FishDuck Article

CJ Carr to Notre Dame Overshadowed by ‘Redshirting?’

Redshirting as a high schooler?  Yep, it happens...

Final2021-04-17FB_PracticeEE3374-300x300
FISHDUCK.COM

At first glance, five-star quarterback CJ Carr, who recently made headlines after announcing his commitment to Notre Dame, is...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Didn't even know this was a thing. The physical maturity between a 19 yo and a 15-16 yo is huge. The 2 yr mission for LDS is one thing but this is ridiculous.  

• Thumbs Up 1

It’s pretty obvious to me that some states don’t give a crap about player safety. The difference between the body maturity between a sophomore and a senior is ginormous. For baseball and track I see no problem but for football it should not be allowed. Period.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would imagine the athlete who did this would have a very low ceiling for improvement in college.  A 17 year old Sophomore has a physical and mental advantage over 15 year old class mates.

I can't see a lot of college coaches wasting a scholarship on this type of recruit.  I would want to see him compete in camps against other same age elite athletes.

I doubt he would do well in that competition!

My son in 8th grade (age 14) is playing basketball and has mentioned many times pointing to kids who are 16.  Division one athletes don't need age advantages.  It isn't 100% true, but 99.9% of the time, you are either a divsion one athlete or you are not.  Peaking in high school is silly. 

My daughter in 6th grade (age 12) plays soccer and all her friends want to play up against older kids.  Totally different mentality between boys and girls.

I have quite a few friends who played in college, division 2 or 3 and they talked about the caliber of kids playing there.  I don't think parents understand just how talented you need to be to play college sports.  Most parents have rose colored glasses for their kids and think they are all americans.  Watching both my kids play and I have not been wowed by any child yet.  I don't think I have seen any child who will go onto be a division one athlete.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great post, Jordan. I read about Carr's signing a few days ago, but had no idea about any of this grade retention business. In this case, since he comes from a family that's so deeply steeped in college football history, I've gotta believe they made these decisions in a careful, calculated manner. I imagine it will work out just fine for this kid, i.e., he'll go as far as his talent will take him. It sure makes you wonder, though, about the impact it will have on other kids who have less well-informed families and have parents who are delusional about their kid's "special" talents in a given sport.

There are some times when I'm thankful that my two kids kinda sucked at sports. It allowed them to just get on with their lives. Just playing sports for fun is a lot less stressful than trying to make it your profession when so many elements of that process are entirely out of your control. Just my opinion.

This is insane, IMHO, and makes college recruiting tougher, as you would have college-age players as a senior competing against high schoolers, and thus a player may have already peaked...while in high school?

But because of the quarterback recruiting dominoes...this could clear the way for Oregon to have a better shot at an elite 2023 QB.

And outstanding research for this article Jordan, as I did not know the rules at the state level, and am glad to see the state of Oregon have minimal protection at least for the younger players.

Mr. FishDuck

Glad to see at least a handful of states trying to address this issue; however, this one for me has to land squarely on the doorstep of the parents. 

I know it’s a different issue and circumstances, but something about this made me think of the Todd  Marinovich story and how a parent’s influence (or lack of influence) can channel a kid down a rabbit hole that can exclude or greatly limit all the other very important things that need developing at that age.

The excuse will always be the child prodigy - ‘the special talent’. But for every Carr or Marinovich, how many will there be that are left at the bottom of that rabbit hole without a ladder?

I still shake my head at the phrase..."a 17 year old sophomore in high school!"  What a perversion of the process!

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Wow, first time I'm the contrarian here!

I'm not sure I see the real problem with this. From my own experience, had I done this, I would have had a much more successful athletic career. Wouldn't have been D1, but wouldn't have lost my starting spot. Lol.

I don't believe that muscle mass would be hugely different, but I guess it could be. Remember, hischool teams already have different ages playing together so I guess it depends how many years they are held back.

Some kids are late bloomers. An extra year of development can be very helpful. 

As far as meddling parents go, it already is a problem and now with NIL it will become a serious issue IMO.

Now it's not just about a good school, it's about making bank also.

What about kids who are held back for academic reasons?

My best friend in hischool missed the 3rd grade because his parents took him out of country. As a result he turned 19 in August and wasn't allowed to play team sports.

About "peaking" in hischool. Is that even possible? Wouldn't you continue to improve your game with practice?

Seems like Tom Brady gets better every year. We thought most of last years seniors who tried for the draft could have benefited from another year.

Maybe holding a kid back 1 year isn't such a horrible thing?

FYI an accepted norm about HS athletes (HS football) is that only 2% play college football.  That is all levels of college football.  Playing at Division 1 is even more difficult.

I'm embarrassed to say I first heard this about 20 years ago at a coaches clinic up in Seattle (purple land).😖

On 6/13/2022 at 2:00 AM, FishDuck Article said:

Redshirting as a high schooler?  Yep, it happens...

Final2021-04-17FB_PracticeEE3374-300x300
FISHDUCK.COM

At first glance, five-star quarterback CJ Carr, who recently made headlines after announcing his commitment to Notre Dame, is...

It all ends up at the same door! MONEY. That's what society is and that's obvious in every aspect about life. As far as this staying back in school for advantage this should have rules like everything else does and this should be no different. Its not fair to a kid that doesn't quite have any idea about sports yet. Competition is great and if these kids are that good then they should move ahead not stay behind. Just like now a QB from HS got 7 Million from Tennessee to play.

The guy allegedly was interested in Oregon just like this other star whom allegedly we wont pay for him and at one time was Oregon's until pay for play came to the four front. At one time I remember hearing Knight wasn't ever interested in the Blazers now apparently is. So will this work for Oregon as in not going out and paying for the best QB? To me is it what it is now and that's pay for play so all's I know is I want a Championship and frankly don't care how they do it " Just do it. " 

On 6/13/2022 at 10:12 AM, Charles Fischer said:

a 17 year old sophomore in high school!

Justin Flowe is a 21 yo Freshman, 22 in Oct. but for the right reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to coach youth soccer...At one point, I had 5 girls playing on my boy's U-17 team.

3 were freshman, one was a sophomore... All were HS all Americans at that point (Don't ask me how... It definitely waas NOT my coaching).

3 went on to become lower level (George Fox and similar level schools) AAs.

The best of the group was NCAA Freshman of the Year for Boston College... A quarterback of her caliber is the kind of player ridiculous NIL deals such as Tennessee or AtM have  thrown out are made for.

Cautionary note: After her freshman season, the FOTY soccer star never played again, due to injury.

The same could happen to any of these kids.