Pennsylvania Duck

Not Over? UC Regents Begin Probe of UCLA’s Move to Big Ten

There are two articles from the FishDuck Feed regarding the move of UCLA to the BIG 10 today. The UC Regents met yesterday and as seen in the articles, many questions were raised and to ponder. 

The Jon Wilner article is very good and offers many thoughts for pondering. You will need to click on the URL below to get to the Wilner article as I couldn't get the hyperlink to work. The LA Times article is good too, stating that "all options are on the table," and has info not in Wilner's piece.

The Regents will meet again in September to discuss further. Do you think this is all for naught or will it lead to other options for UCLA? 

Jon Wilner arrticlehttps://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/not-over-uc-regents-begin-probe-of-uclas-move-to-big-ten/

LA Times article

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig
WWW.LATIMES.COM

University of California system leaders proposed new rules that may limit campuses from making major athletics contract...

• Thumbs Up 2

1) ruh roh for UCLA.  

2) The irony of a San Diego location for the next meeting (a potential travel partner market for UCLA should they be forced to stay).  

3) Go Bears.  Sounds like my fellow alumnus has his teeth into an unexpected Lee Corso.  

Edited by CalBear95
  • Thumbs Up 1

What is sort of funny is that the B1G will want UCLA so bad, they will have to invite Cal.  That then will invite Stanford and then will likely require them to invite 2 more teams, to make it an even 20 league team.  To help with travel, they will want 2 west coast teams.  

There has been quite a bit of talk about the authority UCLA has to leave Cal behind, so you know the TV contracts must have language in there specifically talking about USC/UCLA.  

OK...the drama is now going to get interesting!

Charlie Robinson, the general counsel for the UC Office of the President, seemed to indicate the regents could withdraw the authority delegated to a chancellor.

“For this particular matter, the regents could say ‘We want to act and therefore we do not want the (UC) president or the (campus) chancellors to act in this area,’ and simply assert that,” Robinson said.

giphy.gif

What if....they have to invite Cal, and thus Stanford and take one more....the Ducks? And leave out the Huskies?

Mr. FishDuck

“It’s important to understand that when the regents delegated authority to the UCLA president, they didn’t give it away or lose it,” UC system attorney Charlie Robinson said during a regents’ meeting at UCLA’s Luskin Center. “Essentially, what they did was extend it such that authority was with the regents and the president.”

After the end of a closed session spanning more than an hour, regent John Perez told The Times that the regents retained the power to block UCLA’s move.

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

I hope UCLA is forced to stay and USC will be hung out to dry. 

There are enough options for the pack to increase their footprint in Nevada, Souther California, Utah and Texas to name a few. 

I won’t miss Spoiled children one little bit.

Except to pound on them of coarse.

• Thumbs Up 3

I find it unlikely that the B1G will invite Cal and Stanford right now to hold onto UCLA. I can see them just taking USC and moving on from West coast expansion if they don't get to dictate the terms. 

More likely UCLA is forced to stay in the PAC. 

This is great, UCLA was only a tag along with USC to start with and now all this! 

I have a hard time believing that the regents would force UCLA to give up $75 million/year in exchange for about half of that to remain in the Pac.  This is all about the $, they'll probably make big fuss for show then figure out a way to pacify Cal and start collecting the checks.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/18/2022 at 9:29 AM, noDucknewby said:

I have a hard time believing that the regents would force UCLA to give up $75 million/year in exchange for about half of that to remain in the Pac.  This is all about the $, they'll probably make big fuss for show then figure out a way to pacify Cal and start collecting the checks.

But if UCLA stays in the PAC then the PAC will get a better media deal so there is probably something in GKs plan (if it comes to that) that could improve the PACs position in those negotiations. 

The number that the PAC needs from media revenue to hold onto UCLA may change to something that is obtainable. 

I do agree though and feel like the punishment for UCLA leaving will probably not amount to enough to make them stay but who knows what could happen. 

Yup. Same old, same old. Uni prezes, chancellors, regents, boards of trustees , the whole pile of them: pay attention to what I say, not what I do. As always, follow the $$$.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/18/2022 at 9:33 AM, David Marsh said:

The number that the PAC needs from media revenue to hold onto UCLA may change to something that is obtainable. 

Yes that's true, in that scenario adding SDSU could really sweeten the package.  I still don't see it as enough though, I think it's a done deal.  Hope I'm wrong but usually I'm not (tongue planted firmly in cheek).

Here is another more recent article from the FishDuck Feed since the Big 10 Media Deal went through. This author presents the case in a well thought out way and the likelihood of different scenarios occurring.

https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.substack.com%2Fmedia%2
WRITEFORCALIFORNIA.COM

Will they is another question altogether. There is still a long saga ahead.

The Regents, UC System President (and Newsom) are likely pretty upset with UCLA for "back-dooring" them and following U$C to the B1G.  This is the Regents publicly re-asserting their authority and forcing UCLA to come to the table to negotiate.  

IAAL, and since the B1G media contract is signed, likely with a clause including U$C and UCLA in 2024, there are significant breach of contract issues, reliance, liquidated damages, and expectation damages that the B1G and Fox, CBS, NBC, among others, will assert if UCLA stays in the Pac-12.  Big potential $$$ based on the reported $8 BILLION contract.  See LA Times article, linked below. 

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig
WWW.LATIMES.COM

The Big Ten's new TV agreement with Fox, CBS and NBC is worth nearly $8 billion. It will liberate USC and UCLA from after-dark kickoffs.

TL, DR - lots more to come.  This ain't over yet.  

Edited by HawaiiDuck

You've got to hand it to Warren, the B1G is in fat city for the next TV cycle.  

For the LA schools, no more night games, hadn't thought about that aspect.  Just another reason I doubt UCLA gets pulled back in.

What I find interesting is that the B1G contract has built-in flexibility for expansion.  Obviously this is geared towards ND (probably not happening), but I can't help but think that Cal/Stanford is looking pretty attractive all of a sudden (or maybe all along for that matter).  This would solve the regents hurt feelings and give the B1G the Bay Area as well.

Not to be a Debbie Downer here, but I just don't see anything here that bodes well for the Ducks or the Pac.

Edited by noDucknewby

This situation regarding UCLA's move could get even messier if the state government gets involved. A Fishduck Feed article from a few days ago featured State Senator Nancy Skinner. She authored the 2019 law that made California the first state to give college athletes the right to earn money from their name, image and likeness.

Her concerns about the move are expressed in the article and could open a bigger can of worms relating to the UCLA move.

080120-Nancy-Skinner.jpg?w=144
WWW.MERCURYNEWS.COM

Sen. Skinner: Joining Big Ten to make more money represents a new low in colleges prioritizing business over students.

• Thumbs Up 1

UCLA is likely gone but if so but the wreck they have made of this will linger and not only with the Board of Regents and Gov. Newsom. Many UCLA fans are unhappy--and faculty is surprised to see an athletic department so divorced from the system that it believes it can make a unilateral exit without regents' approval. Newsom's spokesman fired a shot across the bow a couple of weeks ago by noting that the governor had just supported a big new spending initiative for UCLA. 

With Cal fans and Bay Area politicians up in arms, I expect UCLA will have to pay an exit fee, at minimum.