FishDuck Article

College Football Turns Into A Passing League

Week zero of the 2022 college football season kicked off yesterday, with Northwestern and Nebraska as the marquee morning game on Fox. I tuned into watch some good old-fashioned, smash-mouth, ground-and-pound football. Instead, I was welcomed to the new era of college football — both teams’ quarterbacks had 200 yards passing at the half. You read that right, and we ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Week zero of the 2022 college football season kicked off yesterday, with Northwestern and Nebraska as the marquee morning game on...
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I am ready to buckle up and see the Duck's new offense. Can't wait to see some passing downfield, running other than up the middle and some up tempo. GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I love some good smash mouth football.  And as long as you can completely dominate the LOS you can win by consistently running between the tackles.  However, in today’s game, when playing against a good defense you can’t be that one dimensional.  

A power run game can be an effective tool for an offense, but when playing a good D you must run plays that will stretch the defense out and loosen them up a bit.  Otherwise they will show no respect and will focus on the run.  If this happens, you can’t beat a good defense by staying between the tackles.

• Thumbs Up 2

DnC we can only hope that Coach Lanning allows Dilly to open up the offense. Reintroducing the forward pass (longer than 20 yards down field) to our OBD's offense will be exciting for us all.

SoGaDawg is spot on that when you play a good D you have to run plays that stretch the field and loosen up the D. I would add that keeping the D guessing and off balance is critical. This Dawgs D is loaded and borderline great, not just good. Their new linebackers will make a few mistakes but not many. Its a must to exploit their inexperience. If not its gonna be a long day.

DnC, i fully expect 500 yard plus games by our offense this season. Just that thought thrills and fuels my excitement for the season. We may not get that kind of yardage against The Dawgs or Utes. However, the talent on the Duck's D should keep us in both those games. GO DUCKS.......

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The only question is who is going to be throwing and who is going to do the catching. I look forward to filling in the blanks, actually all the blanks.

On 8/28/2022 at 10:14 AM, Haywarduck said:

The only question is who is going to be throwing and who is going to do the catching. I look forward to filling in the blanks, actually all the blanks.

I think Bo will get the start against GA.  If for no other reason, bc he has experience playing against SEC and particularly against GA defenses.  Also, bc I would not want to make one of the younger QBs first start come against a GA defense unless I had no other choice.  I’m not saying they couldn’t handle it, but it would be a big ask and could potentially put them into a confidence killing situation in their first collegiate start.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lots of good posts guys!

The Ducks certainly showed they were opening up the passing game in the Spring Game. I think that trend will continue, though with our defense we won't want the QBs being careless with the ball this season.

There is a definite trend across the nation with offensive minded coaches and transfer portal reboots going on in college football. 

UW hired DeBoer, brought in QB Penix Jr and some WRs and RBs.

Wazzu did a reboot.

Arizona got transfer QB Jayden De Laura, WR Jacob Cowing out of the portal and 2022 WR recruit Tetairoa McMillian a high four-star WR.

USC has loaded up on offense.

Keep in mind next year we lose up to 7 starters off the defense and the offense will have to win us games. So, it's important our QBs - WRs develop this year. 

Come 2023 the Ducks are going to have to put up points in bunches to outscore teams. 

The other factor is will we see one of the young QBs transfer if Bo is the guy all year and Donte Moore is coming next year? In recent years we have seen lots of QB transfer and last year there was a crazy number of head coaching changes.

Will Butters or Ty hit the portal and shop for a school that they will be QB1 at and get to air it out?

Maybe they jump into a school with a new coach and a reboot?

Cameron Ward will be going pro after this year - does Ty or Butters jump to Wazzu? 

Could we see Shaw at Stanford upgrade his offensive from the power run-play action to a more spread passing system? Or is he going to hold onto to the same hand he has always been playing? 

It obvious that the passing game is exploding in college football and Mario-Shaw ball isn't vouge and as fun to play in. The "no block no rock" doesn't resonate with WRs. 

You really have to keep up with the Joneses, if you want to get good QBs and WRs -- then keep them

I wouldn't be surprised if TY is QB2 that he doesn't get as much playing time as possible to develop him and keep him in the fold for next year. Can you really sit five-star and high four-star QBs and think they won't hit the portal?

I think you really have to plan to get one in every chance you get in blow out games at the least. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

DnC, good post. This years,Duck D should help generate some blow outs  Thus giving valuable playing time for the backup QB's and all players.

You want to keep your players then play them. Play them alot. If we lose 12-15 starters then next years starters need to play a good deal this year. Including QB's 

Injuries will occur that give backups valuable playing time. 2021 was the perfect example.

Great article pointing out the new trend in college football that we need to be aware of.  It makes the job of the defense that much more difficult and important!  Thanks to DZC.

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/28/2022 at 8:30 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

DnC, good post. This years,Duck D should help generate some blow outs  Thus giving valuable playing time for the backup QB's and all players.

