going to see a defense which will be unlike anything we have ever seen. QB's are going to be seeing shadows for a couple games after playing the Ducks. The tackling ability of Noah and the speed of a safety is going to be unleashed on college football. Look out for the college Butkas award arriving at Oregon.

Basically the Oregon we all knew and dreamed about is about to breakout of the shackles it has been under. The whole program is going to breakout with a few of the players exceeding even our wildest dreams!

69pvie.jpg

I love it! And the picture says it all!

On 3/23/2022 at 12:18 PM, WiseKwacker said:

Webb, Ferguson, Moliki, Herbert...  Each one of these guys has a skillset that makes me drool. (Sorry, no video available.) Even though Mario's staff recruited this position very well, they weren't really involved much in the offense--other than for blocking. Webb certainly has shown he has excellent pass catching skills, if not great blocking ability. In the new Dillingham offense, I'm looking forward to more passes thrown to the tight end.

Maybe Webb will be a breakout star. Maybe Herbert will get healthy and become a breakout player. Or maybe either Ferguson or Moliki will continue to develop beyond the promising consistency they showed as true freshmen last season to become stars. Maybe we'll end up just saying that the "tight end group" became a breakout star in 2022. Frankly, I'd be good with that.

BTW, I always make sure I have a solid TE on my fantasy football teams (Kelce, Kittle, Waller...).  Frankly, as an old Baltimore Colts fan, I've loved the position since John Mackey first burst onto the scene. And, as a fan of Air Coryell a few years later, I loved me some Kellen Winslow.  Sorry about the old man ramble...  

I could not agree more, the TE position has been sorely underutilized and we have a bunch of talent at the position. I'd love to see one or more of the players have a big year.

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2022 at 12:48 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Thanks Joshua. Always enjoy reading your articles.

Between Stroud, Young and Williams, Stroud has by far the best and deepest group of returning WRs. 10 WRs on the Buckeyes spring roster. All were top 150 recruits.

There is a reason Bama went after one of UGA's best receivers. After Metchie and Williamson went down, none of the young WR's on the Bama roster came through; especially, in the champ game and as so noted by Coach Saban. WR recruiting at Bama has missed the mark the last couple of seasons.

I agree that LB Anderson was perhaps the best player in CFB in 2021, and he is going to wreck havoc this season. But I sense that the gap is closing between Bama and the rest of the SEC W? If the Tigers do not go on probation, watch out for LSU. No matter what one may think of Brian Kelly, he is a heck of a coach.

Williams? London is gone. Who will step up at wideout for SC? The 'other' Williams coming in from OK to play WR is the obvious choice to emerge as Caleb's go-to guy. With Jones coming in from Stanford and Dye (sigh) from the Ducks, SC looks to be in great shape at the RB position.

Thompson? It would be great if Ty can win the starting job. He could not beat out journeyman AB last season, but was he given a true shot at the job? If Nix' ankle is healed it will be a tough ask to beat out a guy with Nix' game experience and his experience playing in Dillingham's system.

If Ty or Butterfield cannot beat out Nix, who has 2 years of eligibility left, I hope one or both do not portal out. The portal is one reason I expect the starting QB not to be named before fall practice.

Flowe? As you so noted if he can stay healthy he has AA potential. But from what we have seen it's a big ask for Flowe to make it through the season without being injured.? 

Definitely need one of the RBs to break out in 2022. Definitely need the OL to help the run game and to start consistently playing up to their respective recruiting rankings.

I certainly agree with all of this, and I'd love to see an RB (likely Caldwell) emerge, as many have noted. I think our O-Line will be a real strength this season, so whoever gets the majority of the carries should have some holes to run through.

On 3/23/2022 at 3:08 PM, Glenn said:

I feel like we should also look to Bennett Williams as a true breakout defensive star... he has all the tools to be a disruptive star, and, if healthy, will provide a lot of highlight clips before he heads to the NFL.

I like this one a lot. He could be a real leader on defense this season.

He was playing like all PAC 12 last year before he got hurt in a non contact drill. 

On 3/23/2022 at 10:00 PM, Joshua Whitted said:

I like this one a lot. He could be a real leader on defense this season.

Watch out!

Another fine effort Joshua! The player I’m most excited about is Justin Flowe. His highlights reel was just ridiculously exciting, best one I’ve ever seen!