idontrollonshobbas

Game Officials: Somewhere Between the PAC-12 and the SEC Would be Ideal

Watching Tennessee-Bama and the officials are leaving the flags in their pockets.  While the flow of the game is good, a couple of uncalled penalties were of the targeting variety and fairly egregious.  

While the flag-happy PAC-12 officials drive me nuts, these SEC guys may be too lenient from a player safety standpoint.  To the credit of the coaches and players, both sidelines have remained calm.  

On 10/15/2022 at 3:20 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

While the flag-happy PAC-12 officials drive me nuts, these SEC guys may be too lenient from a player safety standpoint.  To the credit of the coaches and players, both sidelines have remained calm.  

Oh yeah the SEC definitely is happy to not call anything. They let targeting slide half the time aswell. 

The refs also do protect their top teams and will often let things slide against Bama in particular. 

• Thumbs Up 1

After watching the Tennessee and Alabama game I only have one question. When will the Pac-12 referees be fired?  

Let the players play!  The game is not about the guys in the stripes.

Every week there is controversy.  Every week the stripes have a long committee meeting where it looks like nobody knows what to do!

Pac-12 Commissioner's job number 1:  Bring competent referees back to the conference.  Current referees are a national embarrassment!

• Great post! 1

Alabama was flagged 17 times, the most in the Saban era.  I was watching other games and noticed all the other refs had made some bad calls.  Not nearly as many as Pac-12, but still making bad calls.

In a late game drive for Utah in the USC-Utah game there was a flag on almost every down it seemed. It was beyond anything I have ever seen.

How about that call in the UW/UA game, where the AZ QB pitches it back to the running back and the refs call an incomplete pass, blow the whistle and stop the play. 

Then the let AZ challenge and burn their timeout when there is nothing to review. 

hilarious. 

The mid play time-out has to be the final straw. Added 5 seconds to the clock giving USC hope. The Pac officiating is a joke. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2022 at 9:19 AM, Log Haulin said:

The mid play time-out has to be the final straw. Added 5 seconds to the clock giving USC hope. The Pac officiating is a joke. 

Someone really needs to clarify that call because if they don't, it just looks like the refs made up their own rule on the spot.

On 10/16/2022 at 9:43 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Someone really needs to clarify that call because if they don't, it just looks like the refs made up their own rule on the spot.

When they clarify that call it will confirm the refs made up their own rule on the spot. 

I could see some rule giving the offense time back on the clock after a turn over gets negated by a defensive penalty but I didn't here any kind of clarification about that so we're just left to speculate.

Living in Texas I watch a lot of Big 12 football.  I think their officiating is good, for the most part.  It’s the sweet spot between the SEC and the PAC 12 that the OP mentioned.  The PAC 12 refs have been ridiculous and embarrassing for most the this century.  I believe it has had a big effect on the quality of play when PAC 12 teams take the national stage.  People point to the PAC 12 Network as the biggest failure but I believe it’s the officiating, hands down.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2