NJDuck

Does This Reported Clause in Big Ten’s New Media Deal Indicate Expansion Isn’t Over?

Interesting tidbit in this article states:

"There could be more financial windfall, though, if the conference adds more schools.

Both Forde and Action Network’s Brett McMurphy reported there’s an escalator clause in the contract that could make the deal increase to nearly $10 billion if the Big Ten expands further.

Both outlets reported that sources within the Big Ten indicated the league isn’t done expanding.

Who would be the top candidates for expansion? That’s a topic Action Network reported on last month, with the most likely candidates including independent Notre Dame, the Pac-12’s Oregon, Washington, Stanford and California, and the ACC’s Miami and Florida State."

Wind fall could grow upward towards 3 billion more with further expansion?

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.vox-cdn.com%2Fthu
WWW.DESERET.COM

The Power Five conference’s distribution agreement includes an escalation clause that could net the Big Ten nearly $10 billion over the term of the seven-year deal if it expands beyond 16 teams.

Edited by NJDuck
  • Wow 1

This article is from the FishDuck Feed. The opinion expressed by the author is that the B1G is not done with expansion. This "escalator clause" can open opportunities to select teams in near future.

AA10Ocsh.img?h=315&w=600&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=
WWW.MSN.COM

While the Big Ten TV deals for 2023-24 through 2029-30 are done now, the conference’s composition may not be set in stone. The...

Interesting read.  It seems to me that if they're negotiating specific numbers for their escalation clause, then further expansion is more likely than not.  It's possible that Warren is just making sure he's covered for all the potential "what ifs", but that sure seems like a lot of effort for something that may not happen.

This guy's an alpha negotiating beast.  If further expansion does indeed occur, I can't imagine he won't use his leverage to get new schools at a discounted rate (except ND) so that the per school rate for full members is not impacted as much.

Good news/bad news, we're probably on the short list but the P12 is toast.

• Great post! 1

New tweet on FishDuck Feed:

• Wow 1

Just posted to FishDuck Feed and pertinent to this discussion.

B1G 10 Commisioner Kevin Ward sits for interview with Bryant Gumbel on HBO's Real Sports. Excerpts of topics covered included conference expansion and paying athletes.

Sorry, hyperlink not working. Use URL below.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/article264684729.html

On 8/19/2022 at 9:28 AM, noDucknewby said:

This guy's an alpha negotiating beast.

Anyone could look like an "alpha negotiating beast" when they make agreements and then don't honor their word.  Personally I think he's a soulless snake no better than Carol Roth or Willie Taggart. The only difference is that Ward and Roth are competent where Taggart isn't...

Sounds like 20 is the magic number for the BIG according to Warren. So the question is will Oregon be included in the last 4?  

On 8/19/2022 at 9:27 AM, Wrathis said:

Anyone could look like an "alpha negotiating beast" when they make agreements and then don't honor their word.  Personally I think he's a soulless snake no better than Carol Roth or Willie Taggart. The only difference is that Ward and Roth are competent where Taggart isn't...

I'm certainly not commending his ethics for not honoring the coalition's "gentlemen's agreement", just the result.  Does the end justify the means?  That's an ethical judgement.  I'm guessing we'd all be cheering him on if he were in our court.

From what we all been reading, we knew next realignment was not going to be far off.  That tweet from Greg Flugaur says it all.

Financially ND is going to get what they want.  They will stay independent as long as they are included with the same deal they have now when it comes to the playoffs.

Big 10 will want more Pac-12 teams to have a 5-6 team pod out west.  Easier scheduling with games.  Maybe Cal might get in to ease the UCLA situation with the UC regents.

As we all know, mis-steps by the Pac-12 previous commissioner, presidents, chancellors through the years put this conference in a weaken venerable situation.  Ugh.

Edited by NJDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/19/2022 at 10:55 AM, NJDuck said:

From what we all been reading, we knew next realignment was not going to be far off.  That tweet from Greg Flugaur says it all.

Financially ND is going to get what they want.  They will stay independent as long as they are included with the same deal they have now when it comes to the playoffs.

Big 10 will want more Pac-12 teams to have a 5-6 team pod out west.  Easier scheduling with games.  Maybe Cal might get in to ease the UCLA situation with the UC regents.

As we all know, mis-steps by the Pac-12 previous commissioner, presidents, chancellors through the years put this conference in a weaken venerable situation.  Ugh.

I've been thinking about this a bit.  Yes, I think the conference Presidents dropped the ball.  But football out West hasn't been excellent for two decades ( since Aaron Rodgers was at Cal).

When Pete Carroll dominated the nation, even OBD we're a notch below ( and we had done very good talent at the time).  So in essence, we haven't been a good football product out West for far too long. 

Combine that with a fan base - consisting of a huge portion of the country- far more interested in multiple alternative forms of entertainment - you have a perfect storm scenario that may explain why we're considered "irrelevant".

People flock to excellence.  West Coast football has not been competitive enough to compel West Coast fans to drop other forms of entertainment.  And it doesn't snow in November out West except in the Mountain West ( not to mention NASCAR doesn't run their circuit all year, or in direct competition to cfb).  Skiing and mountain climbing is popular out West.  

