Mic

Not Out Of It By Any Means

At 6-1 Oregon is still in the thick of it guys, for the Conference Championship.  Yeah, the CFB Playoffs are gone but O's probably not anywhere ready for that yet anyway.  There's still a lot to play for.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Totally agree Mic! 

Finishing the season at 12-2 would be fantastic. 

Need to flush the feeling from last  night's loss and make sure we don't spend a lot of time looking in the rear view mirror, except for learning a few lessons, then move forward. 

I say Go Ducks, beat the Utes and wash away last night's disappointment! 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Hopefully they can fix the D.

One good thing about UT is Penix won't be on the field. I see another hard fought game that could go either way. Against OrSt Ducks will make Gulbranson look halfway decent. USC will torch the Ducks if they make it that far.

Not to say the Ducks can't win out but I'm just not feeling the joy right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/13/2022 at 8:56 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Hopefully they can fix the D.

I watched Lanning's post-game interview and when asked about the 408 yards thru the air by UW and the coach's reaction he said (words to the effect) that they will go back and look at the game film and try to see what happened and how to stop that going forward.

With all due respect to Dan and Tosh Lupoi let me make one suggestion: DEVELOP A PASS RUSH and SACK THE QB.  Whenever Penix was chased out of the pocket, for the most part their passing game broke down.  It didn't happen often enough or at the right times last night.

• Thumbs Up 1

Our defensive line is the weakness of this team. Penix had a huge pocket all night. Nix, not so much. On offense, 71 (right tackle) was beaten consistently. 

On 11/13/2022 at 9:27 AM, lownslowav8r said:

Our defensive line is the weakness of this team. Penix had a huge pocket all night. Nix, not so much. On offense, 71 (right tackle) was beaten consistently. 

#71 is Aumavae-Laulu, 6'6", 320.  He's been a pretty good player all season for O.  Maybe their D-lineman on that side is a real stud.  

But Oregon had almost no pass rush on D, or not at least enough to disrupt Penix.  That's on the coaching scheme, imo.  Let's ask this of Tosh Lupoi.

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 8:59 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

USC will torch the Ducks if they make it that far.

Not certain I agree with this.  UW leads the nation in passing, O's weakness.  USC isn't UW in that category.  And I believe Lanning's staff will be prepared for USC, should they get that far*.  

* And there's the rub: Utah and OSU on the road.

Edited by Mic

Penix is Vernon Adams plus 40% -he's very good.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/13/2022 at 10:26 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Penix is Vernon Adams plus 40% -he's very good.

Yes, but the Beavers gave him more grief than O could.  The Beavers were one good drive away from winning it - in Washington!

On 11/13/2022 at 11:26 AM, Mic said:

Yes, but the Beavers gave him more grief than O could.  The Beavers were one good drive away from winning it - in Washington!

From what I have seen the Beavs have pretty decent pass D.

On 11/13/2022 at 11:32 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

From what I have seen the Beavs have pretty decent pass D.

Better than ours, that's for sure.  I don't think they gave up 408 yards!.  

To our luck, the Beavers (while strong on Defense) are not so good on Offense.  And if Bo's able to play anywhere near 100% O is not one-dimensional like UW.

Our problem (besides being vulnerable in the Secondary) is we don't appear to have anyone who can come in and fill Bo's shoes in even a modest attempt to move the Offense.  

Edited by Mic

On 11/13/2022 at 11:26 AM, Mic said:

I thought of that game often. Some of the Beavers pass defense was amazing. 

But there were high winds, so it's tough to compare.

I'm no defense expert, but I think the Duck secondary is good enough abd fast enough to go man to man. Addison is very fast. 

It seems the Ducks screw up zone coverage a lot,  but once they are zeroed in on a WR they look pretty good to me.

Yes not out of the conference title game but its up to the coaches to keep them motivated, and if no BO, goodbye. 

I just read this thread and this article certainly fits right in...

Oregon's leadership will be tested as goals are still attainable despite loss to Washington

Oregon is no longer in first place in the Pac-12, but they still control its own destiny. Win your games at home to Utah,

and at Oregon State, you make the Pac-12 Championship Game regardless of what happens to everyone else in the league.

Win that game in Vegas in early December, and you go to the Rose Bowl as a Top 10 team with 11 wins in Dan Lanning's first year as head coach.

247SPORTS.COM

The month of November is when seasons get defined. Teams surge toward a championship or even a playoff run. We've also seen...
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/13/2022 at 9:41 AM, Mic said:

At 6-1 Oregon is still in the thick of it guys, for the Conference Championship.  Yeah, the CFB Playoffs are gone but O's probably not anywhere ready for that yet anyway.  There's still a lot to play for.  

Frankly, I did not really want to see us play in the CFB. Although we've improved dramatically from week one, having seen what it looks like to play one of those top three teams, and based upon what we saw from our defense last night, I did not want to particularly see us play Georgia, Ohio State, or Michigan.

The Rose Bowl would be amazing given this is Lanning's first year, etc.

However, with that being said, obviously the Rose Bowl is far from a given. Arguably, we have our two toughest games of the season, next to Georgia, coming up over the next two weeks. We'll see how resilient our coaches and kids are.

• Thumbs Up 3

The offense did more than enough to put this game away IMHO. Yes there were errors but they were pretty dominant again. The issue for me was the defense or lack thereof.  This side of the ball has been an issue for a few years now. Can anyone remember when Oregon had a consistent stout defense? How many games has Oregon lost because they couldn't get people off the field over the years?

I said it last night but I don't think I've seen a Duck defense this bad in awhile.  Yes Penix is good but man those receivers were WIDE open all night. It's not all on the D Line. I think the Ducks are one good D Coordinator from being elite. There has to be someone out there who can figure this out. I have to admit I thought the defense would be farther along by this time.

Time to put this to bed and get ready for Utah. 

Yes the pass defense was bad, often appearing to believe the rules prevent getting within five yards of the receiver.  However Penix had amazing touch on a couple of his throws.  One of the long TD's and the throw to the sidelines I thought for sure were way too long, only to have them drop nicely into the receivers hands.  It's difficult to overcome perfection.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm waiting for us to once again get one, and preferably two, safeties like Cliff Harris who just "Lock $%it down."

Edited by Desert Duck

On 11/13/2022 at 2:28 PM, McDuck said:

Yes the pass defense was bad, often appearing to believe the rules prevent getting within five yards of the receiver.  However Penix had amazing touch on a couple of his throws.  One of the long TD's and the throw to the sidelines I thought for sure were way too long, only to have them drop nicely into the receivers hands.  It's difficult to overcome perfection.

With Penix being as good as he is hitting receivers, the only chance O had to stop UW was to get severe pressure on Penix and drive him out of the pocket.  They were only able to do that a few times but when they did, his performance fell off.  They just weren't able to do it consistently. 

On 11/13/2022 at 1:57 PM, Desert Duck said:

Frankly, I did not really want to see us play in the CFB. Although we've improved dramatically from week one, having seen what it looks like to play one of those top three teams, and based upon what we saw from our defense last night, I did not want to particularly see us play Georgia, Ohio State, or Michigan.

The Rose Bowl would be amazing given this is Lanning's first year, etc.

However, with that being said, obviously the Rose Bowl is far from a given. Arguably, we have our two toughest games of the season, next to Georgia, coming up over the next two weeks. We'll see how resilient our coaches and kids are.

I agree except I think Michigan is beatable 7 out of 10 times.