Charles Fischer

Canzano Thinks SOMETHING BIG is About to Happen...

Below is what he wrote in an article this morning, and he has been good with this kind of information.  Perhaps a media deal is coming soon?

From John Canzano:

My spider senses are tingling. The Pac-12 Conference has been quiet behind the scenes in the last couple of weeks and a few of my sources are acting like they’re knee-deep in serious deliberations.

I have a hunch this week could bring some news — or at least some direction — when it comes the Pac-12’s media-rights negotiations and/or expansion.

Last week’s debut of NFL Thursday Night Football on Amazon Prime got a lot of us buzzing about the possibilities. Would the Pac-12 really go all-in with a streaming service? Is the money there? If so, it would explain the “hundreds of millions apart” leak on the Pac-12 and ESPN front.

Further, the Pac-12 expansion question is looming. I’ve written about San Diego State, SMU, UNLV, Boise State and Fresno State at length. A few have speculated that the conference might be more aggressive, moving to add a soon-to-be Big 12 member or potentially targeting some Conference USA programs.

I reached out to several high-level sources inside the Pac-12 in the last week, asking about media rights and expansion. Nobody wanted to go on the record. One source told me he couldn’t be quoted “…until we get to the other side.”

It makes me think the “other side” is in sight.

Keep your ear to the ground this week. The Pac-12 members likely have numbers from the bidders on the media rights front. The conference may be weighing a three-pronged dilemma: A) Take a pile of money from a streaming service knowing that you sacrifice distribution; or B) Sign on full-boat with ESPN for less money, but bask in the glow of the worldwide leader’s propaganda machine; or C) Some blend of both.

I’ll have more on this as it develops.

Entrance by Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Oh no! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/19/2022 at 3:35 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Sign on full-boat with ESPN for less money, but bask in the glow of the worldwide leader’s propaganda machine;

This is my preference.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

IDK (I don't know).  I heard this morning on Markely & Van Camp there were severe streaming issues with Prime's Thursday Night NFL game.  Pixelating, buffering, screen lock, etc,  

Maybe the technology isn't there yet?  I don't know.  And how many fans want to subscribe to Prime?

Edited by Mic

On 9/19/2022 at 7:08 PM, Mic said:

IDK (I don't know).  I heard this morning on Markely & Van Camp there were severe streaming issues with Prime's Thursday Night NFL game.  Pixelating, buffering, screen lock, etc,  

Maybe the technology isn't there yet?  I don't know.  And how many fans want to subscribe to Prime?

I think it has more to do with the home equipment, like the streaming device or Wi-Fi router. My picture and sound were good though. 

Edited by Coach Eric Boles
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 9/19/2022 at 4:20 PM, Coach Eric Boles said:

I think it has more to do with the individual’s equipment than Prime’s. I have a newer generation Roku and had no issues. The streaming device you use is the same as any tech, it needs upgraded every once in a while. 

You're probably right.  I'm not expert on these things.  My ROKU TV is fairly new (last year's model) but I didn't watch the game.  I guess it's just one more nail in the cable coffin and since we can't receive cable it looks like streaming is going to be the way we have to go for our games as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/19/2022 at 7:24 PM, Mic said:

You're probably right.  I'm not expert on these things.  My ROKU TV is fairly new (last year's model) but I didn't watch the game.  I guess it's just one more nail in the cable coffin and since we can't receive cable it looks like streaming is going to be the way we have to go for our games as well.

Yeah, I already have to use Sling to see anything on the Pac-12 Network and even then I have to have an add-on that brings the cost up to like $50 a month. So I’d like the Network at least to be on a service that I have anyway. It’ll be interesting to see how they do it though.

And you’re right, that’s probably the future. I heard the stat of like 10 years until streaming is it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Interesting thoughts.  All the Ducks stuff I watch going streaming might be what it takes for me to cut the cable cord.  

I also think way more people already have Amazon Prime (as I do), so it's not like it would be an additional expense.

Go Ducks!!

• Go Ducks! 1

On 9/19/2022 at 4:08 PM, Mic said:

I heard two radio guys complaining about the pixelating, buffering, screen lock, etc. for Prime's game too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thursday night streaming came in perfectly fine here, and clear,  The sports radio guys here in Seattle also commented on the great picture quality.

How soon we forget the tin foiled rabbit ears, and snowy reception. Growing up Eugene had 1 tv station. Now we have 300 channels and nothing’s on. 

Cut cable 15 years ago, ESPN is a football virus.

As a consumer and fan I look forward to the time that every game of every team is available to view via streaming with  the same day purchase option.

• Applause 2