Charles Fischer

Will Lanning Pop Some Trick Plays on the Bulldogs?

I got to pondering this after thinking about the other thread concerning secrecy. Is he a "trick-play" kind of guy?  We didn't see hardly any from the last coach, (no surprise) but Taggart, Helf, Chip and even Bellotti were quite willing to mix it up.

Part of this is also the question of what is his brand?  Will it look foolish or aggressive in his first game as HC?  Stick your neck out...will be see any trick plays on offense?  On Special Teams?

Do you want to see any?

Pondering minds want to know...

Dan Lanning_Duck Digest.jpg

I do want to see some on both offense and special teams; a reverse on a punt or kickoff, and a double-pass?

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Dilly may throw a few if he sees opportunities. I doubt Lanning would say no to taking advantage of what the defense puts out there.

Lanning already may know some tendencies to take advantage of.

That is one of the compelling stories to this game. What does Lanning know and what is he going to do with it!

I look forward to not just the forward pass, but the forward thinking plays which take advantage of what is seen on the field. No more timeouts, just see and act to what is seen on the field.

I look forward to Georgia not only backpedaling, but tripping over their feet with what Dilly has planned! I have no idea what it could be, but I hope Dilly fatally and fully tally's some silly points at the dogs expense.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess what would be considered a trick play?  A flea flicker, a double reverse, a WR pass, a fake FG/punt?

I personally don't think a flea flicker or double reverse are trick plays, even though they are not frequently run plays.  A trick play is one of those things that look great when resulting in a positive play, but look terrible when they don't get the result needed.

For a 1st game, I wouldn't run a trick play, unless he knows of a tendancy that he can take advantage of.  If it doesn't work, it will be a stigma that could haunt him for a while.

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

Is a time out on the first play a trick?

• Haha 3
  • Applause 1

On 8/17/2022 at 3:08 PM, Steven A said:

Is a time out on the first play a trick?

Dont give away MCs secrets-lol

image.thumb.png.9b99e1bc32c3a187f19ae5e07fdd4312.png

Trick play? Or making the opposition be sound defensively?

Was the Dennis Dixon, Statue of Liberty and the subsequent fake version in the Big House trick plays?

Or just a well orchestrated series of plays to force the defense to be perfect with their eyes and reads? 

Chip was great at exploiting tendencies, using great two point schemes and forcing defenses into making mistakes. I’d like to think that we will see some similar levels of creativity and aggressive play calling from KD and the gang.