FishDuck Article

Pac-12 Championship Game Madness is Good for the Conference

The SEC West and East are basically wrapped up at this point, with LSU as the presumptive winner of the West. Georgia, after defeating Tennessee a couple of weeks ago, is in complete control of the East. The B1G West is a mess, but let’s get real here — the winner of the B1G is going to come from the ...

FISHDUCK.COM

The SEC West and East are basically wrapped up at this point, with LSU as the presumptive winner of the West. Georgia, after defeating Tennessee...
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks David for laying out the possibilities for the different paths to the PAC Conference Title Game.

Hopefully OBD's can dig deep and bring their execution levels up a notch. The PAC championship race is exciting for sure and fun to watch.

Sometimes painfully fun to watch.

Utah finally tasted a PAC title last year and they are defending that title very well. The Ducks, hopefully want it more this Saturday.

The only chance for a Duck victory is for Bo and Forsyth too play. And be able to play at a high level. Injuries and timing are a big part of football. True chanpions find a way to win.

GO DUCKS........

Wow, David that was a dizzying display of scenario juggling, thanks. These are the games which count, onward Coach Lanning!

My gut tells me the game in Corvallis merits more to the scenario...hope it doesn't!  Our formula is simple...win, win, and we're in...and win and it's Rose Bowl baby.  Michigan?  That is winnable too if we play well

On 11/16/2022 at 8:02 AM, JDuck said:

My gut tells me the game in Corvallis merits more to the scenario...hope it doesn't!  Our formula is simple...win, win, and we're in...and win and it's Rose Bowl baby.  Michigan?  That is winnable too if we play well

Well... here we go on the Ducks v Beavers game... 

If Oregon loses to Utah and the Beavers obviously out completely. 

If Oregon beats Utah and then loses to the Beavers we are in the tie breaker scenario where it may be down between Oregon, Washington, and UCLA. At that point it probably will default to highest ranked team because of potential crossing tie breaker holders. However, if it is Oregon, Washington and USC with 2 losses, Oregon is out and whoever is higher ranked between Washington and USC goes to the title game as they didn't actually play each other. 

Oregon just needs to win and find a way to win. 

The rule of thumb with FishDuck articles is try to not exceed 1k words... I dance with that line all the time and adding in the Oregon-Oregon State Game would have definitely pushed me way over. If I need to I will write a follow up article next week. But lets just hope I don't need to do that! 

However... if Bo is out and injured that's basically the season right there.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/16/2022 at 8:41 AM, cartm25 said:

I would agree with the premise if a conference championship meant an automatic bid to the CFP.

The CFP is the ultimate prize and, unfortunately, the Pac-12 is likely not going to be represented . . . again. I think the Pac-12 missing out on the CFP again is worse for the conference than the excitement of 4 teams fighting for the Pac 12 championship "scraps" is better (i.e. net negative, IMO).

And "IF" USC somehow makes it to the CFP, it's meaningless to me since they are ditching the Pac-12 anyway.

The beauty of the expanded playoff is that the scenario you're describing right now would be WAY more EXCITING and WAY more MEANINGFUL in that format.

Forgive me. I described a Pac-12 Championship as "scraps". Don't really mean that. I hope the Ducks are hungry for that and get it.

Guess I'm still nursing my wounds from the UW game, and I just don't have the same excitement as when the prospect of going to the CFP was still in reach for the Ducks.

A CFP bid would be the ideal scenario but that just isn't going to happen this year by the looks of it. The Pac-12 has the most ranked teams right now with 6 over every other conference! A nine game conference schedule is absolutely brutal and we are seeing it again this year. Ideally the Pac-12 should make the CFP but the conference is just too competitive for that and we lack that "super team" like an Ohio State, or a Georgia, or an Alabama in a normal year. 

Also... it makes me sick to think that there is a way for the Huskies to make it into the Conference Championship game at this point. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This chart has been on Twitter the last couple of days regarding the different scenarios for Pac-12 Championships.

David, does this make sense to you? I have not had time to go over the chart in detail myself.

Great analysis, but just like the CFP talk last week, this is pointless speculation with 2 weeks remaining.   Just win and things will be taken care of.   Agree 100% with David, OBD's season is most likely over if Bo is out.   May be heading to Holiday or lower bowl if we lose the last 2...  How the fortune has changed in one game.

Edited by DuckFan93
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2022 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

The SEC West and East are basically wrapped up at this point, with LSU as the presumptive winner of the West. Georgia, after defeating Tennessee a couple of weeks ago, is in complete control of the East. The B1G West is a mess, but let’s get real here — the winner of the B1G is going to come from the ...

FISHDUCK.COM

The SEC West and East are basically wrapped up at this point, with LSU as the presumptive winner of the West. Georgia, after defeating Tennessee...

Oh...David!  You're making my head hurt with all this analysis.  How on earth is a schlump like me going to be able to keep all this straight?  I know!  I'll just root for Oregon to win out and close my eyes and pray.  No, wait ... if they win out ... I don't have to close my eyes and pray!  Right?  Thanks!!!  (great post).

Edited by Mic

So where we stand today... 

USC is in the championship game.

Oregon is set up to be in the championship game. The ducks need to beat the Beavers next week and they're in. 

Washington gets in if they beat Washington State and Oregon loses to the beavers. 

So... I guess we are all coughs fans regardless this week because we can't have the championship game be between the Trojans and the Huskies... Those are the two most awful teams and fan bases in the entire conference.

Ute fans... If it couldn't be Oregon I wanted it to be you guys. Can't let those Trojans win! 

• Salute 1
  • Thanks 1

If the mutts and Ducks both lose is it still Oregon to the championship game?  

On 11/19/2022 at 11:26 PM, McDuck said:

If the mutts and Ducks both lose is it still Oregon to the championship game?  

Yes.

I thought Utah was eliminated, but I guess not.  Oregon has to win at OSU to get in per Wilner. 

As I understand the chart Pennsylvania Duck posted. we can lose to OSU and still be in if UCLA beats Cal. The only way we are not in, even with a loss, is if UW beats WSU *and* Cal beats UCLA. The key would be our beating the highest common opponent (i.e., UCLA) with UW. If Cal beats UCLA (and we lose to OSU), then OSU becomes the highest common opponent.

Even though UW beat us, in this scenario it would be a three-way tie for 2nd with UO, UW, and Utah. Head to head is not factored in because UW did not play Utah. Utah also lost to UCLA.

No one wants to back in, but it would be better to make the championship game than not.

Edited by 1976 Duck