Charles Fischer

Poor Bruins...They Have to Take-On, 'Crazy Eyes!'

I don't care if you are Zach Charbonnet, you better have a head of steam to take on this wired linebacker in Justin Flowe.  Just watching that collision alone is worth the price of admission...

Crazy Eyes Justin Flowe_Pac12 Video.jpg

My FishDuck Friends, I just spent four hours again going through games to find the plays I use for my analysis articles.  I also note moments in the game to use my photo-editing software I have to grab a screenshot for my own use, and for the additional pictures for the writers of FishDuck.  It is quite a process to convert the games to MP4, but it is cool to get the great screenshots like that one above.

Justin Flowe...Whew!

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Flowe has the Mike Singletary look!

When he gets enough game day reps to gain much needed experience, look out...  .

Flowe is naturally gifted, perhaps the make up of a freak. Let's hope this Saturday he puts it all together and has much needed face time with DTR and Charbonnet. Preferably in the Bruin backfield.

Thanks Charles for this great picture. Your endless hours do not go unnoticed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am still puzzled when I watched our defenders try to take down WSU's Cameron Ward, as compared to the beavs. We just haven't to cracked the code on how to blitz, catch a qb and bring him down.

I think this might be one of the keys this weekend, actually disrupt DTR with sacks, not just containment and pressure. Agree Flowe seems like the guy who can get there with speed and follow through. 

I look forward to the day when he has a complete game, that will be fun to watch, from the Ducks perspective at least. We need to see crazy plays, not just crazy eyes!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2022 at 7:18 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I don't care if you are Zach Charbonnet, you better have a head of steam to take on this wired linebacker in Justin Flowe.  Just watching that collision alone is worth the price of admission...

Crazy Eyes Justin Flowe_Pac12 Video.jpg

My FishDuck Friends, I just spent four hours again going through games to find the plays I use for my analysis articles.  I also note moments in the game to use my photo-editing software I have to grab a screenshot for my own use, and for the additional pictures for the writers of FishDuck.  It is quite a process to convert the games to MP4, but it is cool to get the great screenshots like that one above.

Justin Flowe...Whew!

Do you think JF has played to his expectations so far and do you think he's the feared LB'er we all heard he would be?  Every time I watch him play I'm worried he's gonna get penalized for personal fouls at the exact wrong moment and hurt the defense.  He's a bit of a loose canon in my mind.

On 10/16/2022 at 9:54 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Flowe has the Mike Singletary look!

But without the same performance.

On 10/17/2022 at 9:44 AM, Mic said:

Do you think JF has played to his expectations so far and do you think he's the feared LB'er we all heard he would be?  Every time I watch him play I'm worried he's gonna get penalized for personal fouls at the exact wrong moment and hurt the defense.  He's a bit of a loose canon in my mind.

True, but he is a canon! 

• Mic drop 1
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 9:44 AM, Mic said:

Do you think JF has played to his expectations so far and do you think he's the feared LB'er we all heard he would be?

Of course not, and I have written that many times.

I would prefer Bassa at the "Money" linebacker spot instead of Flowe all the time.  But I acknowledge that Flowe can get better, but he needs game reps.  Better to play him against Arizona than against other opponents...

He is going through the learning curve that Sewell did in 2020, and mistakes are part of it. 

(Although I believe it was Sewell's gap the Wildcat RB ran through for the touchdown, and it was Noah who was responsible for the RB on the wheel route scoring as well.  That is two TDs in one game, and thus Sewell still doesn't have the position down like so many great Oregon linebackers of the past.)

Michael Clay and Kiko Alonso Knew How to Plug Gaps...

2012 Rose Bowl_Michael Clay_Amazing Moments Photography.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

While many are watching to see if Nix can have a big game for Oregon to win, we should be watching to see if our LB'er (and Flowe) have a big one to contain UCLA.  

In fact, it might even be more important that they do because Nix is only one of our many offensive weapons; he need not put the whole offense on his back - just run the offense efficiently and get the ball into the hands of O's other 'weapons' as well.  I'd be happy with 20 points if UCLA only gets 19.  

Of course, the chances of that are probably nil.

On 10/17/2022 at 9:46 AM, Mic said:

But without the same performance.

Absolutely!  Lets hope he can start his climb to greatness this Saturday....

• Thumbs Up 1

I love the picture... 

But that was also not a great moment for him as he was looking at the sideline for the play call and Arizona snaps the ball with him out of position. 

However... He has a great effort play and just charges into the backfield and chases de Laura to the sideline... But de Laura found a recievers for a 3 yard pass to convert the third down. 

But considering he was out of position entirely at the start of the play... 3 yards is pretty good.

Sometimes I wonder if Justin Flowe isn't trying too hard to live up to the reputation he has and play with effort - but under control.  He can't be making tackles on every play, just the ones that come his way.  

Maybe he needs to learn to stand his ground when asked, charge when it's schemed or necessary.  So much of what linebackers do is in reaction to the offense but you have to be working within the scheme or you can find yourself charging all over the place to ill effect.

But far be it from me to be giving the young man advice, that's for Lanning and Lupoi to do.  He has the talent, the desire and the courage  to be a great linebacker.

• Thumbs Up 1