Pennsylvania Duck

Who Fills Out Oregon's QB Room Behind Bo Nix in 2023?

One of the biggest questions that Oregon Duck fans had over the past few weeks was answered on Sunday night.

Who is going to be the starting QB in 2023? Bo Nix.

Who are the Ducks going to go after to fill out the quarterback room this off-season?

Who is going to be backing up Nix in 2023 and potentially in line to start in 2024?

There are a lot of options on the table, whether it be a recruit or someone in the transfer portal. Let’s look at a few names.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Bo Nix is QB1 for the Ducks in 2023. Who will be the QB2 or QB3 though? Does Oregon find a transfer or try to flip a recruit?

I get the feeling that Ty knows he needs the development; otherwise he'd have been the first QB gone from the "progrum". This, to me, actually says a lot about his mindset on the team. He wants to learn as much as he can, develop the chemistry needed with the players, and hopefully become a leader.

As for everything else, I believe the pieces will fall in place. We are a destination school for QBs and that's not lost on prospects.

If Hudson Card is totally fine with sitting another year under someone, knowing his prospects the following season to be the starter are good, then by all means bring him on board.

Even with the transfer portal circus I still believe a team needs to take a prep QB every year. A guy from a high school developing into a starter is the calling card of a truly good OC/QB coach. I am excited for what Will Stein may bring but I want to see him earn his money's worth.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to see Hudson Card come in.  He's got at least some good on field experience and has a couple eligible years for some continuity.  Flipping Austin Novosad would be a great additional bonus on top of that.  I just don't have confidence in TT to develop at this point, he's had multiple years to show some slight modicum of improvement and it just hasn't happened.

• Haha 1

It will be interesting to see who Stein wants and who he can bring in. After that what can Stein do with the qb's we have, and will have. Those are the questions I have, and will have to wait to see answered.

I do think our wide receivers are the most exciting area right now. I don't think we have ever had the talent level we will see on the field next season. 

Nix with our stable of wideouts, along with TE's will be fun to watch. 

The other thing I want to see is Stein at Oregon for 2 plus years.

I actually put the beav game meltdown on Dilly. Our high powered offense was shut down in the 4th qtr. One TD, and the attempt to force the beavs to run the ball would have worked. Dilly didn't get it done at the end of the season.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would be excited about any of those options but believe that Hudson Card would be the most ready to step on the field in 2024. Unfortunately, although he has a good relationship with Stein, I think it’s likely that he transfers to a P5 school closer to home, where he can compete for QB #1 right away.  It sounds like he has some great options (e.g., Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma State), even Norte Dame has been mentioned as a potential landing spot. 

The Ducks will be fine. I’d like us to at least sign a prep QB (3 or 4 star), given our lack of depth on the roster. They can go hard after a transfer next year, if they don’t bring in an upperclassman this year, to compete for the starting job. 

Edited by OregonDucks
Expand

On 12/20/2022 at 12:32 PM, Haywarduck said:

Dilly didn't get it done at the end of the season.

Always seams the coaches that are on their way out drop the ball on game planning. To busy getting everything inline for the next job. 

I'm starting to feel that if a coach is interviewing elsewhere they should be dropped from any team responsibility and let an interim pickup the slack. MC definitely dropped games on his way out.

• Applause 2

I have no reason to feel good about our QB backup at this point. Doubt Card would sit a year when he could start somewhere.

Novosad is untested so no upside vs Ty. There's still time for all this to sort itself out but as of now I don't think the ducks are in a good place if Bo gets hurt and misses playing time whether it's one qtr or a whole game.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/20/2022 at 11:46 AM, Dave23 said:

Always seams the coaches that are on their way out drop the ball on game planning. To busy getting everything inline for the next job. 

I'm starting to feel that if a coach is interviewing elsewhere they should be dropped from any team responsibility and let an interim pickup the slack. MC definitely dropped games on his way out.

