FishDuck Article

Oregon’s Recruiting Strategy’s Major Pitfall

With recruits like these, why aren’t we winning every game against PAC-12 opponents? Now, of course, this is a huge can of worms that ...

Snag_85f3da2c-300x300-cropped.png?p=1959
FISHDUCK.COM

This past Friday, you saw 2023's superstar QB Dante Moore commit to Oregon. While I'm ecstatic about the pickup for Our Beloved Ducks, I have some reservations...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Understood ideally you recruit your guys develop them and they stay. 

However, when the dealer offers another card sometimes your hand just isn’t what you want and you don’t want to bluff. 

The transfer portal is the new game, it’s weird, potentially divisive, could drive good talent away for playing time  but also provides some flexibility if one isn’t convinced one has enough of the right Jimmys and Joes. 

Transfer portal and NIL are a serious work in progress and the NCAA could screw up a wet dream so sit back and watch them destroy what was for what some greedy People think will make them more money. 

Rome was neither built nor fell in one day. There are cracks and still jackhammers on site. 🤪

• Thumbs Up 2

You just can’t ignore the portal. It is the new reality. You will be losing players every year who you thought you could bring in and develop. There is little patience from players for that these days. Many will leave to find a place they can play sooner. The only way to keep your roster full, and to compete is to use all of the tools available for talent acquisition. Then you play the best player. This is big boy football.

• Applause 1

Transfers have been around for some time now and it's never been a guarantee that they'll win the job. 

I mean in 2016, sorry to bring up that dreadful year, Prukop came in and was replaced by Herbert as a starter half way through the season. 

The transfer portal is the new reality that it must be used every year to some extent. Though I do feel like this year the use has shifted towards depth rather than find a new crop of starters. Yes, some will start but a good coaching staff will develop their younger players at the same time to build tomorrow's program. 

The real difficulty comes in getting those highly valued recruits enough play time that they see their futures and don't bolt to the transfer portal. 

As for the quarterback situation... We'll have to see how it turns out. I completely understand why this coaching staff went and got Nix... There was no established starter on the roster and Nix, even with his flaws, is a known entity where Thompson and Butterfield were complete unknowns for a staff that needed to move fast. 

I loved the days where the next superstar was waiting on the bench... But that doesn't happen much anymore and if it does, it's more often not in a program that recruits at a high level. 

Just my two cents...

Worrying about having too many 4&5* players at any given position because they might transfer.....is a GREAT problem to have. However, I do understand that we are talking about teenagers and their dreams. I would conclude that a player usually sticks around for 2-3 years before he considers transferring. This, no doubt, is because he sees the writing on the wall. He hasn't broke the rotation or become 'The Guy'. That is revealing in itself. 

So, I'm left to wonder, if you bring in a top 10 QB every year, how many starting QB's hold the reigns for only one year? What happens to the other 3 or 4 QB's in the room? They wait, and most of the time barely play their college career, unless they can break the rotation. Nothing given, everything fought for. You want to play, then go get better. Go to 'The Manning Academy' and find ways to get better. 

I'm not worried about TT. He seems to be a mature individual who gets it. He even mentioned how he needed to improve after a poor performance in the Spring game. Those are his words. Then he went and did something about it. He wants to earn the starting job this year. I personally only see one difference in Bo and Ty. They both made ill conceived throws at horrible times. Bo has history of doing this. Has he learned from that? Ty does it.... and he heads to the Manning Academy and owns the class. I think he fixed some things.

I will take Ty Thompson based on what I can only read. Bo may start but Ty will be thrown into the mix along with Butters. By the 4th game we will know if there needs to be a change at the helm. If Ty is neck and neck, then you take Ty OVER Bo. If Butters' does the same then you take Butters'. Their development in the game is much more important this year than any perceived runs we might make. Nobody thinks we are heading to the Natty this year.

Just my $.02

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Let’s be honest here. The last four year we had a coaching staff that had no idea how to get the best out of their quarterbacks and it looked like they didn’t care.

Helfrich let a Heisman winner get away that wanted to be a Duck. Sabin didn’t care about his academics.

With Dilly and DL at the helm I trust things will smooth out, at least I hope so.

I don't care how you get the best player for the position. Get him and we will figure it out later.

