Charles Fischer

Omigosh! A Transfer QB Visited Oregon? Hicks Momentum Building?

Normally I am not available much at all nowadays between 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM here during the week, but I gotta take a minute to pop this in for you.

It seems that a moderator on a Beaver site says former Texas QB and portal transfer Hudson Card was in Eugene quietly last weekend?

Hudson Card1.jpg

Hudson Card2.jpg

Hudson Card3.jpg

And...things are unraveling at Texas A&M, as a 5-Star LB decommitted and is going to Tennessee. I personally have not been following it, but other events have apparently occurred to give recruits an unsteady feeling about the Aggies and their wonder-boy coach.

Oregon is recruiting the No. 1 defensive lineman, 5-Star David Hicks hard, and if things begin to fall for Oregon and we gain momentum...and TAMU falters--Hick's father's pushing of TAMU lessens, and Oregon could benefit.

So much gossip, so much fun...so many dominoes!

David Hicks...whew!

Five-star defensive lineman David Hicks Jr. transfers from Allen to Katy  Paetow

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Seems like the staff is trying to stay as quiet as possible regarding the transfer portal at the QB position until early signing day. I get the feeling Dante Moore wants to think he has a solid chance to start next year. Pulling the trigger on a big name transfer could be the deciding factor if he truly is weighing his options.

Hudson Card, I believe, would do very well in the Will Stein/Dillingham offense. However, I think Dante Moore knows that bringing a guy like Card in to play with the current talent on offense all but assures he sits as a back-up for a season (which is usually a good thing). In this day and age, freshman are getting handed the keys more and more often. I see Moore as a guy who wants the keys now.

This is the equivalent of trying to find the thick ice on the lake to cross as you walk but you're too far out to turn back.   😬

A lot of moving pieces going into the early signing day. Kind of a sports soap opera going on right now. Who can lure away the eligible player from that seemingly strong relationship with another team.

NIL considerations certainly muddy the water. Looks like the Ducks are being competitive coming down the stretch. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sure looking like we are loosing Moore, kind of ruins this recruiting class, need to have a freshman QB, we can not keep relying on transfer QBs.  Then again it sounds like Moore just wants a job handed to him if he's considering going to UCLA.

I am probably the only guy on here that has Card ahead of Moore on my wish list.  I would be happy with either, but if you asked me to choose, I would grab Card. 

Card can play ball.  He had a 70% completion percentage last year and a 6:1 TD to turnover ratio. His QB rating last season was 158.  He essentially threw for 1000 yards in 4 games.  It’s not like he was throwing all short passes with almost a 9 yard average.  

Throw in that he is an explosive athlete and can move.  He played WR his sophomore year in HS and was ranked one of the best athletes in 2020 class. 

On top of all that, Card has a relationship with Stein and we all saw how well that worked last season.  

Yes please!  

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

We need both if you ask me, you need the present as well the future, I'm not saying this is a failure by the coaching staff, just saying this is a blow to the future of the program since this seems like a good year for QBs, and Moore has established himself as one of the best.

Rest of the class looks great though.

Both would be awesome.  The scary version is Moore flips to UCLA, Bo goes pro, and Card ends up at OSU 

🤣

On 12/16/2022 at 2:12 PM, GeotechDuck said:

I am probably the only guy on here that has Card ahead of Moore on my wish list.  I would be happy with either, but if you asked me to choose, I would grab Card. 

I’m with you Geo.  Card is a proven commodity on the big stage.  He has the arm and can burn you with his legs.  Dual threat QB’s are a must in CFB today and Card fits the bill.  Not so much with Moore who is pegged as a pro style.

• Thumbs Up 2

Stein is in a great position to decide what QB he wants to lead his offense, having coached Card in high school. 

Card is the more proven QB at the collegiate level, even with a small sample size. He did play against Alabama. 

Moore is naive if he thinks he is going to start for a top P5 team without competition.  UCLA would be stupid not to bing in a transfer QB to compete for the starting position next year. I’d love for Moore to sign with the Ducks, but we’ll be fine if he doesn’t. 

Depth next season has me a bit concerned. I don’t see any possibility that Thompson stays if we bring in a transfer QB and he might leave if Nix announces that he is coming back. A team needs 4-5 QBs on roster, in case of injury. 

This brings me back to QB recruiting strategy. IMHO, it’s better to recruit two 3-4 star high school QBs every year and, if they don’t work out, plug a hole with a proven transfer QB.  All of Oregon’s best QBs over the past 20+ years have been 3-4 stars (e.g., Herbert, Mariota). Many 5 star QBs don’t work out, as it is the hardest position to predict at the next level in all of sports. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/17/2022 at 9:27 AM, GeotechDuck said:

Both would be awesome.  The scary version is Moore flips to UCLA, Bo goes pro, and Card ends up at OSU 

🤣

Lol! Which IMHO, is why Bo needs to let his NFL aspirations be known as soon as possible if indeed that's what he wants to do. Don't get me wrong, I have tons of appreciation for Bo playing a huge part in revitalizing the Oregon offense and leading us to a very good season. Season could've have been better if he wasn't injured with that cheap shot by a Fusky player.

By announcing his pro aspirations asap if that is Bo's plan, hopefully that decreases the probability that DM flips to another program -and if DM flips anyway, hopefully that would make Oregon a more attractive destination for Card.

And if Bo decides to stay one more year, well, that will be totally awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/16/2022 at 3:28 PM, Orebcker said:

I’m with you Geo.  Card is a proven commodity on the big stage.  He has the arm and can burn you with his legs.  Dual threat QB’s are a must in CFB today and Card fits the bill.  Not so much with Moore who is pegged as a pro style.

Me too.  Given recent history (Bo's performance and TT's struggles) a proven QB transfer could be extremely valuable.

• Thumbs Up 1