Pennsylvania Duck

Raymond Pulido, Duck OL Target, Commits to Alabama

It came down to Alabama and Oregon...Tells reasons why.

11246794.jpg
247SPORTS.COM

Apple Valley (Calif.) offensive lineman Raymond Pulido just announced he'll play his college ball at Alabama. 

My caveats to losing these last recruits are:

1. Bama is a top recruiting program and we were in it until the end.

2. Oregon has a lot of interior linemen already.   We need tackles---yes this kid played tackle in HS, but he's moving inside at the D1 level according to this article.

Then again, I may just be talking myself down.  

• Haha 1

On 8/13/2022 at 2:33 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

1. Bama is a top recruiting program and we were in it until the end.

I think either towards the end of this recruiting cyle or the start of the next Oregon is going to have to reevaluate their NIL budget for players... Well not directly Oregon but the big time doners. 

A lot of these losses have an NIL part in them, not all, but Oregon isn't spending on recruits as much as other programs. 

However, I think Oregon is also very happy to play the transfer portal and might be able to pick up some linemen on the "cheap" because they aren't locked into NIL contracts that require them to stay at their university if they want the payout. 

So we will just have to wait and see. 

Pulido doesn't talk about this, but I still wonder if when seated at the kitchen table, if realignment doesn't become a bigger issue to these big recruits. If he was my kid, do I want to deal with this uncertainty in the near future?

I do agree with David Marsh in the previous post. NIL is a big factor too.

If I am a girlfriend or parent of a top recruit, I tell them to take the money and sign on with one of the two professional conferences: the BIG or the SEC. 

For top recruits it's all about money and exposure.   College football is now a professional sport.  Paid players are not amateurs.  So as a parent I treat it as such.  Oregon either pays up or says adios to any future as a contender. 

By contender I mean National Championship level.  They will always be a Pac -10 threat.  But is that a big deal to a top recruit?

Edited by Pac10again

Interesting thoughts. I just don't know whether there is much evidence either NIL or conference affiliation was a huge factor?

It makes some sense as an argument but seems to assume some things we don't really have in evidence.

Oregon gets Conerly and USC fans say Oregon dropped a big bag of cash, USC gets Banuelos and Oregon fans say USC swoops in late with a big bag of cash. Pulido may be a case of doom and gloom, or maybe not.

It seems like there are enough reasons for a recruit to take an Alabama offer where it just can't mostly he really liked the Alabama offer? With the portal being a thing that looks like is here to say, recruits can always jump back to a second choice if things don't work out as hoped at a "blue blood".

All that said, if I was a "three star" OL prospect, ranked somewhere from around 400 to 600 nationally, I would probably take a long look at Klemm's record (his last time as a college coach) taking OL recruits at this rating level and turning them into guys who have significant NFL careers (i.e., that 75% of the top dozen OL at UCLA in Klemm's final two years there - are still playing in the NFL fire years later - with - if I'm remembering correctly - only one of them rated at least a low 4 star).

I don't have my trust Phil Steele yet, but I would suggest generally it's (more) difficult at places like Alabama, Georgia, tOSU for lower ranked OL kids to work their way through the pile of "elite recruits" to get the chance to develop (but sure it can happen).

For kids at the 400-600 level of recruit, one has to wonder if in many cases differences in NIL dollars are more likely in the thousands than in the hundreds of thousands. If so, is there a hidden cost of spending a few years washing out at a "blue blood" which might mean missing out on a 4 to 5 year path that might mean a big NFL run down the road?

Of course, just speculation. As much as I am uneasy about the way these dollars are being thrown right now in college football, with data clearly showing the road to the NFL isn't easy, if it is a BIG chunk of change is available right now, hard to question a kid ultimately picking one favorite school over another favorite school adding in the $ bottom line.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/13/2022 at 5:05 PM, AnotherOD said:

It makes some sense as an argument but seems to assume some things we don't really have in evidence.

Oregon gets Conerly and USC fans say Oregon dropped a big bag of cash, USC gets Banuelos and Oregon fans say USC swoops in late with a big bag of cash. Pulido may be a case of doom and gloom, or maybe not.

Yup.  Good example is Dye, who has family and a deep connection to SoCal. When he left many commenters assumed it was about money, yet there hasn’t been a whisper of a big NIL deal. I think he wanted to be close to home. Simple as that. When people accept jobs salary is a major factor but not the only one. Fit and culture are huge. Losing to Alabama is not the end of the world. Five years ago how often were neck and neck with Alabama (rarely if not never)?

The kid picked Alabama because they've produced the most NFL draft picks over the last decade. Smart decision for himself.

Edited by Flaps2