Not all assistant coaches drop the ball. Dan Lanning did a phenomenal job transitioning while helping Georgia win a national championship.  Jeff Tedford did a terrific job preparing the Ducks for the Fiesta Bowl in Joey Harrington’s last year. 

It really depends on the person and a coach has to decide whether that coach’s heart is in it and he will give his current team his all. Dan having been there should be able to evaluate. If not, you wish them best at their new school (like he did with Dillingham).

On 12/20/2022 at 11:48 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

I don't think the ducks are in a good place if Bo gets hurt and misses playing time whether it's one qtr or a whole game.  

How many college or NFL teams are prepared to lose their starting QB and not miss a beat?

QB is the most important position in sports and, with the transfer portal, a capable backup is unlikely to stick around.  Some of Oregon’s most successful seasons came to an abrupt halt when the QB was injured (I still have nightmares of Dennis Dixon going down because of what could have been).

Hopefully Oregon’s defense improves significantly so that we don’t have to rely on our offense scoring 40+ points a game. One of the reasons the Niners are winning despite being on their 3rd QB this year is they have the best defense in the NFL.  Therefore, their QB doesn’t need to do too much. 

On 12/20/2022 at 11:48 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

I have no reason to feel good about our QB backup at this point.

Totally agree. I'm also very concerned about our OL as it now stands. Little experience and limited talent overall. Old Bo got harried and made mistakes when pressured. I know we are pursuing some talented OL transfers, but so far there is no one definitely coming our way. I think we need two experienced, quality additions, at least. However, I cannot imagine Bo deciding to come back if he wasn't confident in the abilities of his offensive line, so I'm in a wait-and-see posture.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/20/2022 at 11:19 AM, kirklandduck said:

Flipping Austin Novosad would be a great additional bonus on top of that.

Getting one of Hudson Card or Novosad would be a minor coup for Oregon after losing Dillingham's Moore. If Card came, Novosad wouldn't, and vice versa. Novosad would probably only sign if he was told by the Ducks that they are not seeking a portal transfer. It should be noted that Novosad wants to enroll at a university in January. I think the odds are much higher that Oregon signs him, than them picking up Card. Card should be playing now. The point is to make the NFL, after all. Winning National Championships and Conference titles is absolutely secondary if you have NFL skills.

Edited by 2002duck

Card is out. He’s capable of starting at many programs. Sitting for a year would be a waste of his time.

Ducks offer 2024 Texas QB Will Hammond

Rivals Info

N.RIVALS.COM

William Hammond - 2024 3 Star Pro style quarterback for Hutto (Hutto, TX) on Rivals.com

On 12/20/2022 at 12:51 PM, OregonDucks said:

Not all assistant coaches drop the ball. Dan Lanning did a phenomenal job transitioning while helping Georgia win a national championship.  Jeff Tedford did a terrific job preparing the Ducks for the Fiesta Bowl in Joey Harrington’s last year. 

Dan was coaching for National Championship and Jeff was coaching for Big Bowl Game. Dilly was coaching for a team he had been at for less than a year and probably said yes to the job right around the Washington game. MC new he was taking the Miami job around the first Utah game, coincidence I think not.

If memory serves me correct Dan said yes to the Oregon job after the regular season, and is a class act for not bailing on his team mentally or physically.

Maybe I should quantify it a little more if the coach is leaving for a job of the coach that was fired mid-season and are taking over a complete dumpster fire maybe they should be relieved of responsibilities as they are already probably spending a lot of time figuring out how to pull their new team out of the hole and not so worried about their old team.

• Applause 1

On 12/20/2022 at 11:19 AM, kirklandduck said:

I'd like to see Hudson Card come in.  He's got at least some good on field experience and has a couple eligible years for some continuity.  Flipping Austin Novosad would be a great additional bonus on top of that.  I just don't have confidence in TT to develop at this point, he's had multiple years to show some slight modicum of improvement and it just hasn't happened.

Bringing Hudson Card in would be admitting TT is a bust.