Charles Fischer

It Begins: Pac-12's Kliavkoff, SEC's Sankey to Meet With U.S. Senators for NIL Legislation

Perhaps this marks the beginning of sanity returning?  Good that the Pac-12/Alliance is there with representation....and some very BIG sentences in that short article.  Whew!

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0120%2Fr964012_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey and Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff will meet with U.S. senators on Thursday to ask for legislative help surrounding name, image and likeness policies.

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Great to see Sankey and GK on the same page! 

IMO, GK's decision not to expand the playoff without knowing the financial terms and conditions as the result of expansion had to resonate with Sankey; a guy who was publicly disappointed with the nay votes of the Pac-12, ACC and B1G.

Sankey is a business person first and foremost. He like GK is well aware that the NCAA cannot control 'the issues of the day' and a uniform federal law is the only way in which to rein in conflicting state laws. 

I see this as very good news for CFB and for the Pac-12 going forward,

This is the answer. The NCAA was and is to weak to do much of anything. Now just need some sanity with portal. NCAA should be able to affect this.

On 5/5/2022 at 8:47 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I see this as very good news for CFB and for the Pac-12 going forward,

Yes, we have arrived at the edge of the cliff, looked down and stepped back.  Now we are beginning to ask..."how do we cross this or get around it?"

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I don't understand why there is not more discussion to this announcement, as it is the most consequential news to surface in the entire NIL discussion. Considering all the predictions of doom...??

giphy.gif

Athletes are employees, no matter what name you call them.  Should Starbucks CEO lobby our congressman to codify low wages and strip baristas of NIL chances?  How far do you want the CEO’s of any industry to dictate, by law, our opportunity to generate revenue for ourselves?  

On 5/5/2022 at 3:24 PM, Pocketchange said:

Athletes are employees, no matter what name you call them.  Should Starbucks CEO lobby our congressman to codify low wages and strip baristas of NIL chances?  How far do you want the CEO’s of any industry to dictate, by law, our opportunity to generate revenue for ourselves?  

Man, pretty broad statement here my friend. The majority of scholarship sports sponsored by Oregon lose money for the school.

The Starbucks CEO is governed by myriad federal and local rules regarding minimum wage, satisfactory and healthy working conditions, the requirement to contribute to FICA and FUTA, etc. 

Is it wrong for the big business of CFB to seek some uniform guidelines as to how, under federal and not myriad state laws, their business should be operated in accordance with law?

With all due respect, I see no nexus between Starbuck employees and guys and gals receiving a full or partial scholarship to attend school and receive an education. Except, that some Starbuck employees make big bank and others make minimum wage. Just like student-athletes in sports that do not bring in revenues as do CFB and CBB and receive partial scholarships.

Sankey and GK are not in DC with a goal of punishing student athletes or unreasonably restricting their "right's," they are there to foment operational guidelines that are fair to the athletes and to the universities. Why? Because the NCAA has completely failed in this regard.

I do not believe that either man has a beef with student-athletes capitalizing or her or his athletic achievement. Rather, I believe the concern is that people paying high school kids to attend their school will further alter the competitive nature of CFB?

BTW, in addition to the rules and regulations noted above, Starbucks is also governed by anti-trust legislation. 

Respect your opinion. But I do not believe that CFB that has been in existence for over 100 years, has ever looked at the Players as indentured servants?

• Mic drop 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 5/5/2022 at 2:49 PM, Jon Joseph said:

But I do not believe that CFB that has been in existence for over 100 years, has ever looked at the Players as indentured servants

Respect that opinion, but I think the schools have been profiting off the backs of the CFB athletes far in excess of the cost of education, especially in the days of 1-year renewable scholarships and that football players essentially fund so many other sports.  So, I would put that in an indentured category of sorts.  

On 5/5/2022 at 2:49 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Respect your opinion. But I do not believe that CFB that has been in existence for over 100 years, has ever looked at the Players as indentured servants?

Always glad to hear your opinion, especially if you disagree.

ncaa-microphone.jpg
WWW.SI.COM

Athletic directors say schools with boosters who have struck deals with players who have not yet signed with schools should be sanctioned.

• Applause 1