Agree a program needs to both recruit and develop at all positions. This staff seems to be bringing in a deeply talented group of players, while filling voids left by the previous staff with transfers.

Also how can you pass up on a Christian Gonzalez when he becomes available. If an NFL talent enters the transfer portal you pick him up, even if he is a senior. I do think the transfer portal is something to be careful about as far as character guys. You only bring in guys with high character who are team players. The culture of the team is the number one factor, not how many 5* players you can load the program with.

I also think if our early schedule was softer we may not have brought in Nix. Starting our season, on the road, against Georgia, Lanning was left with no good options other than bringing in Nix. A rookie start against the National Champs has a huge downside. Putting Nix in and having him struggle then just leads to a nice transition to Ty against EWU. I think the Nix transfer was a very shrewd move. Nix has a tough test, and then we move forward with him or with one of our guys.

I agree, going forward, the program needs to continue to be very strategic with it's transfers. Bring in high character guys who have proven themselves to be more than an amazing individual on the field. Are they going to elevate the program like DJ Johnson has or just be another bump on the bench. The transfer portal is here to stay, but going forward I look for Coach Lanning to work it like a champ.

• Applause 1

Notalot told me yesterday how Clemson has three 5-Star quarterbacks in the room right now.  Alabama had two Heisman winners in the QB room at the same time....this is where the elite programs are, and where we want to be.

Mr. FishDuck

My gripe over the last few years is you have no idea if the guys on the bench are even any good. 

Mari wouldn't play them, and his prevent O kept scores close so there was no garbage time.

Plus with closed practices...

The rest is all speculation and smoke and mirrors.

We'll see what we really have this year, and going forward 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/14/2022 at 6:07 AM, 1Funduck said:

Just my two cents...

Worrying about having too many 4&5* players at any given position because they might transfer.....is a GREAT problem to have. However, I do understand that we are talking about teenagers and their dreams. I would conclude that a player usually sticks around for 2-3 years before he considers transferring. This, no doubt, is because he sees the writing on the wall. He hasn't broke the rotation or become 'The Guy'. That is revealing in itself. 

So, I'm left to wonder, if you bring in a top 10 QB every year, how many starting QB's hold the reigns for only one year? What happens to the other 3 or 4 QB's in the room? They wait, and most of the time barely play their college career, unless they can break the rotation. Nothing given, everything fought for. You want to play, then go get better. Go to 'The Manning Academy' and find ways to get better. 

I'm not worried about TT. He seems to be a mature individual who gets it. He even mentioned how he needed to improve after a poor performance in the Spring game. Those are his words. Then he went and did something about it. He wants to earn the starting job this year. I personally only see one difference in Bo and Ty. They both made ill conceived throws at horrible times. Bo has history of doing this. Has he learned from that? Ty does it.... and he heads to the Manning Academy and owns the class. I think he fixed some things.

I will take Ty Thompson based on what I can only read. Bo may start but Ty will be thrown into the mix along with Butters. By the 4th game we will know if there needs to be a change at the helm. If Ty is neck and neck, then you take Ty OVER Bo. If Butters' does the same then you take Butters'. Their development in the game is much more important this year than any perceived runs we might make. Nobody thinks we are heading to the Natty this year.

Just my $.02

I totally agree! what a great problem to have in all the awesome recruits we have. Love the take you have on TT as well. I think your timeline with game four being the "need for a change" is a good ballpark, but I hope it's as early as game 3 that we have the spot solidified. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/14/2022 at 8:54 AM, shawnski said:

My gripe over the last few years is you have no idea if the guys on the bench are even any good. 

Mari wouldn't play them, and his prevent O kept scores close so there was no garbage time.

I love this point. This is one of my major gripes as well. WHY AREN'T WE PLAYING THEM? Speculation is tough to go off of and the lack of garbage time was tough. Closed practices haven't helped either.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/14/2022 at 8:54 AM, shawnski said:

Actually Dont'e Thorton was averaging a touchdown every other catch and massive yards per catch. He still played little, but this year we can see if he is the real deal, or just had a couple great catches.

Some guys are just players too. Maehl was brought in to play DB, but he proved to be too good as a WR. Hopefully we will see more guys see the field and better understand the guys who just have it. Once that is known, keep them on the field!

Bassa seemed like one of those guys last year too. I think it will be hard to keep him off the field.

• Applause 1