30Duck

USA Today Poll has 3 Pac-12 Teams in Their Way Too Early Poll. None of them are USC

No.6 is Utah, Oregon is No. 14 and rounding out the trifecta is UCLA at No.22. BYU comes in at No.9.

USATSI_18139434.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Dan Lanning and the Ducks are ranked prominently in USA TODAY Sports’ latest top-25. The Trojans, on the other hand…

• Go Ducks! 2

And..... none of them are Miami either.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sure why Utah is getting so much love.

Last year they fielded the best defense they've had since I can remember, and it was still prone to struggle against the better passing teams.

Now, they replace the two best LBs they've ever had, and they still will have trouble with elite passing teams.

If AB would've been able to hit those open seam routes last year, we smoke them.  So I'm not impressed with this ranking (Nix DOES hit seam routes well, so his sloppiness is the only concern).

BYU is pretty good, but they're not top ten material.  Point blank.  If we generate the kind of points Duck fans are used to, they go down in Eugene.

By the way, early estimations have OBD favored in all but two games (Utah and UGA).  About what they should be in my opinion.

The big question is how quickly DL gets this team to perform at a high level.  The talent is definitely there to control all but UGA.  But... As we all know, is tough to run the table in the PAC12.  

Averaging 42/17 will do it though.  

Let's see what happens.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/7/2022 at 12:30 PM, Mike West said:

Last year they fielded the best defense they've had since I can remember, and it was still prone to struggle against the better passing teams.

Now, they replace the two best LBs they've ever had, and they still will have trouble with elite passing teams.

A lot is seeming to be made of the Utes' destruction of the Ducks in their two games at the end of last season, while as you note, much will be different about both teams this season, not to mention that last season the Ducks beat the team that beat the Utes in the Rose Bowl. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 12:30 PM, Mike West said:

The talent is definitely there to control all but UGA.

Agreed.  And, this year we have the chip on our shoulder vs Utah.  Plus, they do not have the extra No. 22 players to play for.

• Applause 1

This year our success boils down to our QB production. If our QB can avoid thinking that they need to win games all by themselves, and not force the passing game, we will be fine. 

Would love to see UCLA take out USC. USC fans would totally lose their minds since many are already claiming the PAC12 championship.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/7/2022 at 3:19 PM, Drake said:

This year our success boils down to our QB production. If our QB can avoid thinking that they need to win games all by themselves, and not force the passing game, we will be fine. 

Amen Duck-Brother. "Hero-Ball" is not needed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I don't feel we as Duck fans have to worry about any team on our schedule. I believe this is a team that has the experience in players that went from the high to the low last year.

They are a team that have improved players from their replacements they are taking over for almost at every level and position group.

This team has a sour taste in their mouths from last year. Just watch and see.

I believe they have better coaches top to bottom and culture this year.

They will be a team on a mission next Year! Can't wait!!!

Go Ducks Fly High

Edited by Duck 1972
Didn't finish accidentally posted.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Where are the Ducks ranked and do you have the entire top 25? Thanks.

I only see verbiage on Oregon, than the Utes and Bruins rankings. I'm guessing Oregon is 5 or higher?

If so, USA is making a big bet on Lanning and Nix.

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2022 at 3:30 PM, Mike West said:

If AB would've been able to hit those open seam routes last year, we smoke them.  So I'm not impressed with this ranking (Nix DOES hit seam routes well, so his sloppiness is the only concern).

BYU is pretty good, but they're not top ten material.  Point blank.  If we generate the kind of points Duck fans are used to, they go down in Eugene.

By the way, early estimations have OBD favored in all but two games (Utah and UGA).  About what they should be in my opinion.

The big question is how quickly DL gets this team to perform at a high level.  The talent is definitely there to control all but UGA.  But... As we all know, is tough to run the table in the PAC12.  

Averaging 42/17 will do it though.  

Let's see what happens.

OK but BYU returns 88% of its O including its starting QB. BYU's all time leading rusher, Algiers, went late in the draft because most of yards were the result of very good OL and TE blocking. Most of the starting OL is back.

BYU plays at Oregon, Arkansas at home and Notre Dame in Las Vegas (plenty of Cougars fans will be on hand), so if it does drop a game or 2 it could finish in the top 10.

And we know that BYU will be putting grown men on the football field.

This is BYU's last season as an independent before joining the B12.

• Go Ducks! 1

At least it shows how subject these polls are. Same informational imput but all kinds of different outcomes.