Charles Fischer

Wowsa. Chip Has a Losing Record at UCLA? (And Other Big-Game Reveals)

I was going through the press release sent to credentialed media, of which FishDuck belongs to--and found some interesting facts.  First of all--know that at the end of this season....Chip will have been at UCLA as long as he was at Oregon between being an OC AND HC.

--Chip's UCLA record to date is 23-25.  Whew!

--Oregon is 7-3 in the last 10 visits by ESPN GameDay.

--The Ducks are 3-1 versus UCLA in ESPN GameDay contests including last year's 34-31 victory in the Rose Bowl.

--Oregon has the third active home field winning streak at 22, and is only one shy of equaling the record for Autzen.

--The home winning streak of conference games is at 16, as Oregon has matched that and looking to break that record on Saturday.

--Win Saturday and it is the first over a top-ten team at Autzen in four years.

Noah Sewell creates fumble and TD_Tom Corno.jpg

Noah Sewell creates a fumble in the last meeting at Autzen...

--The Ducks lead the nation with just one sack allowed, playing 18 full quarters before allowing their first vs. Stanford.

--Oregon is one of just five teams in the nation to rank in the top 20 in both rushing offense (10th) and rushing defense (14th).

--UO leads the Pac-12 and is fourth in the FBS with 6.22 yards per carry; Bo Nix (8.28) and Bucky Irving (7.15) rank 1-2 in the Pac-12.

--The Ducks rushed for seven touchdowns at Arizona, UO's most since 2017 and most vs. a FBS team since 2012.****

--Oregon is scoring 49.8 points per game during its five-game win streak, second to only Ohio State (54.4) during that span.

Some tasty tidbits there!  **** Reminds me that we are scoring like the glory days again!  Chip's record at UCLA....would we have permitted that at Oregon?

Thib sackDSC_2142.jpg

We will need more of this on Saturday...

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/18/2022 at 10:52 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Chip's record at UCLA....would we have permitted that at Oregon?

Depends: now, No; 2009 maybe, leaning towards maybe not (see Hef).  

Of course, had he come to Oregon with a 46 - 7 overall record, then Yes (well maybe).

• Haha 1

Minor correction:  Chip Kelly was with the Ducks for 6 seasons.  2 as OC and 4 as HC.  He is in his 5th season as HC for UCLA.

UO     UCLA  
2007 OC   2018 HC
2008 OC   2019 HC
2009 HC   2020 HC
2010 HC   2021 HC
2011 HC   2022 HC
2012 HC      

I don't know hardly a friend of mine (Duck fans) that didn't wish Kelly had either stayed put at Oregon or that he would have come back when the opportunity arose.  That said, he didn't and finally (!) Oregon has another head coach that might be just as exciting and just as successful anyway and none of us (my friends nor I) want to see Lanning traded for Chip.  Not yet, anyway.

But sadly, lurking in the background is the very real likelihood that if Lanning has the measure of success we all hope for either another larger, more prestigious school (or the NFL) will swoop in and take him away just like Chip.

If/when that happens would Oregon ever seek to offer Chip the job back again and would Chip even consider it?  Impossible to know but I think probably not on both counts.  

It's the one thing I dislike most about the CFB - the endless turntable of coaches (and now players too) as teams change lineups like uniform combinations.  

On 10/18/2022 at 11:35 AM, Tandaian said:

Minor correction:  Chip Kelly was with the Ducks for 6 seasons.  2 as OC and 4 as HC.  He is in his 5th season as HC for UCLA.

UO     UCLA  
2007 OC   2018 HC
2008 OC   2019 HC
2009 HC   2020 HC
2010 HC   2021 HC
2011 HC   2022 HC
2012 HC      

I stand corrected; I mistook his entire time versus being a head coach.  Good to know--thanks!

Mr. FishDuck

I believe Lanning's oldest children are now in middle school.  Moving while in high school is always hard.  We might get lucky and have him not to move his kids again.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/18/2022 at 11:41 AM, Mic said:

I don't know hardly a friend of mine (Duck fans) that didn't wish Kelly had either stayed put at Oregon or that he would have come back when the opportunity arose.  That said, he didn't and finally (!) Oregon has another head coach that might be just as exciting and just as successful anyway and none of us (my friends nor I) want to see Lanning traded for Chip.  Not yet, anyway.

But sadly, lurking in the background is the very real likelihood that if Lanning has the measure of success we all hope for either another larger, more prestigious school (or the NFL) will swoop in and take him away just like Chip.

