30Duck

Beavers Like Rats from a Sinking Ship

The one thing they could have said next season was that they'd have experience back, now that's out. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2022 at 3:51 PM, 30Duck said:

The one thing they could have said next season was that they'd have experience back, now that's out. 

Who wants 3 - 28 (0 for 2022) experience?

Oh, I don't think the ship is sinking, it's next to the Titanic.

• Haha 2

Let's hear some ideas for Season Tickets for 2022-23?

"It Probably won't be as Bad as Last Year!"

"When the Tough Got Going, They All Left"

OSU Basketball "Forget the Madness"

• Haha 2

On 3/29/2022 at 4:08 PM, 30Duck said:

"It Probably won't be as Bad as Last Year!"

"When the Tough Got Going, They All Left"

OSU Basketball "Forget the Madness"

Or,

"It CAN'T be as Bad as Last Year"

"When the Tough Got Going, Oh Yea, Never Got Going"

"OSU Basketball, Madness is Buying Tickets, Forget That"

This could be worse beyond even just the optics. 

Losing 6 players is really bad and losing more is even worse. 

I had to look up the numbers as I don't keep the basketball ones in my head but by the looks of it there are only 13 full scholarship players on a team... The. Some walk ons. 

It is possible that Oregon state at this rate might barely have a team come next year. Or it might just be loaded with walk ons... Which will create a cycle of disaster as more transfer out. 

This could destroy their program for years to come. We haven't really seen the transfer portal dismantle teams just yet but it is certainly coming.

• Thumbs Up 1

Perhaps it’s like scrabble when you ave to toss all your tiles because you can’t even make a move  for a two letter word. 3-28 and a remaining 9 year contract for the guy that built that.  PUUUU...........something smells.........

Has there ever been a more dramatic fall?

This was a team that last year made it to the elite 8, and was in a great position to capitalize on that success in 2022.

But it’s clear that Tinkle was the only one to benefit, with a nice raise and an extension. 

To go 3-28 is almost unimaginable.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/30/2022 at 11:07 AM, DUCKED said:

Has there ever been a more dramatic fall?

This was a team that last year made it to the elite 8, and was in a great position to capitalize on that success in 2022.

But it’s clear that Tinkle was the only one to benefit, with a nice raise and an extension. 

To go 3-28 is almost unimaginable.

King Kong from The Empire State Building?

Had such high hopes for conference CBB after the 2020 tourney; looked like the concentrated effort to improve conference hoops had paid off. Then? More bids for the Mountain West and no Elite 8 teams.

Guest Axel

Here we go again with another ridiculous Top 10 list…

Top 10 Slogans for 2022-23 Oregon State Beavers Basketball 

10.   If you thought last year was a disaster, we’re still looking for a fifth player.

9.  It’s a Tinkle fest!

8.   Football isn’t the only thing we suck at.

7.   If peace and quiet is what you seek, come to Gill Coliseum!

6.   I love this game! But our team is pretty, pretty awful.

5.   We’ve got a great baton twirler for half-time.

4.   Thank God, Ralph Miller isn’t alive to watch this train wreck.

3.   We’re disgusted, too. But we’ve got to sell some tickets, damn it.

2.   Even Benny Beaver is transferring out.

1.   Basketball fever--catch it! Just 47 miles south.

This doesn’t help the look for the pack that’s for sure. The portal will be bursting at the seams by the end of spring. This will test the best of coaches to try to pick the player that fits their team best. As if they don’t have enough on their plate.

On 3/29/2022 at 9:43 PM, David Marsh said:

It is possible that Oregon state at this rate might barely have a team come next year. Or it might just be loaded with walk ons... Which will create a cycle of disaster as more transfer out. 

Great point. The year before last was great for the Beavs, and what we've come to expect for the Ducks. Last season was a disappointment for the Ducks, still 20 wins though. OSU goes 3-28, winless in 2022? This is a team in The Conference of Champions?

Although I always want to kick their a$$e$ (or trip their cheerleaders) when we play them in basketball, I've got no personal animosity towards the Beavs otherwise. Hey, my son and daughter-in-law are OSU alums. I actually rooted for them in that amazing run they had during last year's March Madness. 

So, when they hired Tinkle, I first thought he would be a solid hire after the Craig Robinson disaster. And, Tinkle started out with a gangbuster recruiting bang, bringing in his kid and Stephen Thompson's two kids. But, then, he never has recruited any other high school kids who are at that same level. Yes, he's had a few high school recruits (Lucas, Eubanks, Reichle, etc.) who've played solid basketball for the Beavs. But, those guys weren't recruited by any of the major basketball schools.  Since those first 3 guys, he's mainly pulled in high school kids who had to be developed along with transfers. 

Tinkle, in my view, is not a bad bench coach. He just can't recruit. And, to fire Thompson, his longtime sidekick, says that either he's panicking or he's under orders from the OSU Athletic Department admin to clean house because they can't fire him.  Either way, I'll be really surprised if they do any better next season than they did this season. Let's just hope they don't go all crazy and talk Gary Payton into becoming their next head coach.  I've seen enough of that guy over the years...

On 3/29/2022 at 4:08 PM, 30Duck said:

"Forget the Madness"

More March sanity in Beaver nation.

• Haha 1