NJDuck

Where Oregon's Defense Ranks Nationally After Tough Showing vs. Washington State

Much needed improvements on the defensive side.  But when all said and done after the WSU game, Oregon moved their overall ranking from 108 to 80 in total defense.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

We’re still waiting to see that dominant defense that we expected in Eugene. Regardless of the stats, they’re finding a way to win.

Giving up an average of 31 points a game...yikes.  Where the offense could improve a bit more, the defense has a lot more upside!

Mr. FishDuck

That Georgia game statistically is holding us down. I do anticipate seeing our ranking continue in the right direction. 

The linebackers need to work out their coverage issues though. The middle part of the pass defense feels like a liability. 

The UGA steamroller coupled with high octane passing teams BYU and WSU have inflated some numbers. This should drop as they start playing some more normal offenses as well as understand the scheme better. Now if they give  up over 30 to Cal, that would be cause for concern.

I whiffed on this one when I wrote the Ducks could be a Top 10 unit. We have Top 10 talent for sure.

Charles and I will touch on the Ducks defensive scheme under Lanning so far, this Thursday 

On 9/27/2022 at 7:44 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I whiffed on this one when I wrote the Ducks could be a Top 10 unit. We have Top 10 talent for sure.

Charles and I will touch on the Ducks defensive scheme under Lanning so far, this Thursday 

Could still make it to the top 10, or close to it, by season's end IF they keep playing like this.  

On 9/27/2022 at 7:47 AM, Mic said:

Could still make it to the top 10, or close to it, by season's end IF they keep playing like this.  

Charles and I have discussed how we expected lots of more sacks. Swinny looked amazing in the spring game and is the odd guy out, I thought he could maybe hit double digit sacks. I thought DJ could maybe hit double digit sacks. 

I thought with Lanning's blitz schemes we might set the team record for season sacks. I also thought Flowe and Sewell would set season highs for Sacks and TFL. 

We're not seeing that aggressive blitz and relentless into the backfield play I expected. 

Bennett Willimas and Jamall Hill have been solid though as I thought, especially in run support. 

Let's just call it what it is, so far a pretty big disappointment considering DL's background.  Porous pass defense, especially on opponents third and long, same as last year.  It was looking like this team was a lot more well-coached and disciplined, but mental errors and personal fouls on third and forever just about cost us the Wazoo game.

That said our run defense is solid and we did get two turnovers including a pick-six.  In addition credit them with the most critical stop, the three and out in between our last two possessions.  Without that we almost certainly lose the game.

• Thumbs Up 2