Pennsylvania Duck

Is It Possible for Ducks to Reach CFB Playoffs?

On 10/23/2022 at 12:51 PM, Mic said:

Just in case there remains 1 lost should left among us that doesn't believe in such things as brand bias, I quote Jon Winner from the above article:

Wilner makes the point that “Also working in their favor, and never to be ignored: Brand bias.

“It exists, even in a space as objective as the selection committee’s boardroom. And you can bet your last dollar that one-loss USC, with Lincoln Riley and Caleb Williams, would have oodles of support.”

Ergo, Oregon (or whomever) should just rollover in the Pac-12 Conference Title game to let USC go to the Playoff to represent our Conference?  No. Earn it Conference winner - whomever it should be.  Then let the 'objective' Playoff Committee show their biased hand to the rest of the country.

I think Wilner shows his bias in his writing!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/23/2022 at 10:38 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

I think Wilner shows his bias in his writing!

Well, he does live in San Diego and I imagine he covers the teams he knows best, most often.  Kinda like Canzano.

On 10/23/2022 at 11:50 AM, Mic said:

Well, he does live in San Diego

Pretty sure that should be San Jose?

• Oh no! 1

Oregon and the CFB Playoffs--from an SEC writer's viewpoint

Scroll down to #3 to read article...

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

Week 8 couldn't match Week 7, but it had its moments. Playoff pretenders were exposed and an old friend played like a Heisman contender.

From my perspective (Big Ten).  Just keep winning.  As Bobby Bowden once said, these things have a way of sorting themselves out.  Teams are going to lose, IF YOU Keep winning, you will get there.  Your margin of error is much smaller BUT winning solves it all.

Back in 2014, after we lost to Virginia Tech.  Everyone wrote us off.  We just kept winning and advancing.  Teams lost and we moved up.

As I said, keep winning and you WILL Get there.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

ESPN FPI Update: Oregon's chance of making playoff jumps after statement win vs. UCLA

Dan Lanning’s squad means business, and should be considered among the best teams in the nation.

It’s pretty clear that there are few offenses better than Oregon’s at the moment and few quarterbacks who are playing better football than Bo Nix. 

With the Ducks now ranked well within the top 10 in the nation, let’s take a look at their season outlook according to the FPI:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Ducks made a statement with their win over UCLA on Saturday. Their probability to make the CFP reflects that.

CFP Projections in Week 9: Oregon Ducks soaring up

For the Pac-12, the Oregon Ducks might be the conference’s best chance to land a team in the final four.

Even then they will likely need some help with teams ahead of them in the perceived rankings.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A look at the newest projections and bowl matchups ahead of Week 9.

Oregon might be one of college football's four best teams, but can it erase 46-point loss in opener?

The moment that game ended, the playoff should have been the last thing on the minds of any Oregon fan, player, coach or administrator.

But after an impressive 45-30 win over previously unbeaten UCLA last Saturday, the notion that Oregon

could finish as a one-loss Pac-12 champion with a legitimate playoff case doesn’t seem so far-fetched. 

WWW.USATODAY.COM

No college football team in the country had a more difficult Week 1 assignment than Oregon, which ambitiously scheduled Georgia and took its medicine.

Just saying, no P5 undefeated team has missed out on the playoffs.  I find it silly how just about every prediction has 2 SEC teams and many other saying how the SEC could get in 3 this year.  There is way too much football to be played to have a good grasp of who will make it.

A whole lot would have to happen, but any P5 team with only 1 loss will get a look depending on what happens with every other team.  No shot any undefeated P5 champ is left out.  It is straight up stupid for the talking heads to be giving the SEC 3 teams. 

The CFP has already made it a precedent to have a conference championship mean something.  So, the loser of UGA vs Tenn isn't just given a playoff spot if that is their only loss.  They will have to hope every other conference champ has 2 losses.  The Pac 12, B1G TEN and Big 12 are all too strong this year to leave out a 1 loss champ.