You want to keep your players then play them. Play them alot. If we lose 12-15 starters then next years starters need to play a good deal this year. Including QB's 

Injuries will occur that give backups valuable playing time. 2021 was the perfect example.

That's a really good point, will lose at least 4 starters off the Oline next year. So, getting game time for David Luli, Bram Walden, Conerly Jr and JPJ this year should be done in blow outs. 

On 8/28/2022 at 8:12 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Lots of good posts guys!

The Ducks certainly showed they were opening up the passing game in the Spring Game. I think that trend will continue, though with our defense we won't want the QBs being careless with the ball this season.

There is a definite trend across the nation with offensive minded coaches and transfer portal reboots going on in college football. 

UW hired DeBoer, brought in QB Penix Jr and some WRs and RBs.

Wazzu did a reboot.

Arizona got transfer QB Jayden De Laura, WR Jacob Cowing out of the portal and 2022 WR recruit Tetairoa McMillian a high four-star WR.

USC has loaded up on offense.

Keep in mind next year we lose up to 7 starters off the defense and the offense will have to win us games. So, it's important our QBs - WRs develop this year. 

Come 2023 the Ducks are going to have to put up points in bunches to outscore teams. 

The other factor is will we see one of the young QBs transfer if Bo is the guy all year and Donte Moore is coming next year? In recent years we have seen lots of QB transfer and last year there was a crazy number of head coaching changes.

Will Butters or Ty hit the portal and shop for a school that they will be QB1 at and get to air it out?

Maybe they jump into a school with a new coach and a reboot?

Cameron Ward will be going pro after this year - does Ty or Butters jump to Wazzu? 

Could we see Shaw at Stanford upgrade his offensive from the power run-play action to a more spread passing system? Or is he going to hold onto to the same hand he has always been playing? 

It obvious that the passing game is exploding in college football and Mario-Shaw ball isn't vouge and as fun to play in. The "no block no rock" doesn't resonate with WRs. 

You really have to keep up with the Joneses, if you want to get good QBs and WRs -- then keep them

I wouldn't be surprised if TY is QB2 that he doesn't get as much playing time as possible to develop him and keep him in the fold for next year. Can you really sit five-star and high four-star QBs and think they won't hit the portal?

I think you really have to plan to get one in every chance you get in blow out games at the least. 

Yep, we lost one of our best wideouts Jermaine Burton to the portal and Bama.  I’m sure it’s because he felt he would have a chance to see the ball more and maximize his stats with Young at QB in Bama’s high octane passing offense.  I was disappointed, but can’t say I blame him.  Bama probably gives him a better chance to increase his nfl draft stock.  

There is a big financial difference for a player going early in the draft as opposed to going late.  And if you go late, there is no guarantee that you will even make an nfl roster, but if a team spends a high draft pick on you, it’s likely that you will get every chance to make the team.  

I was disappointed last season that our young QBs didn’t get much experience late in games.  Many of our games were decided well before the 4th quarter started, yet our young QBs didn’t play much.  And when they did play they just handed off the ball 90% of the time.  I’m all for good sportsmanship, but it’s important to get young players meaningful reps in games.  

Especially young QBs.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love the passing game, the long, down-field throw & catch, the intricate weave, slide and spin to open a passing lane followed by pin-point throws to massive tight ends.  But it's still the break-away 60 yard run of a really fast running back after he bursts thru the line for daylight that brings the biggest thrill for me.  Cycles of run and pass come and go as O.C.'s scheme and plot and talent arrives on the field to make it all work, or not.

Football is multi-dimensional.  Run, throw, kick, ball-strip, kick-block.  It's the variety that makes American Football what it is: the most exciting team sport on the planet.

• Thumbs Up 1

SoGaDawg, IMHO, the lack of real time in game playing experience showed up in the spring. The young QB's struggled with the stunts and pressure the D delivered.

This is no knock or criticism of those talented players. Bennett moved the ball with his game time experiece. There is no substitute for live experience.........

However the D they face in practice is better than almost all the ones they face during the season. That provides a solid baseline. I have no doubts, if they were forced into action, they would fare well. Just like JB and TT. Its just a matter of time for before a well intentioned, deep pocket booster offers JB or TT a chance to start for their school.

Afterall, free agency is available to all in college sports.........

On 8/28/2022 at 9:03 AM, SoGaDawg said:

Yep, we lost one of our best wideouts Jermaine Burton to the portal and Bama.  I’m sure it’s because he felt he would have a chance to see the ball more and maximize his stats with Young at QB in Bama’s high octane passing offense.  I was disappointed, but can’t say I blame him.  Bama probably gives him a better chance to increase his nfl draft stock.  

There is a big financial difference for a player going early in the draft as opposed to going late.  And if you go late, there is no guarantee that you will even make an nfl roster, but if a team spends a high draft pick on you, it’s likely that you will get every chance to make the team.  

I was disappointed last season that our young QBs didn’t get much experience late in games.  Many of our games were decided well before the 4th quarter started, yet our young QBs didn’t play much.  And when they did play they just handed off the ball 90% of the time.  I’m all for good sportsmanship, but it’s important to get young players meaningful reps in games.  

