Charles Fischer

Can Lanning Keep This Team from 'Stony-Brooking' It?

I was pondering about how this entire team has a weak mental background...a history of playing down to the opponent, and losing at least one game a year under you-know-who that we should not have.

As I consider it--it is quite a task to win the games you should when this team mentally has not in the past.  This is big hurdle for this team to overcome, and Tucson is an example of how Our Beloved Ducks need to show up and take care of business.

And thanks to FishDuck writer Drex Heikes for giving us a new verb to describe this losing mental approach.

Jeffrey Bassa 2021_Craig Strobeck.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/5/2022 at 7:19 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I was pondering about how this entire team has a weak mental background...a history of playing down to the opponent, and losing at least one game a year under you-know-who that we should not have.

As I consider it--it is quite a task to win the games you should when this team mentally has not in the past.  This is big hurdle for this team to overcome, and Tucson is an example of how Our Beloved Ducks need to show up and take care of business.

I was thinking this EXACT thing. With most of the same players, would they even show up? 

Would they be interested?

Would they get a lead and pack it in?

I think the Defense is closest to leaving the demons in the past (skill is another thing)

And the offense has made strides and is improving (TT aside)

I don't think Lanning will let this team get complacent.  Heck, they have absolutely nothing to get complacent about.  If they look like they are starting to go into stall-mode he should just remind them of that 49-3 'education' they got in Atlanta.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mario’s teams would have lost to WSU. Lot of mental toughness shown. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/6/2022 at 12:06 AM, lownslowav8r said:

Mario’s teams would have lost to WSU. Lot of mental toughness shown. 

I agree, the Wazzu game was a huge step forward. Duck showed a tremendous amount of grit. They grew a ton in that game.

I watched WSU last weekend and they were a shell of the team Oregon played the previous week. I think Oregon broke them.

Another hurdle this program needs to make is to win when we get in the top 10. There is something about playing a team with everything to gain from beating you while you are feeling pretty good about yourself.

This game doesn't quite reach that level. I think we can pull this one off. 

My trap game is after we beat UCLA at home and head to Berkley. This just might be the game where we let down and start thinking we are just that good. Who knows though, these are just college kids with coeds frolicking about.

On 10/6/2022 at 5:16 AM, Haywarduck said:

. Who knows though, these are just college kids with coeds frolicking about.

Yep.  It's easy to forget that little fact.  Young men with more than just football on their minds - or maybe it's why they play football in the first place going all the way back to middle school and High school.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/6/2022 at 3:02 AM, Log Haulin said:

I watched WSU last weekend and they were a shell of the team Oregon played the previous week. I think Oregon broke them.

I hope not permanently. I like this WSU team. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2022 at 7:19 PM, Charles Fischer said:

And thanks to FishDuck writer Drex Heikes for giving us a new verb to describe this losing mental approach.

Not sure Charles what you mean by "Stoney-Brooking it" nor the verb that Drew Heikes coined for it.  (btw, these are my favorite unis - the lemon yellow w/green numbers and the chrome wings on the helmet - for what it's worth).

On 10/6/2022 at 5:16 AM, Haywarduck said:

Another hurdle this program needs to make is to win when we get in the top 10. There is something about playing a team with everything to gain from beating you while you are feeling pretty good about yourself.

Right along with all the Natty's Alabama has won is there 50 some winning streak against unranked teams. Just looking at it, it isn't that impressive. But, to the point, it's very impressive how Alabama, year after year doesn't let down, Ever

Texas, earlier this season would, could, have been an L. But they pulled it out. Last week Georgia was losing to unranked Missouri, but they won at the end. Oregon did it at WSU. That' a good trait to pick up. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/6/2022 at 7:49 AM, Mic said:

Not sure Charles what you mean by "Stoney-Brooking it" nor the verb that Drew Heikes coined for it.  

Read Drex's article below from Tuesday...

FISHDUCK.COM

From a couple of bleacher bums, here's a revelation that every Oregon head coach should consider: if you jump ship for a new head coaching position, you won'

Mr. FishDuck

It always felt like Mario’s only response to countering an adversary’s game plan was, “don’t confuse me with the facts; my mind is already made up”. He never seemed to play his opponent; only his playbook.

What Lanning’s team shows are all those attributes that do emerge when coaching is fully engaged in the chess match: creativity, opportunism and the resolve to do whatever it takes to win.

That type of game engagement is why I don’t see this team easily falling into a Stony Brooke mind set.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lanning's mind moves in more than just one direction. Perhaps, for Cristobal, the box is the whole picture and he sees little outside it.

On 10/6/2022 at 11:02 AM, Mic said:

the box is the whole picture and he sees little outside it.

I can definitely see that, and from the opposite end, Chip's, "faceless opponent" is myopic. To win consistently I think a team needs to be malleable, to see that adjusting is a strength, not a weakness.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Curious, I didn't watch WSU play last week>

"Shell of their self" ?

Didn't they beat CAL pretty easy?

On 10/6/2022 at 3:00 PM, DUCKS4OUUO said:

Curious, I didn't watch WSU play last week>

"Shell of their self" ?

Didn't they beat CAL pretty easy?

28-9, they didn't look like the same team to me regardless of score. Didn't pass the eye test

On 10/6/2022 at 2:16 PM, 30Duck said:

I can definitely see that, and from the opposite end, Chip's, "faceless opponent" is myopic. To win consistently I think a team needs to be malleable, to see that adjusting is a strength, not a weakness.

BINGO. $$$$$$!

• Thanks 1