• Like 1

Monday Out West: Oregon’s Playoff viability is Bo Nix’s Heisman candidacy

And that’s been the story of the season for me in the Pac-12 so far. The Pac-12’s return to the CFP hinges on someone’s quarterback

being a legitimate Heisman-worthy player. And so far this season, we’ve seen more than a few prove capable of being exactly that.

If you plotted weekly points on a chart, Nix’s Heisman odds would pretty closely resemble Oregon’s College Football Playoff chances.

The curve is swinging back in favor of the Ducks after a 45-30 win over then-No. 9 UCLA on Saturday.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

The Pac-12 has multiple quarterbacks putting together Heisman resumes. And as long as they continue to do so, the league will be in the CFP conversation.

On 10/22/2022 at 6:50 PM, David Marsh said:

And the PAC doesn't exactly get much respect these days. 

But the only thing Oregon has control over right now is just winning their games. If it happens that would be great but if it doesn't that's just the way things are... 

I have a feeling it is going to be 2 SEC teams plus Ohio State right now. The fourth spot is a wild card... And I wouldn't be totally shocked if another SEC team sneaks in. 

If LSU could beat Bama...then it's Oklahoma State and Clemson to worry about.  We have to blow teams out the rest of the year, and tOSU or Michigan has to blow out the other (those two are probably going undefeated till they meet). Tennessee is lurking as a possibility as well. 

Those with the best shots to me as follows:

Georgia

Tennessee

Clemson 

Michigan

tOSU

Bama 

Outside looking in:

Oklahoma State 

TCU

USC

UCLA 

OBD 

An expanded playoffs would look good with just these ten.  I'm not a fan of two or three loss teams.  But expansion is going to make teams relax during the season.

I hope teams like that get blown to Pluto when expansion happens.  Hopefully it forces teams to value winning every game.  

I'd even consider forgiving  the elitist PAC12 Presidents if they start to respect and prioritize football like they should (CEOs never ignore ten percent of their revenue stream- they'd get fired. They aren't held to account, and that ticks me off).  

Win out.  That's the focus I hope OBD are looking towards.  One blowout at a time.

Path to the Playoffs - Oregon Edition

I wasn’t sure this team really had what it takes to be in this position. But I would argue there’s very few elite teams in college football.

Which means if you’re a pretty good team, which Oregon is, you have a chance.

Of course a few things will need to go Oregon’s way. For starters we’ll need to re-examine this again when the first real rankings come out on November 1. A week from today.

WWW.ON3.COM

Can Oregon find a way into the playoffs if they win out? It's looking somewhat slim at the moment but you never know in CFB.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

ESPN's Heather Dinich has Oregon in her College Football Playoff field after Week 8. She explained why earlier this week.

ATHLONSPORTS.COM

With every team in the Pac-12 already having lost at least one game, it would be easy to predict that the "Conference of Champions" will be left out of the

Report from Captain Obvious:  even if the Ducks win all remaining games, it's all going to come down to who else is a 1-loss team.  Undefeated P5 teams will make it in, and there will probably be 1 - 3 of those.  Of the other 1-loss teams in addition to Oregon (should we finish with just one loss), you can eliminate any of them with a loss to an awful team, like an FCS team, an cellar-dweller like Indiana, etc.  

The problem is that it's highly doubtful any of the other 1-loss teams will have a 46-point loss on their resume.  I think that's what dooms the Ducks, if in fact they were to win out.  That's going to be hard to get out of the minds of the selection committee.

Add to that the fact that many of those 1-loss teams will inevitably be bluebloods like Clemson, Alabama, and Michigan, and a whole lot would have to break just right for Oregon to have any real shot.  A 1-loss Oregon team against a 1-loss Bama or Clemson?  Forget it.

If we had scheduled and beat Wyoming for example--we are poised to be in the Playoff.  This is a scheduling issue, but yet--the payoff for the AD was significant.  Not to mention the national eyes if you showed well.

