Haywarduck

This Win Was Perfect!

In the development of a great team and program you need to do certain things. One of those things is to win on the road. Another is to come back, and beat a team in the fashion we saw yesterday.

I would say there were a multitude of other things that made this game perfect too. Many of those were the failures the team had, and then the mettle to keep going and make it right. That is such an important step in the development of a program.

There is now no game Oregon is out of after that finish. Seeing Dan Lanning lean into his team as they went onto the field after the defensive stop and a chance to take the lead was priceless. I could feel the emotion, and willpower further inflate that team and there was no stopping them.

That kind of energy and growth made that a prefect game. Maybe not to some, but I don't think there could have been a better outcome for the growth of this Dan Lanning led team.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

I don't know what to think about this team or game. I do know that the Iron is in the fires and being shaped right before our eyes.

I agree that this game was necessary in so many ways and will pay huge dividends in weeks to come. Much like the UGA  game.

There is a ton of things to fix from this game. That starts with the head coach taking a look in the mirror. I have no doubt that's where Lanning will start.

Ducks were stressed to the point a lot of teams would break. Ducks didn’t break and should be much stronger.

It's games like this that solidify teams. Bring coaches and players together. The bond between them has tightened up. 

Duck's  are something different after this game. Definitely a crossroads game. It will be fun to see what emerges from such an epic test of fortitude and grit.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

There is simply no way to be ready for a Martin Stadium game, anymore than one at Autzen, if you’ve never  experienced it before. So, it comes as no surprise that Dan felt,  “. . . caught off guard” by what hit him (as a new head coach) and all the new coaches and players. 

But, how they responded to that adversity is an entirely different matter. What Noah had to say regarding Mase’s touchdown could just as easily been said of the entire team:  “I was like, oh yeah, that’s Game. That’s Game right there.”

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

When a team is forged in fire?  That Pullman game is a perfect example of it.  I agree with you Hayward, as winning is important, but that win helped the mental growth of the team so much--so crucial for down the line.

Celebration 2_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Remember when wins felt like losses? Glad those days are behind us. I think when history looks back at the Lanning era, this game will be thought of as a corner stone of what he built at UO. An absolutely impressive win against a very formidable opponent in an hostile environment. Great job Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

On 9/25/2022 at 9:40 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Remember when wins felt like loses? Glad those days are behind us. I think when history looks back at the Lanning era, this game will be thought of as a corner stone of what he built at UO. An absolutely impressive win against a very formidable opponent in an hostile environment. Great job Ducks!

Wow, great take, from when wins felt like losses, to making losses into wins. Also this is exactly who Oregon use to be from Ogburn to Musgrave, Joey, Marcus and now Bo. Truly an epic win to reestablish who Oregon is, again!

• Thumbs Up 1

Sign of a Winner?  I love that Dan Lanning has NOT seemed to change in his demeanor from the Georgia loss to the win in Pullman.  He has experienced it all.  A tough loss to his old team with great athletes and coaches.  To a come from behind win with less than four minutes to play against a solid team with victory, surely, in its grasp.

WSU deserved all the praise it had been receiving.  It was like watching the Ducks of Old.  The WSU offense playing fast and not letting the Duck defense, catch its breath.  The Coug defense with speed and grit stopping the strength of the Ducks running attack.  Sadly, the Ducks could not score major points and settled for field goals.  While the Ducks defense could not keep them from getting into the end zone with regularity.

Dan Lanning could have thrown up his hands and gave up.  Surely, exchanging TD's was not going to do it for the Ducks.  DL was going to make this a teaching moment.  Thursday drill, two minute game plan, execute!  Get the coaches to plan, play and motivate the players.  Do not stop playing.  When you do not have the ball, what do you do?  Teaching moments.

I gave up when the Ducks were down by 12 at 22 to 34.  My heart could not take the stress.  But I kept my ESPN app on my smart phone.  When I saw that the score was 37 to 34, I was like "What The Flock?"!  I jumped back on HULU and by the time it got synched the score was 44 to 34 and replaying Funa's pick six.

WSU made the score seem close and it was.  But the reality of it is, the game is NEVER over if you keep your head in it.  And you play like you have practiced.  Teaching moments.  Great teachers and focused students.  Thanks Coach.

PS-

I watched Coach Lanning's post game interview.  I actually enjoy his Post Game interviews, even the Georgia loss.  He is so consistent as an educator.  Compare that with Coach Cristobal's post game interview.  Even when Mario was here, never got the feeling he was teaching or leading staff or team.  Glad he is gone.

WWW.ON3.COM

Don't miss seeing for yourself what University of Miami coach Mario Cristobal and players were talking about after today's game.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I actually called my 90+ year old mom when there were 5 minutes left to make sure she saw what was going to happen, and she has heart issues. This was the Cougs against the Ducks of old. Her heart is all the better because of this game!

When Oregon is at their best we win this game. I don't think there is a better indicator of where this program is. Beating WSU in a come from behind fashion in Pullman means we are back!

This was a huge win, and so much more meaningful than a dominant at home with against BYU.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/25/2022 at 9:40 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Remember when wins felt like losses? Glad those days are behind us. I think when history looks back at the Lanning era, this game will be thought of as a corner stone of what he built at UO. An absolutely impressive win against a very formidable opponent in an hostile environment. Great job Ducks!

This game could become Lannings version of "The Pick"...

• Applause 1