Tandaian

Which Pac-12 Teams do Best at Developing 3-Star Talent

The Ducks are in the top half of the Pac 12.  It is interesting to see who has the best track record.  You have to click the link in the link below to know the study is only from the last 4 years of 247 recruiting rankings.

1342991600.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Which teams in the Pac-12 have the highest success rate of taking in 3-star players and developing them into NFL players?

• Thumbs Up 1

K-Whitt and Scalley the DC at Utah, hands down!

They have been to two Pac-12 title games recently and that means more to me than the percentage of 3 stars drafted. 

K-Whitt and Scalley have taken teams with more 3-stars and beaten UW, USC, and Ducks over and over. 

I am very surprised at No. 1, and how Utah is not No. 1, as I think they have coached up talent and outperformed their recruiting (by great player analysis) by a mile.  (The way Oregon used to!)  Gotta love No. 12!

873586036.jpg?w=1200

Mr. FishDuck

Wow! I think that's a pretty surprising list. I would've guessed Utah, Washington State, Cal and Oregon State would be at the top. Maybe the key is that the rating was based on the number of 3-star players that are drafted by the NFL. I'm not sure there's any other way to actually quantify "player development," but I think the 4 schools I mentioned above typically do more with "less" than the rest of the conference.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Utah has been strong at development for years under Whit.  I give him and his coaches a lot of credit for getting the most out of the kids he recruits. They may be in the top spot if you took a different/longer timeframe.  

It is a nice compliment (sort of)  that others see that as a strength.  That being said, it would be nice if they recruited more 4 and 5 star kids!  How about doing more with more.  I know Utah is not a destination kids (or adults) dream about, but I have been to a lot of worse places to live and you would think we could steal at least a few more 4 stars from some of those places - although we were only 50/50 with our kids!

Development only gets you so far and Utah will not be able to keep pace with a well coached Oregon or usc over time without better recruiting.   

On 6/13/2022 at 9:34 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I am very surprised at No. 1, and how Utah is not No. 1, as I think they have coached up talent and outperformed their recruiting (by great player analysis) by a mile.  (The way Oregon used to!)  Gotta love No. 12!

873586036.jpg?w=1200

This photo does my soul good.    

On 6/13/2022 at 10:21 AM, Goutes18 said:

I think Utah has been strong at development for years under Whit.  I give him and his coaches a lot of credit for getting the most out of the kids he recruits. They may be in the top spot if you took a different/longer timeframe.  

It is a nice compliment (sort of)  that others see that as a strength.  That being said, it would be nice if they recruited more 4 and 5 star kids!  How about doing more with more.  I know Utah is not a destination kids (or adults) dream about, but I have been to a lot of worse places to live and you would think we could steal at least a few more 4 stars from some of those places - although we were only 50/50 with our kids!

Development only gets you so far and Utah will not be able to keep pace with a well coached Oregon or usc over time without better recruiting.   

Would love for Utah to get better recruits but I think they do an exceptional job considering they have to fight through the "you go play in Utah" mentality that still prevails with many folks.  It is only recently that the Jazz have been able to bring in a bit higher level of free agent than before.  (Lot of good that did by the way)

On 6/13/2022 at 9:21 AM, Goutes18 said:

It is a nice compliment (sort of)  that others see that as a strength.  That being said, it would be nice if they recruited more 4 and 5 star kids!  How about doing more with more

This is what Oregon fans said for years, as it is great to coach-up the 3-Stars, but why not attract the best to begin with?  Our coaches at that time could not recruit at the levels we are now...and yet now we are afflicted with a bit of the "USC Disease" where not all your top players are developed to their fullest.

We are hoping that Dan Lanning can achieve the dream; recruit the best and develop them, as they did at Georgia.  It will be fun to see if he can...

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

I think Lanning looks like he can do both - has proven he could get some quality kids in a short time, and seemed to do a good job in development at GA.  Oregon is in an enviable position with the facilities and reputation and now coaches that should match that level.  

I will be honest - I wouldn’t come to Utah if I didn’t live here.  Counting the days to getting out for at least part of the time each year!

• Thanks 1

It is funny to me how I truly get foaming at the mouth with fans of some schools, but not Utah.  Usually, when a team has kicked your butt badly...twice...you have a fan antipathy toward that team.  I don't because I view Utah in the South division as the underdog as Oregon had been in the past trying to compete with Don James, etc., at Washington.

And I respect your coach in a big way.

Don't get me wrong--I want Oregon to beat Utah in every sport and every time--just as you want to do the same with Oregon, but I just don't have the same venom.  I do know some Utah fans really hate Oregon...but I don't feel the same in return.  "We want to win, but are good sports."

I doubt I am representative of Oregon fans, but I sure have enjoyed the thoughts of Utah fans in this forum along with the very gracious Georgia fans.  We have an occasional USC or Cal fan that frankly--has been nice, so I welcome all nice fans who are reasonable...and who can just roll-their-eyes and go along with some of the incendiary things they see posted here about their and other teams at times.

Thanks for being here, and yep....I have a thing about helmets!

A Rose Bowl sunset gleaming on an Oregon Helmet?  Whew!

Bigger Rose Bowl Sunset.jpg

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I have a dislike for most of the PAC except for Utah and Cal. I dont mind the Beavis either except for when we play them, Then I want the Ducks to throttle them-I have pesky Beaver alum in my family. Whittingham has done a great job with the Utes though.

Utah fan is the Mike Riley of fandom. 

I think what some people might have missed is these rankings are based on the  percentage of three star players that have been drafted into the pros.