Charles Fischer

Would Cristobal Learn from Andy Reid of Kansas City?

The Head Coach of Kansas City is also a former offensive lineman who played for Brigham Young along with Jim McMahon in 1978-1980. Yet he is highly innovative with his plays coming up with new constraint or variations at key moments that surprise the defense and win.  I'm sure he thinks his team is "tough" but he would also rather win, than demonstrate that toughness.

I was impressed with how last week--he needed to run out the clock with a reserve quarterback and did so with innovation to preserve the victory.  Now yes I know how important the QB is, but it is also game-planning and plays.  Coach Mosier just told me on the phone a few days ago that when he went back to the Kelly-Helfrich games recently, he was stunned at how innovative Mark was compared to what he sees now.

I wish he would look to Coach Andy Reid as an example to follow....

Andy Reid_Twitter.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

The OL background the two share makes this idea even more intriguing as Reid's offensive philosophy is a 180 from Cristobal's. It's okay Mario, you don't forfeit your OL heritage by opening up your offense. Let it go, Mario!. 

What we see...

1373203919_oregonducksline.jpg.2998206eabdc358b0484359681ec5122.jpg

What Mario sees...

johndeere.jpg.ee49f36ab3340dcbf44be97563a3b1c1.jpg

Kansas City was fun to watch.  Their offense was so varied, and so many variations off the same plays.  I loved their shovel passes, even the underhand pass.  You can still have power as well as finesse and trickery.

We all know Cristobal is watching... but is he learning?

I think the Spring game is going to be telling as to any changes to the offense. Moorhead will have more time to install his offense deliberately on the field. Realistically Moorhead only had one month of on field practice time before the season to install his offense. Yes, they had loads of zoom time but teaching and learning through zoom is no substitute for doing it in person (I've been doing it with high school and it SUCKS!).

My big question is what will the offense look like with enough time to properly install the offense Moorhead wants to install. How much of last year's offense was based on the Arroyo offense because that was simply stuff all the players knew and with limited time they used what they knew while trying to install over the course of chaotic practices.

3 hours ago, David Marsh said:

I think the Spring game is going to be telling as to any changes to the offense. Moorhead will have more time to install his offense deliberately on the field. Realistically Moorhead only had one month of on field practice time before the season to install his offense. Yes, they had loads of zoom time but teaching and learning through zoom is no substitute for doing it in person (I've been doing it with high school and it SUCKS!).

My big question is what will the offense look like with enough time to properly install the offense Moorhead wants to install. How much of last year's offense was based on the Arroyo offense because that was simply stuff all the players knew and with limited time they used what they knew while trying to install over the course of chaotic practices.

I feel like once Moorhead actually has the time to fully implement his offense, true dual thread QBs become more important.  Tyler, Butterfield, and Millen are more pro-style guys who have the ability to run now and then but they're not dual thread guys, this leaves Robby Ashford and Ty Thompson.  I'm going out on a limb and saying that Ashford is the dark horse to win the starting job next season as he's had this truncated one to sit and learn the schemes with the practice team away from the pressure of in game performance.  

I'm riding with you on the Ashford dark horse...have been for a while.  In my estimation he was the best qb in the Poly Bowl.

Here is a quick peek at the young man...

He just needs to learn to tuck the ball on his scrambles.

Edited by Mudslide

4 hours ago, Mudslide said:

What we see...

Priceless.  Every Oregon fan should see that!  Funny, funny, funny....

Mr. FishDuck

I don't have any stats but to me I don't think our QB ran the ball very much last year. 

giphy.gif

One of my favorite QBs. He was stout...

10 minutes ago, criticalduck said:

One of my favorite QBs. He was stout...

Cristobal would love that toughness, but would never run the offense.  (as we have seen)

GREAT memory--thanks.

Mr. FishDuck

You are right. Coach Cristobal should take a summer field trip to KC. Get him a ticket and some KC ribs with KC special sauce. Maybe he can bring home some of Andy's "special sauce".  Coach Moorhead no doubt will be studying those Chief's plays.

Personally I love the misdirections, and pressure on the boundaries. KC terrorizes most defenses. That said, TB may very well contain KC more than most. If not, the SB will be a shootout. It must be tough in LV to set the O/U line without ending up with white knuckles.

13 minutes ago, Notalot said:

It must be tough in LV to set the O/U line without ending up with white knuckles.

Right now, the O/U is 56.5

The average for the 10 previous Super Bowls is 49.9

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, David Marsh said:

I think the better question is will he finally let his offensive coordinator do his job without constant meddling with the play calls, especially on short chain situations?

GO DUCKS!!!