Log Haulin

Lifting Limit on Official Visits?

3VRMFEHLKJAZBGKZPYHTNYVKD4.JPG
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The proposal was tabled in April “based on the pending work of the (Division I) Transformation Committee.”

Can't hurt a program like Oregon, to get more of the 5 stars from SEC country up.  Cost and family life...Lanning mentioned there could be less of a break.  What about making it 8 or 10 instead of 5?

The teeth of the NCAA 'transformation committee.' I expect to see more tough action by these toothless old men.

The only person of consequence on the committee, any guesses................................The Co-Chair, Mr Shankey SEC Commissioner.

The only Pac-12 representative Patrick Chun of WSU, no not that Patrick Chun, just an administrator for WSU.

This is another the rich get richer thing. The schools with the biggest recruiting budgets can bring in more visitors. 

Now... For Oregon this would probably be a benefit even though the coaches probably wouldn't see it that way with less time off.

But a program like Oregon state would probably not see much of a benefit from unlimited official visits because they probably can't financially sustain a great deal of more official visits. 

The biggest losers in all of this... Low tier division one schools and FCS schools. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, it would be way more expensive to have unlimited amount of visits.  I think they should take a measured approach and maybe increase it from 5 to 7 or 10.  Also, NCAA has very few time frame restrictions.  They need to restrict the time frame of official visits.  It can't be nearly all year long as it is today.  There are some dead periods, but not nearly enough.  I don't think it would hurt the Ducks too much, but it would definitely help the rich programs.

If there are unlimited visits, I still have eligibility. I would pay to have a visit like these kids get. Maybe there could be an alumni visitation weekend where alumni pony up for the cost and get to act like 5 star recruits? Anyone else want to sign up?

• Cool 1
  • Mic drop 1

I agree with the putting in of more dead periods to give coaches a chance of some semblance of a home life and like the limited visits as a way for some parity between the haves and have nots.

On 6/1/2022 at 7:40 PM, David Marsh said:

This is another the rich get richer thing. The schools with the biggest recruiting budgets can bring in more visitors. 

Now... For Oregon this would probably be a benefit even though the coaches probably wouldn't see it that way with less time off.

But a program like Oregon state would probably not see much of a benefit from unlimited official visits because they probably can't financially sustain a great deal of more official visits. 

The biggest losers in all of this... Low tier division one schools and FCS schools. 

It is a business though so I believe if Oregon wants to compete with the SEC and just win a championship they will need to do whatever that takes. Money talks and you know what walks!

5 visits is plenty.

Any more would just confuse the already impressionable young athelete. 

Kids can take as many unofficial visits as they want now, but on their own dime. That shows true interest.

If schools had to pay for more visits, kids would use them just for a party trip.

Most blue-chip players have a very good idea of the few schools they really want.

5 is a big number.

It's plenty. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1