Mic

This Team Will Be Special in Two Years

Let's not get all giddy after this last win guys.  It was an FCS team (albeit a good one, they say) after all.  

But with all the Frosh and Sophs on the team (85% of the roster - 4th youngest in the country) and with the youngest coaching staff in the country, in about 2 years, watch out!  If Lanning, Dillingham & Lupoi continue to recruit like they have been, with the maturation of this underclass which is loaded with talent Oregon is going to be right there once again. Georgia not-with-standing.

We may get there sooner, but I think 2 years is about what we should expect. 

Timing is sometimes everything. I think our OL struggles next year because of lack of playing time together. However, the offensive skill guys are going to be solid. 

The biggest concern I have in two years is getting a still very young OL playing together at a high level. 

Edited by Drake

Lets hope so because there are at least 70 other teams that say the same thing. As I get older I take each day as it comes----just sayin, I try to enjoy or not the day we are in.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/11/2022 at 2:49 PM, Drake said:

Timing is sometimes everything. I think our OL struggles next year because of lack of playing time together. However, the offensive skill guys are going to be solid. 

The biggest concern I have in two years is getting a still very young OL playing together at a high level. 

For me, this was THE biggest difference between Oregon and Georgia.  I think Kirby Smart was only partially correct when he famously stated "we have better players and Lanning knows it."  The full story is Georgia had many more experienced, older, mature players than Oregon did.  Our O-line, where our experience and maturity lay, was the strength of our team (as you say) and they got us 141 yards rushing, more than most teams will against them this season.

The difference (as I saw it) was Georgia had a much larger % of talented, fully maturated (Junior & Senior) players.  Oregon has a greater % of their talent at the younger, less-maturated positions.  Except for the O-line.  

Yeah, it's going to be a challenge going forward but as I said in my posted topic, I can see this team becoming something very special in a couple years when the  Frosh & Sophs (85% of our team) gain experience, strength, maturation and confidence.  Including our coaching staff!  Then watch out!

Edited by Mic

On 9/11/2022 at 3:26 PM, Mic said:

For me, this was THE biggest difference between Oregon and Georgia.  I think Kirby Smart was only partially correct when he famously stated "we have better players and Lanning knows it."  The full story is Georgia had many more experienced, older, mature players than Oregon did.  Our O-line, where our experience and maturity lay, was the strength of our team (as you say) and they got us 141 yards rushing, more than most teams will against them this season.

The difference (as I saw it) was Georgia had a much larger % of talented, fully maturated (Junior & Senior) players.  Oregon has a greater % of their talent at the younger, less-maturated positions.  Except for the O-line.  

Yeah, it's going to be a challenge going forward but as I said in my posted topic, I can see this team becoming something very special in a couple years when the  Frosh & Sophs (85% of our team) gain experience, strength, maturation and confidence.  Including our coaching staff!  Then watch out!

They (O-line)also haven't given up a sack yet. Thats pretty remarkable considering they played the best defense in the country.

• Thumbs Up 2

From the FishDuck Feed, eleven true freshmen played in Oregon's beatdown of Eastern Washington

247SPORTS.COM

Eleven true freshmen play in Oregon's beatdown of Eastern Washington

A strong 2023 recruiting class is in the works

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The biggest concern right now is Oregon has no OL commits and a bunch of seniors leaving IIRC.  That needs to get fixed quickly.   

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/11/2022 at 6:53 PM, GeotechDuck said:

The biggest concern right now is Oregon has no OL commits and a bunch of seniors leaving IIRC.  That needs to get fixed quickly.   

They already have some good players in the Freshman & Sophomore class coming up.  That's why I think 2 years is when the Ducks will really begin to gel

On 9/11/2022 at 2:49 PM, Drake said:

With the transfer portal there is a very good chance that we won't see something like 2016 again, in 2016 Oregon started 5 Redshirt freshman and they took a beating at times. Though that class served as the basis for Cristobal's success, even when he seemed to squander the talent.

Oregon will be shopping the transfer portal for offensive linemen.

Now, getting them all to play together as a unit will absolutely be a struggle but that is becoming more and more of the norm due to the transfer portal.

On 9/11/2022 at 9:48 PM, David Marsh said:

Now, getting them all to play together as a unit will absolutely be a struggle but that is becoming more and more of the norm due to the transfer portal.

I really think that, with perhaps a transfer or two, these upcoming underclassmen could be really good in 2024.  By then, they will have been practicing together for 4+ years and playing together for 2-3.  There's a lot of talent in that 85% of the roster and they are going to be very experienced veterans by then.  Under Lanning, if Oregon has anyone in Steve Greatwood's class, Thompson at QB as a Junior with a year of playing time at starter...wow!

Its misleading to go by supposedly how young this team is. Covid has players classified a year behind normal

Players like Noah Sewell and Donte Manning are 3rd year sophomores -- they could hit the draft this year.

Justin Flowe is a 3rd year freshman who could be gone after this season to the NFL.

We are as good as we are going to be right now, not in two years. The only guys here two years from now will be some of the true sophomore's and this year's freshman. 

We need to nail a class this year and next year or we will have a talent drop off.