Charles Fischer

Curious About the Character of the Team That Will Emerge?

We have all been on the receiving end of a butt-kicking in life among all the different categories, and it will be interesting to watch them over the next two weeks--what is their reaction?  Will they be hungry to show everyone they are not that bad?

Or will they be demoralized, and limp into games with a poor expectation?  Will they assert their skills, or will they allow other teams to set the tone?

I do not like this scenario any more than you, but as far as entertainment goes--this is a great drama to see how the spirit of this team responds.  They will now be the underdog for the remainder of the season...even if they won eight in a row.  That butt-kicking will always remain in the back of their mind.

It can either mess-with-their-head, or energize them into becoming the best they can be.  I find this fascinating to watch...

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, it is so true that growth can come from adversity. Just depends on your attitude. At times like this player leadership will come in handy.

This is the story of life. Getting back up when you have been knocked down or repeatedly knocked down. Never giving up.......

The true character of coaches and players will shine thru this week. I can do without the drama but it makes it more compelling

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Glad you made that point.  It's all too easy to dwell in the disappointment we all felt last Saturday.  Much better to look forward to the upcoming Journey and appreciate the development of these young men and their young coaches.

image.thumb.png.b4e1fed59df81741414d7e1189ba57c6.png

• Go Ducks! 1

On 9/7/2022 at 12:46 PM, CountryProf said:

Glad you made that point.  It's all too easy to dwell in the disappointment we all felt last Saturday.  Much better to look forward to the upcoming Journey and appreciate the development of these young men and their young coaches.

image.thumb.png.b4e1fed59df81741414d7e1189ba57c6.png

Whoa! Dan Lanning is Ted Lasso! Always positive.  

• Go Ducks! 1

Lanning probably knew what was coming, just not how bad.  Into the valley of death ...

We won't see the likes of anything like that D the rest of this year (until a rematch in a semi 😉 [Charles, we need a really drunken emoji]).

But our D now knows what the gameplan will be against them.

We trusted Mari in regard to AB that Ty & Jay weren't ready.  We now have a second opinion, and I think Daniel is not as apt to have his feet in cement.

In Lanning’s press conference he said something to the effect that most of these players would go hit the practice field right now if it was an option.  I tend to believe him or take him at face value.  The Oregon players are highly talented D-1 players and the coaches are highly touted coaches.  They didn’t make it where they are by feeling sorry for themselves or giving up when they take a beating.  

We all have our supposed reasons for what happened but for whatever reason, this team did get embarrassed Saturday.  IMO there is zero chance they take it lying down. If anything, they will be better for it.  Sure there were many negatives in this game but there were positives as well.  I will not go into them as you all have already covered them.  I truly believe the Ducks are much better than this score reflected.  How much better, we will see?  But I’m still very excited about them.  

Go Ducks!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The offense just needs to cut down on mistakes.  Bo Nix needs to dial it back and play within himself and not try ill-conceived heroic plays...when he didn't the offense actually moved the ball very well.  The rest of the offense, particularly the OL need to cut down on penalties (there were at least a couple false starts at crucial times which killed drives).

The defense just needs to improve all around, particularly finishing those tackles.  

I anticipate OBD will beat EWU it's just a matter of how much.  The difference in the score will indicate how much improvement has happened over the course of this week.  I'll only feel better if it's at least a 4-TD win...

On 9/7/2022 at 10:04 AM, Charles Fischer said:

...what is their reaction?  Will they be hungry to show everyone they are not that bad?

Or will they be demoralized, and limp into games with a poor expectation?  Will they assert their skills, or will they allow other teams to set the tone?

Actually, tho I think EWU should not be overlooked and Oregon should come loaded for Bear.

I expect Dan Lanning will not be in the mood to 'play nice'.  It could get ugly.  It should get ugly.  Lanning should push the Ducks as hard as he can to make them play fair - but like fiends.  The rest of the season depends on what happens Saturday, imho. A close win: not good.  A strong win: good.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/7/2022 at 2:17 PM, Steven A said:

[Charles, we need a really drunken emoji]).

The King of the one-liners strikes again....

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck