FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: Season-Defining Moment Against BYU

Would a loss to BYU be the end of the world for Our Beloved Ducks in the 2022 season? No. But how the Ducks fare against the Cougars tomorrow should boost our expectations for the year in a big way. Just two weeks ago, Oregon contended for a top-12 ranking in the nation. Now it’s time to get back up there. ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Would a loss to BYU be the end of the world for Our Beloved Ducks in the 2022 season? No. But how the Ducks fare against the Cougars...
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Nice read and take on tomorrow’s game.  

I wonder if seven isn’t being used much because he’s to small for a former SEC coach? 

I agree totally on your thoughts regarding the need for a pass rush.  I think it may be the key to the game.

I have not been able to watch a game yet so I am looking forward to tomorrow.  

Good morning to everyone in Eugene, I really wish I was there.   

Great take, writing and scenario. I would say it is too early in the season to be able to make too many predictions about players and production.

My prediction is we will again learn about this team and it's players. Maybe the D-line will have a new standout, the receiver room may see somebody else step up. All I know is it is still to early to make any hard predictions.

One thing which will be critical will be the home field advantage. Will the Ducks take advantage of this or will the Y neutralize the advantage? Will the crowd not show up just after the second half starts, and let BYU back in the game? I think the home field could be the difference. 

I just hope BYU say the greatest thing about Oregon was putting them in the rearview mirror, let's do this Ducks!

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 6:20 AM, Haywarduck said:

I just hope BYU say the greatest thing about Oregon was putting them in the rearview mirror, let's do this Ducks!

😁

Alex, thanks for the article and i agree with your takes. IMHO the 3rd game of the season is too early, as Haywarduck noted, "to make bold predictions about the players or production".

Much like a new product being developed for market the Coach Lanning version is in the early testing faze.  May need some adjustments or modifications to get to the finished product. Remember it won't be until Coach Lannings 3rd and 4th season that his recruits will dominate the Duck roster. However, each game will be another step toward the end product 

As you and debbieduck pointed out we need to see a pass rush. Baylor pressured and sacked Hall throughout the game. The Cougar offense struggled. This game is on the Ducks Defense. Hold BYU under 30 points and Ducks win. The talent is on the roster now for the Ducks D.

BYU has been on an impressive 23-4 run since the beginning of the 2020. But they have not stepped on the field against tOSU, Georgia or Oklahoma. Big time, powerhouse programs. BYU did beat Utah last year but that was before Rising. The Duck Offense will score in the upper 30's or low 40's as long as they take care of the footbsll. The Cougars D will not stop the Ducks O. Only the Ducks can stop themselves.

The Cougars would be a top 4 team in this years PAC. Oregon is, too. Take care of business and defend your home turf and we will see a Duck victory.

GO DUCKS.........

On 9/16/2022 at 8:09 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Alex, thanks for the article and i agree with your takes. IMHO the 3rd game of the season is too early, as Haywarduck noted, "to make bold predictions about the players or production".

GO DUCKS.........

But after the 3rd game things become more of an 'observation' than a 'prediction'.  

By the end of this game I think O will have a pretty good idea (sans injuries) who, what, where and how this team is going to play entering Pac-12 season.  Unless, of course, Lanning and staff are thinking this whole season is an experiment - which I doubt.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/16/2022 at 8:09 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Much like a new product being developed for market the Coach Lanning version is in the early testing faze.  May need some adjustments or modifications to get to the finished product. Remember it won't be until Coach Lannings 3rd and 4th season that his recruits will dominate the Duck roster. However, each game will be another step toward the end product 

As you and debbieduck pointed out we need to see a pass rush. Baylor pressured and sacked Hall throughout the game. The Cougar offense struggled. This game is on the Ducks Defense. Hold BYU under 30 points and Ducks win. The talent is on the roster now for the Ducks D.

I love the new product analogy, we are definitely in the early testing faze. I just need to see some major growth from the team tomorrow, particularly (as we've been harping on) defensively. Cougar offense struggled as you noted so let's force the issue with turnovers quickly.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/16/2022 at 4:30 AM, debbieduck said:

Nice read and take on tomorrow’s game.  

I wonder if seven isn’t being used much because he’s to small for a former SEC coach? 

I agree totally on your thoughts regarding the need for a pass rush.  I think it may be the key to the game.

I have not been able to watch a game yet so I am looking forward to tomorrow.  

Good morning to everyone in Eugene, I really wish I was there.   

Glad to have you checking out the Ducks this season!

Pass rush is definitely the key, and your take on his size is interesting. I really hope that isn't the case, as we've all seen little shifty backs get it done in years past (ex. De'Anthony Thomas). But if you're right, that would worry me for the future of our recruiting and our offense. Love being able to use those smaller guys who can get open in space.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/16/2022 at 8:55 AM, Mic said:

But after the 3rd game things become more of an 'observation' than a 'prediction'.  

By the end of this game I think O will have a pretty good idea (sans injuries) who, what, where and how this team is going to play entering Pac-12 season.  Unless, of course, Lanning and staff are thinking this whole season is an experiment - which I doubt.

Yeah, to beat USC and Utah I would doubt as you said this was an "experimental" season. Let's hope we can get the ship right entering PAC-12 play quickly.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/16/2022 at 4:30 AM, debbieduck said:

I think it has a little bit more to do with an embarrassment of riches so many wide receivers with talent. Competing with Kris Hudson who was one of the bright points of last year's team and made a lot of tough catches on third down. Seven is elusive after the catch and has great speed but can he make the tough catch?

On 9/16/2022 at 9:36 AM, Dave23 said:

I think it has a little bit more to do with an embarrassment of riches so many wide receivers with talent. Competing with Kris Hudson who was one of the bright points of last year's team and made a lot of tough catches on third down. Seven is elusive after the catch and has great speed but can he make the tough catch?

This is a great point to bring up. It's hard to get high-volume touches on such a loaded team. I just want to see if he can be a contributor or not, and I need to see opportunities for him to make the tough catch in moments that really matter. This BYU team should be a tough out so I hope we see some more creativity from the offensive staff with Seven (and Sean Dollars, for that matter).

On 9/16/2022 at 6:20 AM, Haywarduck said:

One thing which will be critical will be the home field advantage. Will the Ducks take advantage of this or will the Y neutralize the advantage? Will the crowd not show up just after the second half starts, and let BYU back in the game? I think the home field could be the difference. 

I really have missed being away from Autzen this year after I graduated and started working down in LA. Has Autzen been any different? Does it feel like the advantage of home field is being neutralized on a home site? 

I hope we can keep the Cougars rattled as long as possible but I haven't seen the crowd in-person now since last season.

On 9/16/2022 at 9:36 AM, Dave23 said:

I never thought of all that.  

On 9/16/2022 at 10:26 AM, cartm25 said:

I agree that there needs to be an urgency for the DLine to get pressure on the QB.

Jaren Hall is NOT a QB you want sitting back there with time. He has a great arm for chucking it down field, and can burn you with his legs.

I honestly can remember the last time a Ducks' DLine got pressure on QBs on consistent basis. Only individual players standout rather than a swarming DLine (i.e. Nick Reed, Kenny Rowe, Thibs, etc.) in my memory.

Boy would I love to see Buckner and Armstead together again! Thibs was a highlight and is dearly missed this season.

Love the rushing component you brought up! Can't have him feeling comfortable at all this weekend. Keep him and the offense on their toes as much as possible.

Edited by aheining

On 9/16/2022 at 11:46 AM, aheining said:

Boy would I love to see Buckner and Armstead together again!

Those two moved amazingly fast for such big guys. Seems like teams are going for smaller faster guys nowadays. Buckner, Armstead and Jordan were all quite a bit heavier than Thibs or even DJ, they could really set an edge in the run game and get after the passer.

On 9/16/2022 at 11:49 AM, Dave23 said:

Those two moved amazingly fast for such big guys. Seems like teams are going for smaller faster guys nowadays. Buckner, Armstead and Jordan were all quite a bit heavier than Thibs or even DJ, they could really set an edge in the run game and get after the passer.

Love to see how they're producing at the next level today! Yeah, small and fast is the new wave of that 250 or so speed rusher (ex. Thibs, Brian Burns, etc.)

On 9/16/2022 at 1:27 PM, aheining said:

Yeah, small and fast is the new wave of that 250 or so speed rusher (ex. Thibs, Brian Burns, etc.)

Always felt those little guys (250 bl.) got pushed around by the tackles or TEs on running plays but the future is in the air.

Is this game a season defining moment for Oregon football in 2022?  Yes, it is.

There was what, 15 practices in the spring (Spring game included), summer workouts, and I believe the first pre-season practice was back in the first full week of August.  Add that to the simple fact that following this week’s game, we will have completed play in 25% of the regular season schedule.  Not sure how much more time is needed to tell us where this team truly stands?

Following week one’s pasting at the hands of the Juggernaut, and week two’s hammering of the Jugger-not, BYU comes in as the perfect opponent.  They’re (BYU) solid, but not exceptional, in many facets of the game, and do they measure-up with the balance of the opponents we’ll face this season  – yes, they do (and maybe, then some).

Given that our staff is new, and there are talented players on this roster, we may be able to make gains that others will not throughout the season, but this contest should set realistic expectations for the 2022 season. 

I see lots of questions / comments re: Seven.  To some degree he’s falling victim to our (Ducks fans) desire for DAT 2.0.  DAT was a generational gadget guy that I’m not sure anyone can emulate.  If our coaching staff is a good as we hope it is, Seven’s role will evolve as the season progresses.  

I’ll add one topic to the wish list for this week’s game.  Explosion plays.  Week one was full of implosion plays (particularly on defense), and while scoring 70 points the following week, I still wasn’t in awe of a particular play.  Offense…defense…can someone give us an explosion play?  Perhaps I'm just not easily impressed.

Alex, you have one sentence in your article that I whole-heartedly agree with, and that’s your comment on Oregon’s season hinging on how effective our defense can become.  Thus far I’m not confident our offenses can patiently and consistently advance the ball down the field against mid to high-level defenses, so I fear that we’re going to have to rely on this defensive unit quite heavily.  

I really feel bYu is an "Iceman" style team in that they're methodical, calculated and just wear you down. We're more of a "Maverick" in that we're completely unpredictable and an unknown commodity. I feel like we know they will execute, but if we can execute also, we take the W. We have more talent and a MUCH higher ceiling...it's just how much of our potential can we extract from this team? They'll give us their best and it will take 80% of our best to take them...Week 3, I think this is where the tables turn and things start clicking. 

We'll find out in 24 hours...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/16/2022 at 3:59 PM, Wrathis said:

We're more of a "Maverick" in that we're completely unpredictable and an unknown commodity.

Well, if we're Maverick, I suggest we prove how good we are by getting inverted with that MIG-28 and presenting them with the middle finger.  

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

On 9/16/2022 at 12:52 PM, Jester said:

Is this game a season defining moment for Oregon football in 2022?  Yes, it is.

There was what, 15 practices in the spring (Spring game included), summer workouts, and I believe the first pre-season practice was back in the first full week of August.  Add that to the simple fact that following this week’s game, we will have completed play in 25% of the regular season schedule.  Not sure how much more time is needed to tell us where this team truly stands?

Following week one’s pasting at the hands of the Juggernaut, and week two’s hammering of the Jugger-not, BYU comes in as the perfect opponent.  They’re (BYU) solid, but not exceptional, in many facets of the game, and do they measure-up with the balance of the opponents we’ll face this season  – yes, they do (and maybe, then some).

Given that our staff is new, and there are talented players on this roster, we may be able to make gains that others will not throughout the season, but this contest should set realistic expectations for the 2022 season. 

I see lots of questions / comments re: Seven.  To some degree he’s falling victim to our (Ducks fans) desire for DAT 2.0.  DAT was a generational gadget guy that I’m not sure anyone can emulate.  If our coaching staff is a good as we hope it is, Seven’s role will evolve as the season progresses.  

I’ll add one topic to the wish list for this week’s game.  Explosion plays.  Week one was full of implosion plays (particularly on defense), and while scoring 70 points the following week, I still wasn’t in awe of a particular play.  Offense…defense…can someone give us an explosion play?  Perhaps I'm just not easily impressed.

Alex, you have one sentence in your article that I whole-heartedly agree with, and that’s your comment on Oregon’s season hinging on how effective our defense can become.  Thus far I’m not confident our offenses can patiently and consistently advance the ball down the field against mid to high-level defenses, so I fear that we’re going to have to rely on this defensive unit quite heavily.  

Great stuff all around, Jester!

some of your points on the DAT comparison I couldn't have said better myself. It also strikes me as odd that I've grown so accustomed to not expecting explosion plays from Oregon after some thrilling seasons of old. Thanks for reminding me of that (or the lack of) explosive component we desperately need.

Let's hope that when that defense is called upon and we need some big-time stops against BYU and beyond, someone steps up defensively. I don't care if it's a DB, an edge, or one of our inside backers. SOMEBODY MAKE A PLAY.

...Please?

Enjoy the game tomorrow!

• Thumbs Up 1