If Colorado sucks, fans aren't going to tune into ANY matchup unless they are football fanatics ( we remember those days, right?).  West Coast people aren't bred to be football fans.  There aren't enough WSU or OSU to pick up any slack, the Bay Area and Southern Cal have so much to do, and frankly, it's beautiful scenery and a prime vacation spot for even the residents of that state.  

50 million people in three states have plenty of attraction outside of football on Saturday.  Another 20 million in our conference footprint have the same. 

Counter that with a region that didn't even flinch when a pandemic hit our shores.  There was absolutely no doubt football was on every Southern itinerary in 2020.  And this was in May that year.  Kevin Warren ( you know, our new snake), was heavily criticized for even contemplating cancelling football that year.  

Football isn't a priority out West.  

It's a disadvantage easy to exploit.  I imagine most people out West won't even care the PAC12 disolves.  They don't care about the conference now.  I believe there simply aren't enough football fans out West to make a difference.  

Football costs nearly three hundred dollars to enjoy at Autzen.  It's practically an all day event.  Heck, I haven't been to multiple football games in one year since West Coast football was relevant.  I love watching it in TV too much (and I don't have to endure the craziness it has always been when we get around 60,000 people).  

That's the backdrop here.  Football isn't "must have" in our neck of the woods. Unless we become football zombies out West, we're apocalypse fodder for the football powers that be. 

I talk too much. But reading the astute observations on this lovely forum has stirred my brain to provide some perspective I hadn't thought of for awhile. 

On 8/19/2022 at 12:04 PM, Mike West said:

Unless we become football zombies out West, we're apocalypse fodder for the football powers that be. 

Eeyore_From YouTube.jpg

Oh, I don't think it will be that bad for Oregon...

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/19/2022 at 12:04 PM, Mike West said:

I've been thinking about this a bit.  Yes, I think the conference Presidents dropped the ball.  But football out West hasn't been excellent for two decades ( since Aaron Rodgers was at Cal).

When Pete Carroll dominated the nation, even OBD we're a notch below ( and we had done very good talent at the time).  So in essence, we haven't been a good football product out West for far too long. 

Combine that with a fan base - consisting of a huge portion of the country- far more interested in multiple alternative forms of entertainment - you have a perfect storm scenario that may explain why we're considered "irrelevant".

People flock to excellence.  West Coast football has not been competitive enough to compel West Coast fans to drop other forms of entertainment.  And it doesn't snow in November out West except in the Mountain West ( not to mention NASCAR doesn't run their circuit all year, or in direct competition to cfb).  Skiing and mountain climbing is popular out West.  

If Colorado sucks, fans aren't going to tune into ANY matchup unless they are football fanatics ( we remember those days, right?).  West Coast people aren't bred to be football fans.  There aren't enough WSU or OSU to pick up any slack, the Bay Area and Southern Cal have so much to do, and frankly, it's beautiful scenery and a prime vacation spot for even the residents of that state.  

50 million people in three states have plenty of attraction outside of football on Saturday.  Another 20 million in our conference footprint have the same. 

Counter that with a region that didn't even flinch when a pandemic hit our shores.  There was absolutely no doubt football was on every Southern itinerary in 2020.  And this was in May that year.  Kevin Warren ( you know, our new snake), was heavily criticized for even contemplating cancelling football that year.  

Football isn't a priority out West.  

It's a disadvantage easy to exploit.  I imagine most people out West won't even care the PAC12 disolves.  They don't care about the conference now.  I believe there simply aren't enough football fans out West to make a difference.  

Football costs nearly three hundred dollars to enjoy at Autzen.  It's practically an all day event.  Heck, I haven't been to multiple football games in one year since West Coast football was relevant.  I love watching it in TV too much (and I don't have to endure the craziness it has always been when we get around 60,000 people).  

That's the backdrop here.  Football isn't "must have" in our neck of the woods. Unless we become football zombies out West, we're apocalypse fodder for the football powers that be. 

I talk too much. But reading the astute observations on this lovely forum has stirred my brain to provide some perspective I hadn't thought of for awhile. 

Seattle is a football town through and through.  No other way to put it.  

I would not group us with the rest of the west coast in that regard 

I've been reading comments from folks on message boards ripping Kevin Warren. I would just like to respectfully remind everyone that he's only doing what his employer hired him for and is paying him to do. Look out for the best interests of the BIG10. Unlike the PAC12 they surveyed the CFB landscape, didn't like what was going on, didn't sit on their hands and went out and did something about it. Now they've arguably put themselves in a better spot than the SEC. Good for them.

I get there's a debate about how good this is for college football going forward but it is what it is.

As for the so called "alliance" and the "gentleman's agreement" I'm reminded of the old Richard Marx song about doing business when he sings "Don't mean nothing until you sign on the dotted line". Nobody thought that was a legit deal except maybe GK.

Let's be honest with ourselves. If Kevin Warren was the PAC commissioner and he got Ohio State and Michigan to join we'd all be flooding Fishduck praising this guy as the greatest exec ever and being thankful he was on our side. Unfortunately for multiple reasons we are on the other side of it this time around. 

• Thumbs Up 2