David Marsh

Will NIL Bring Back the Meaning of Bowl Season?

Ok, so here's a thought that came to me today. 

We are still in the early stages of NIL and there is a whole lot of stuff that needs to be worked out in terms of how these contracts are structured. One thing that is not inconceivable is that an NIL contract can be structured in such a way that a player must participate (I'll leave the full language for the lawyers to work out) in their bowl game to receive payment. This would get rid of the opt outs overnight because players wouldn't want to void their NIL deals. 

The other thing that could happen as well if Bowl games might be an incentive to pay players NIL deals for playing in the bowl games, though this would probably take more of the form of a team getting a chunk of money as their bowl participation... maybe more money if you win? 

Bowl season has become pretty boring in my respects. It will be cool to see Bowl season get some of its shine back, the playoff really ruins most bowl games but still. Maybe NIL can help bring back bowl season. 

Thoughts? 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/30/2022 at 1:32 PM, David Marsh said:

Thoughts? 

Many moves need to be made to deal with the NIL that just blew up with no prep time. Your idea of incentivizing is tried and true. 

Hard to legislate bowl requirements.  NIL people may want a healthy pro, so they could add to the problem.

Works in most successful businesses don’t see how it couldn’t help. We called it PFP. Pay for Performance.

On 3/30/2022 at 1:47 PM, Steven A said:

Hard to legislate bowl requirements.  NIL people may want a healthy pro, so they could add to the problem.

They can also get more marketing material from a Bowl Game appearance .... a chance for their player to hold up a trophy surrounded by teammates... that sounds like a great photo op as any. 

Granted it comes down to... how many of these NIL boosters care about a player beyond their college career? 

I look at most bowl games as regular season games.  I don't feel like a couple players playing or sitting out really would make a difference in whether I watch or not.

On 3/30/2022 at 2:30 PM, David Marsh said:

how many of these NIL boosters care about a player beyond their college career? 

It will also depend on NIL deals that go beyond the college.  Thibs has an airline deal that I am assuming goes beyond college.

Information is sketchy and open to interpretation but wouldn't a requirement to participate in a bowl game run afoul of the third item listed below?  Of course, although this was a cut-and-paste from an NCAA Q&A document it is obvious the second item carries no weight.

11. What is prohibited under the new policy? Subject to state law, the following is prohibited under the new interim policy:

• NIL agreement without quid pro quo (e.g., compensation for work not performed). Student-athlete NIL agreements should include the expected NIL deliverables by a student-athlete in exchange for the agreed upon compensation and student-athletes must be compensated only for work actually performed.

• NIL compensation contingent upon enrollment at a particular school. For example, institutions should not use NIL arrangements to improperly induce matriculation (e.g., guaranteeing a particular NIL opportunity upon enrollment);

• Compensation for athletic participation or achievement. Athletic performance may enhance a student-athlete’s NIL value, but athletic performance may not be the “consideration” for NIL compensation.

• Institutions providing compensation in exchange for the use of a student-athlete’s name, image or likeness.

Great take my friend. Most certainly in this day and age when, not if, the playoff goes to 12 teams, the player's are going to have to get part of 'the cut.'

After all, coaches get bonuses for bowl games, why not the players?

Unless you are playing for it 'ALL' and being paid in the process why risk your NFL future?

NIL cannot be regulated by the NCAA and will not be regulated before there is a CFB players union. I don't particularly like it but that's a fact, Jack.

This is an ESPN insider article, so you have to pay to read it.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0330%2Fr993177_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

From organization to tampering to year-round recruiting, here are the key takeaways from another year of the transfer portal.

One personnel director estimated 80% of players have already made a decision before entering the portal.

If 80% of players have already made their decision, then why are there so many kids in the portal?  The math doesn't add up.

The whole idea of NIL is players are getting something for the use of their Name, Image or Likeness in marketing or promotional income. If they don't play NIL will mean Nest In Line, and they will get the money for their use in the bowl game.

I doubt a Thibs type player is going to be influenced by putting his body at risk for bowl NIL money in comparison to NFL money unless there is a massive insurance policy. I would think the answer to get these guys to play is the insurance the NFL money will still be there. NIL money will only go so far.

I will say 80% have made a decision before entering the transfer portal, most of them a poor decision.

Great take.

I very much doubt that the CFB Playoff will move to a 12 team field after 2025 without agreeing to pay the players involved in the playoff. 

As you note, even under a contract, a player who do not want to risk NFL $ will not have to play in these games. Of course in such a case they will not be compensated.

With a 12 team playoff field, how many bowl sponsors will be willing to pay players, at least certain star players, to play in a 'lesser' bowl game?

How much will you have to pay a star player to compete in an exhibition game and put his NFL career at risk? What kind of ROI can you expect from such a payment? It's not the same as a committee buying a HS player's NIL rights so he will attend the 'committee's school.' 

I expect we will see playoff expansion and the disappearance of many of the smaller bowls. Especially, if/when we arrive at the day of direct pay-for-play and a Super League.

I apologize for the 'duplicate' reply.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 3/30/2022 at 6:30 PM, McDuck said:

Information is sketchy and open to interpretation but wouldn't a requirement to participate in a bowl game run afoul of the third item listed below?  Of course, although this was a cut-and-paste from an NCAA Q&A document it is obvious the second item carries no weight.

11. What is prohibited under the new policy? Subject to state law, the following is prohibited under the new interim policy:

• NIL agreement without quid pro quo (e.g., compensation for work not performed). Student-athlete NIL agreements should include the expected NIL deliverables by a student-athlete in exchange for the agreed upon compensation and student-athletes must be compensated only for work actually performed.

• NIL compensation contingent upon enrollment at a particular school. For example, institutions should not use NIL arrangements to improperly induce matriculation (e.g., guaranteeing a particular NIL opportunity upon enrollment);

• Compensation for athletic participation or achievement. Athletic performance may enhance a student-athlete’s NIL value, but athletic performance may not be the “consideration” for NIL compensation.

• Institutions providing compensation in exchange for the use of a student-athlete’s name, image or likeness.

The above 'sounds good' but it isn't happening and the NCAA post-Alston and turning CFB control over to the P5/G5 is not going to enforce this format.

Edited by Jon Joseph