If/when that happens would Oregon ever seek to offer Chip the job back again and would Chip even consider it?  Impossible to know but I think probably not on both counts.  

It's the one thing I dislike most about the CFB - the endless turntable of coaches (and now players too) as teams change lineups like uniform combinations.  

And next year Lanning loses the offensive lineman and Bo Nix.  

I have been curious to see if Lanning left this season, if he gets to PAC 12 championship game.  

College  is now pro with paid players.  There is very little loyalty anymore.  

I would not fault Lanning for leaving for the Big or SEC if offered this year.  

we are not developing a QB for next year for some reason.  That is main reason I won’t be surprised if Lanning is leaving.  

• Oh no! 1

On 10/18/2022 at 2:58 PM, debbieduck said:

I have been curious to see if Lanning left this season, if he gets to PAC 12 championship game.  

we are not developing a QB for next year for some reason.  That is main reason I won’t be surprised if Lanning is leaving.  

This is a subject we have discussed extensively in the past.  Not sure going all-out negative on him after only half a season is fair, especially when we have such a limited view of their reality.  I am not going to count him out until he gives me reason to....and we have only seen the opposite to date.

And no...the quarterback thing is not a reason.  Again...we are not in the QB room, and don't know what is there and just how good the No. 2 recruit in the United States (Donte Moore) is.   

I am not trying to be argumentative, as I want to see all opinions.  But this is such a negative topic without any evidence--do you see how you might have jumped-the-gun a bit?

You know...an offense like ours will become attractive to every portal transfer QB there is out there.  We will be fine...

Justin Flowe and Lanning_Joe Jackson Jr..jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/18/2022 at 2:58 PM, debbieduck said:

I'm thinking that even if O makes it to the Pac-12 Championship game he's here for the duration of his contract.  But ...

Yep.  Loyalty in the CFB seems to be in a death spiral right now - coaches and players.

If he leaves it will likely be for a much bigger program (SEC, B1G as you  mention) otherwise he'd be moving laterally.  It won't be for >$$ with Phil Knight around.  My guess is he'd be more likely to be lured away by the NFL.  There seem to be more young head coaches there now than i can ever remember.

The fact that it doesn't look like he's developing a QB to replace Nix doesn't necessarily follow they aren't. We're left to observe things from outside the program.  Also, O might be looking forward to this 5-star QB coming; (he's 'committed' - but that's no guarantee).  

I guess O will cross that bridge when they come to it.  Best to enjoy the moment and the successes while we still can.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 11:09 AM, Steven A said:

Depends: now, No; 2009 maybe, leaning towards maybe not (see Hef).  

Of course, had he come to Oregon with a 46 - 7 overall record, then Yes (well maybe).

Unless Chip had a personality transplant at 23-25 record would have him gone.  He got away with a lot because he was winning (cough Willie Lyles cough) and I understand his abrasive attitude quietly rubbed many people the wrong way.

A losing season or two and the knives would have been out.  

On 10/18/2022 at 3:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This is a subject we have discussed extensively in the past.  Not sure going all-out negative on him after only half a season is fair, especially when we have such a limited view of their reality.  I am not going to count him out until he gives me reason to....and we have only seen the opposite to date.

And no...the quarterback thing is not a reason.  Again...we are not in the QB room, and don't know what is there and just how good the No. 2 recruit in the United States (Donte Moore) is.   

I am not trying to be argumentative, as I want to see all opinions.  But this is such a negative topic without any evidence--do you see how you might have jumped-the-gun a bit?

You know...an offense like ours will become attractive to every portal transfer QB there is out there.  We will be fine...

Justin Flowe and Lanning_Joe Jackson Jr..jpg

I wasn’t being negative on him.  Just wouldn’t blame him is all.  College football, is becoming professional football, and conferences are changing rapidly.  

Thinking he may get an offer from one of the major conferences may be a negative for us, but not for a young guy like him.   

I wonder.  Would Chip go back to the NFL again if, after getting UCLA to a national power (if he does) another flailing offensive team (like Denver) came calling? 😶

Lanning could stick around for ten years, become a coaching legend, and still head somewhere else and only be 46 years old! I think Lanning is WAY more focused on putting his stamp on a program and building his legacy than simply climbing a coaching ladder.

Taggart and Cristobal both chased fools gold "dream jobs". Both made huge mistakes.  Lanning seems like a better decision maker to me so far.