FishDuck Article

Let Charles E. Kelly Stay Duckless–And Luckless

This is another epic piece by Allan that will make you smile, and wince from the zingers he applies.  The Bruins deserve them!  Enjoy...

FISHDUCK.COM

By now, if you're a regular reader of these half-crazed rants–okay, okay, totally crazed, out-and-out rampages–you are well aware that I'm not...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Yeah, this is rather silly.

“Is it too much to say the Rose Bowl is UCLA, and UCLA is the Rose Bowl?”

A writer grasping for something to say to grab reader attention to his article. The original 'click bait' in an era of written words on newspaper instead of 5" screens.  Still works 'cause here we are talking about it - because of the silliness.  As you pointed out UCLA hasn't been to a Rose Bowl in 35 years.

This is their best chance to get there is quite some time and I can only imagine how much pressure has been put on the team and Chip Kelly to get there in what might be their last year in the Pac conference.  You just know they want to show up the that big brass door of the B1G with that trophy in their suitcase and not the suitcase of USC.

They might be able to pull it off. But then there's this pesky team in Eugene to get past first.  Game on!

I love the picture of Niagara Falls, Alan. I have a few from that angle with my kiddos, as that's from the Canucklhead side. 😊 

It is amazing how much we learn from Alan...that opening day attendance for UCLA?  How embarrassing!  These articles make football season so much more fun...THANK YOU Alan!

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

More hilarity is afoot.  Many thanks for another delightfully funny article, Alan.  But I have two further comments.

First:

I’m not an advocate of “Northwest nice.” But that’s only when it comes to things like love and war. And as we all know, football may as well be war, with terminology like “blitz,” “aerial attack,” “defensive line,” “long bomb,” and “Let’s annihilate those depraved and deranged Washington Huskies.”

Indeed.  Spoken like a divorced man.  How about the football as "love" part?  How about (just the G-rated versions) "cover", "stemming", "crush", "pass", "sack", or to include my wife's personal favorite, "split end"?  I know, that last one is not spawned by love.  But I hear it every day.

Second:

“Bruins.” It was the first and only time in UCLA history that they did not copy and steal from Cal.

Having attended Cal, I take exception with your forgiveness on this single point.  We have the recording!  The first "coach" and Athletic Director at UCLA, Fred Cozens, said...and I quote..."Since we cannot think of a name for the school, let's call ourselves the 'Little Bears'".  Someone, the brightest person on Cozen's staff then said, "Hey, aren't those called "Bruins"...little European bears?".  Well, whadoyaknow?!  The school had a, er, non-copied beginning at ... something.

Second and a Half:

And speaking of beginning...Uckla was continually "crushed" by none other than Occidental College or Cal Tech and the like for many years.  Still are, me thinks.  Now THAT'S love.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

On 10/21/2022 at 8:53 AM, Mudslide said:

I take exception with your forgiveness on this single point

I was just getting ready to point out that a Bruin is a bear but I suspect he was trolling us 😉

On 10/21/2022 at 8:10 AM, Charles Fischer said:

that opening day attendance for UCLA?  How embarrassing!

Embarrassing? Why? They only have a population of 18.8 million people to draw from! Ha!

On 10/21/2022 at 8:53 AM, Mudslide said:

“Bruins.” It was the first and only time in UCLA history that they did not copy and steal from Cal.

Having attended Cal, I take exception with your forgiveness on this single point.  We have the recording!  The first "coach" and Athletic Director at UCLA, Fred Cozens, said...and I quote..."Since we cannot think of a name for the school, let's call ourselves the 'Little Bears'".  Someone, the brightest person on Cozen's staff then said, "Hey, aren't those called "Bruins"...little European bears?".  Well, whadoyaknow?!  The school had a, er, non-copied beginning at ... something.

Sometimes my dry sense of humor fails to register. My intent here was certainly not to praise UCLA for not stealing, but rather to indict them for stealing yet again, this time the lazy and unoriginal stealing of Cal's mascot. 

I was making fun of UCLA by saying that they struck "Bears" off their list of mascot choices, but then they considered a bunch of other names that were all bears--Grizzlies, Kodiaks, Polar Bears, Yogi--and finally "Bruins." Yes, UCLA copied and stole again. That's what they always do.

The funniest part of the quote from Fred Cozens is that it mirrors the satiric scenario that I described in UCLA's selection of their us-too mascot. 

• Salute 1

On 10/21/2022 at 12:21 PM, Alan said:

Sometimes my dry sense of humor fails to register. My intent here was certainly not to praise UCLA for not stealing, but rather to indict them for stealing yet again, this time the lazy and unoriginal stealing of Cal's mascot. 

I was making fun of UCLA by saying that they struck "Bears" off their list of mascot choices, but then they considered a bunch of other names that were all bears--Grizzlies, Kodiaks, Polar Bears, Yogi--and finally "Bruins." Yes, UCLA copied and stole again. That's what they always do.

The funniest part of the quote from Fred Cozens is that it mirrors the satiric scenario that I described in UCLA's selection of their us-too mascot. 

Aw...I know.  I was just trying to find an intro into (apparently not as humorous as I hoped) "recording" of Cozens and his/their record against "stiff" competition.