The gamble of scheduling....

22 ODFB Oregon vs Georgia-0108.JPG

Mr. FishDuck

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

One week before the initial CFP rankings are released, Mullens believes the No. 8 Ducks (6-1, 4-0 Pac-12), who took sole possession of first place in the Pac-12 after defeating UCLA last...

ESPN analyst explains why Oregon is their pick to make the College Football Playoff

ESPN’s Heather Dinich thinks there are few teams playing better football than the Ducks right now.

Despite the unsightly Week 1 loss to Georgia, Dinich has the Ducks as the No. 4 team in her current CFP field.

“Mine are probably different than the selection committee but at No. 1 I have Ohio State, I’m glad Paul (Finebaum)

has finally copied off my paper and joined the club,” Dinich said Wednesday during an appearance on the

ESPN morning show Get Up.

“At No. 2, I have Georgia, No. 3 Tennessee, and No. 4 Quack, I’ve got the Ducks.

The reason I have Oregon there is because, Paul nailed it, Penn State? Paper lion.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

ESPN's Heather Dinich has Oregon in her College Football Playoff field after Week 8. She explained why earlier this week.

• Cool 1

ESPN's Paul Finebaum calls Oregon the best team no one is talking about

What’s so interesting about Oregon is that, after they were shellacked by Georgia on the opening weekend, we just wrote them off as a disaster.

But that win by Georgia now really looks good,” Finebaum said this week during an appearance on KJM. “What they did over the weekend was impressive.

They have a lot of key games remaining. Ultimately, I think they would be the team.”

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

ESPN's SEC Network host Paul Finebaum says the Oregon Ducks are the best team in college football that no one is talking about right now.

Oregon football: Week 10 games can impact Ducks CFP hopes

Oregon football is in a prime position to finish the season within the top four of the College Football Playoff rankings,

and this week’s games can impact that climb.

AUTZENZOO.COM

Oregon football is in a prime position to finish the season within the top four of the College Football Playoff rankings, and this week's...

7 games that Oregon Duck fans need to pay attention to this weekend

Fortunately, a lot of the teams ahead of them will end up playing each other, making way for

spots to open up, potentially in the top-4 of the rankings when all is said and done.

These are games this weekend that can impact Duck's playoff chances...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

There are some mega-important matchups this week when it comes to the CFP picture. Oregon fans, here’s where to focus...

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

The College Football Playoff released its first rankings of the 2022 season on Tuesday evening. Although there is still a lot of football left to be played,...

COULD THE PAC-12 MAKE A COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF PUSH?

FOX Sports college football analyst Joel Klatt believes that a few Pac-12 teams have a real chance to make a run

in the playoffs this season, with five Pac-12 teams in the AP Top 25 headed into Week 10.

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

Joel Klatt explains which Pac-12 teams have a real chance to make a run at the College Football Playoff this season and why.

Only if lightening strikes - in at least 4 different places at once.  During outside practice.  Alas ~

Love all the articles that Pennsylvania Duck amd NJDuck keep posting and sharing with this rocking Forum. Well done, great effort and thanks........

The only thing the Ducks control is how they prepare for and play each game. Thats it. As long as we decisively beat Colorado and little bro beats the huskies tonight then the Ducks will face 3 ranked teams out of their last 4 games. That sets up nice for SOS, nationally televised games and style points.

Hoping the Ducks and usc win out. That way the PAC title game will be between 2 top 10 teams.  I hate sc but they carry more cache than the Bruins. If the Bruins do beat sc they will most likely be ranked in top 10.

No matter what the Ducks need to win one game at a time. Everything else does not matter and everything else is put of their control.

I am enjoying the ride. How about you?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 2:34 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Love all the articles that Pennsylvania Duck amd NJDuck keep posting and sharing with this rocking Forum.

@Pennsylvania Duck @NJDuck

Well said/written @HappyToBeADuck