DanLduck

What Makes a Game Meaningful?

I know we go through this every year now, but what makes one bowl game meaningful and another one not?

Someone posted about a player not playing in a bowl game, "why risk injury in a 'meaningless' game". I understand the thinking, but it got me wondering, who determines which games count?

I was thinking of going to the Holiday Bowl, but should I spend all that money if the game is meaningless?

What about non-conference games?

What about the spring game?

Does a player on scholarship owe the school anything? Do NFL bound players still go to class? Do they still have access to training facilities? Meals?

I'm sorry if I sound ridiculous, but I don't understand. Coaches and players talk about the "family" atmosphere, attitude of the program, then they bail for a post season game.

So someone please help me out and explain to me, what makes a game meaningful and when are you no longer a part of the team?

I suppose the answer needs to come from the players opting out. Each player on the field is one play away from a potential injury requiring rehab. 

I suppose the Bowl games on New Year’s Day and after are the more meaningful ones.

It would be interesting to hear what some current NFL players would say about this subject. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/5/2022 at 11:06 AM, DanLduck said:

I know we go through this every year now, but what makes one bowl game meaningful and another one not?

I was thinking of going to the Holiday Bowl, but should I spend all that money if the game is meaningless?

What about non-conference games?

What about the spring game?

While I can't pretend to understand all this or give advice I'd say that the implementation of the CFP system (and esp. now that it's set to expand to 12 teams) is what is killing the whole concept of Bowl games.  Bowl games came into existence largely because of the fact that there was no national playoff system and hence no way to really crown a National Champion other than to just 'vote' one in given their won/loss record.

The more wins (and esp. the more wins against high ranked teams) the better the chance of getting "voted" as the NC. A very poor system at best and one that still amazes me that it lasted as long as it did.  Getting a win against another high ranked team at a New Year's Bowl game went a long way towards getting votes for National Champion

Now that the CFP is expanding, expect to see some of these lesser important bowl games slowly just fade away.  The Bowl marketeers will make desperate attempts to keep them on life support because of the revenue they can sometimes generate.  But as that revenue begins to shrink, (as interest in them fades) so will the chances of them surviving.

Would I go to the Holiday Bowl if I could swing it? Yeah, probably.  I'll certainly be watching it on TV.  But will it still be around in a few years?  That's pretty doubtful imo.  There will be a morphing for some of the bigger ones into the playoff system, but that's about it, also imo.  Enjoy the trip and game!

It is crazy that the bowl system is a money maker for people outside of the NCAA.  Unless, a team is going to a bowl game for the first time and sell a lot of tickets, lesser bowl games are money losers for teams.  Remember the conference splits the bowl payout.  Bowls require teams to buy a certain amount of tickets and are on the hook for unsold tickets.

I think the 12 team playoff format should also have NIT type little brother playoffs as well. Teams 1-12 in the real deal playoffs. Followed by 13-24, 25-36 and 37-48. Most teams with winning records get a playoff experience with other teams in their skill range.

NFL bound players can show case their skills in a playoff environment instead of a meaningless bowl. Extra home games for for the first couple rounds and then bowls can still be used for the final fours. This creates meaningful games end of season games for most teams, it generates more late season interest for both fans and players.

To me, this seems like a win win for all involved.

Back in the fifties, sixties and even before the bowls were a way for cities to get thousands of people to come and stay in their hotels, eat at restaurants and shops. A real cash  windfall.

I am certain Shreveport was estatic at the thousands of Duck fans who flocked to the Independrnce Bowl almost 40 years ago. Oregon traveled well!

Some bowls had specific conference tie ins. Most obvious  Rose Bowl(Big 10 vs Pac 8). Southwest Conference to the Cotton Bowl. Big 8 to the Orange Bowl. Special notes: BYU won their Natty in 1984 with a win in the Holiday Bowl. In 1991 washington could not face Miami because of the Rose Bowl committment. Thus a split fake Natty for both schools.

Just another step toward BCS and CFP. The rich got richer.

Each season a new bowl game was added and ESPN took over the monopoly of bowl games.  One of the main reasons the lower tier bowls survive is the TV money more than pays the bills. If fans travel then the cities vendors have an annual windfall.

Will the bowls survive with a 12 team playoff? Probably as long as media will pay for the broadcast rights.

Personally, i would rather have Oregon playing in the Holiday Bowl than not. The younsters get 2 weeks of practice, a road trip and playing time. Thats a plus.

As a fan, we get a chance to support our team. Yes the games are meaningless. But in reality they are important to everyones program 

When we move to the 12 team playoff we will see most years

Bama, Georgia, LSU, tOSU, Michigan, Penn State, uscsuck, Clemson. Also a team from BIG 12, PAC 10, ND and Group of five.

Those lesser bowls are critical for practice and exposure for about 40 other schools. Including the PAC schools.