Especially young QBs.

I agree it was a no brainer for Burton to jump to Bama and play with Young -- he will get more balls for sure. 

The Dawgs have a QB pickle behind Bennett that will shake out and Kirby will have to play right.

Carson Beck the four-star is projected to be QB2 over five-star Brock Vandagriff going into this season. It's assumed the 2023 Spring will set that pecking order between them. But Smart is better off to leave it an open battle into the fall. 

If Beck is named the starter in the Spring -- Vandagriff could hit the portal. Of if Vandagriff get the job in the Spring -- Beck could hit the portal. 

Coaches are better served to drag out the QB battles until the fall to keep one QB from hitting the portal. Even then you still have the chance of the odd QB out hitting the portal right after fall camp. 

It could happen at Oregon next week, Butters if he is QB3 could hit the portal and look to get a jump on finding a new spot. Or Ty if he lands QB2 but feels he isn't going to play much could hit the portal. 

It's not a stretch to think some have not coach would take Ty this fall and name him his 2023 starter, then try to lure some transfer WRs. 

The same could happen with Vandagriff, you build around five-star QBs if you can get one.

On top of all the isn't the NCAA thinking of allowing instant transfer and play?

That will be nuts. Lose the job in fall camp, hit the portal and play week 2?

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 12:20 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

SoGaDawg, IMHO, the lack of real time in game playing experience showed up in the spring. The young QB's struggled with the stunts and pressure the D delivered.

This is no knock or criticism of those talented players. Bennett moved the ball with his game time experiece. There is no substitute for live experience.........

However the D they face in practice is better than almost all the ones they face during the season. That provides a solid baseline. I have no doubts, if they were forced into action, they would fare well. Just like JB and TT. Its just a matter of time for before a well intentioned, deep pocket booster offers JB or TT a chance to start for their school.

Afterall, free agency is available to all in college sports.........

Yes, lack of experience absolutely showed up in the Spring Game.  I still don’t understand why they got so little reps in games with the outcome decided last season.  Of coarse Bennet didn’t go through that off-season as the starter so it’s possible that they wanted to maximize his reps I guess.

I’m still not sure about the free agency of invasion of college sports.  On one hand I can see how it can help athletes find the right fit and help teams in areas in which they are weak or struggling.  On the other hand it is really hard for me to get used to it.  For better or worse it’s here to stay.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/28/2022 at 9:43 AM, SoGaDawg said:

Yes, lack of experience absolutely showed up in the Spring Game.  I still don’t understand why they got so little reps in games with the outcome decided last season.  Of coarse Bennet didn’t go through that off-season as the starter so it’s possible that they wanted to maximize his reps I guess.

I’m still not sure about the free agency of invasion of college sports.  On one hand I can see how it can help athletes find the right fit and help teams in areas in which they are weak or struggling.  On the other hand it is really hard for me to get used to it.  For better or worse it’s here to stay.  

I think it's going to make it harder for the elite schools to stash QB talent on the roster. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/28/2022 at 12:41 PM, DazeNconfused said:

I agree it was a no brainer for Burton to jump to Bama and play with Young -- he will get more balls for sure. 

The Dawgs have a QB pickle behind Bennett that will shake out and Kirby will have to play right.

Carson Beck the four-star is projected to be QB2 over five-star Brock Vandagriff going into this season. It's assumed the 2023 Spring will set that pecking order between them. But Smart is better off to leave it an open battle into the fall. 

If Beck is named the starter in the Spring -- Vandagriff could hit the portal. Of if Vandagriff get the job in the Spring -- Beck could hit the portal. 

Coaches are better served to drag out the QB battles until the fall to keep one QB from hitting the portal. Even then you still have the chance of the odd QB out hitting the portal right after fall camp. 

It could happen at Oregon next week, Butters if he is QB3 could hit the portal and look to get a jump on finding a new spot. Or Ty if he lands QB2 but feels he isn't going to play much could hit the portal. 

It's not a stretch to think some have not coach would take Ty this fall and name him his 2023 starter, then try to lure some transfer WRs. 

The same could happen with Vandagriff, you build around five-star QBs if you can get one.

I agree.  And the changes of transfer rules have absolutely effected how coaches go about managing players.

I think that OBD really need to open up the passing game. One of our strengths on offense appears to be the potential this team has at receiver and TE.

To keep those guys happy and out of the transfer portal they will need to spread the ball around in the passing game. 

First game out is a tough one, but it certainly will be a wake up call to the younger players about how well you have to play to be considered a top team. 

On 8/28/2022 at 10:34 AM, Drake said:

I think that OBD really need to open up the passing game. One of our strengths on offense appears to be the potential this team has at receiver and TE.

It's been conventional football wisdom since the forward pass was introduced - The Pass plays open up the Run game and vice versa.  Kelly was our Past Master at mixing up the run & pass to open up and/or soften the defense.  Our opponents never knew what was coming, nor where it was coming from.