Legion

Cautiously Optimistic

I know our beloved Duck just got annihilated, and the defeat is a little deflating -as many were anticipating a little better showing that what just transpired. However, I am cautiously optimistic from what I just saw on both sides of the ball. 

Offensively, I am a bit bias because anything is better than what we were forced to watch under the previous staff (the dreaded pistol plunge). It appears that this staff will indeed be more balanced as witnessed by the 21 passes versus the 23 run (I didn't account for Nix's 8 rushes because some were scrambles). I loved the pre-snap shifts, but I wish they would narrow down the running back rotation (don't foresee that because Dillingham method of operation). 

Defensively, early I saw a pass rush, unfortunately it didn't come from the defensive front. I thought they would play a bigger role, and they really struggled to set the edge. I thought Georgia did a great job offensively. Tackling is a concerning, but after today's game, no opponent will be able to match Georgia' team speed. I was expecting the corner to get torched, and they held up for the most part (at least better than I thought). The middle of the field was wide open, that must be addressed, but a lot of that has to be credit with Georgia's tight ends.

Just one man's opinion after a very small sample size. You never know, next week Oregon might lose to Eastern Washington and then I will be burning an effigy of Lanning in my front yard.  Time will only tell, but I think Lanning is going to be something special.   

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I am still sold on the Lanning and the staff, but I admit to being shaken.  But they can turn this around immediately...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/3/2022 at 5:43 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I am still sold on the Lanning and the staff, but I admit to being shaken.  But they can turn this around immediately...

It'll need to be quick.  With BYU coming to Eugene in a couple of weeks, Oregon doesn't need to see a 1-2 start before the Pac-12 season opens on the road.  I'd be a little more optimistic had I not just witnessed 7 straight TD's by Georgia without a single 4th down or punt.  Has that ever happened to Oregon before?

• Yikes! 1

We saw some of the potential of this team. There were some very good individual plays. 

The thoughest thing to string them all together. 

This was a really rough first game for a first time head coach and a team with new offensive and defensive schemes. 

We know where this team needs to go now. It needs to be able to beat a Georgia. But we have a long way to go. 

On 9/3/2022 at 6:41 PM, David Marsh said:

This was a really rough first game for a first time head coach and a team with new offensive and defensive schemes. 

Dan Lanning is going to do a lot of growing up in the next few weeks.  

Being a Head Coach is a lot more than about knowing X's & O's.  Now he's got to rally a team that has just been crushed and demoralized in front of a national audience.  O will likely slip out of the Top 25 (way out).  He's got his toughest coaching week ahead of him and I wish him all the good luck in the world.  Now, we'll see what kind of stuff he's made of.

Go Oregon!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

In the end...yes he sets the tone, but he is the CEO, and I was stunned at this performance considering the level of expertise among all the assistant coaches.  They have to get it together as well, IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

We spent the past four years learning why Nick Saban took some coaching duties away from Mario Cristobal.  Was today a window on why Saban reportedly did the same to  Tosh Lupoi?

FANBUZZ.COM

After the Alabama Crimson Tide lost the College Football Playoff national championship game, their run of coaching issues began again. That included defensive coordinator Tosh Lupoi, who...

A lot people taking shots at Bo, but he didn't cost the Ducks the game. To me, the bigger problem is the defense; they got out coached and out played, which was real surprising consider the talent and the staff (that 9-9 3rd down conversion rate for Georgia's starters is unheard of). A bit of a head-scratcher...McDuck might have unearthed a interesting tid bit about Lupoi.

I read that about Tosh and didn't understand all the hype in hiring him. That is why I wanted DL to take a more active role in calling the plays on defense like MariØ did with our offense but in a good way.

Saban is no dummy.  They were kept around for their ability to recruit.