Charles Fischer

To Think...We COULD Have Had Justin Wilcox Recruiting!

Thank goodness Rob Mullens did not listen to Joey Harrington and his cabal...

WWW.MSN.COM

The 2023 college football recruiting cycle is wrapping up, as National Signing Day took place on Wednesday. While some of the usual suspects have the country's best classes, as Georgia...

Cal is No. 92 on Rivals, and not a single 4/5-Star player among them.  Whew!

• Whew! 1

Mr. FishDuck

The Wilcox hire never made any sense to me. Oregon would not even had him on their list of potential head coaches, if he weren’t a former Oregon player. 

Disaster avoided. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I respect Joey and his enthusiasm for the Ducks. But, I'm sure glad Mullens did not listen to the noise his letter created.

• Applause 1

On 12/22/2022 at 2:29 PM, DUCati855 said:

I respect Joey and his enthusiasm for the Ducks. But, I'm sure glad Mullens did not listen to the noise his letter created.

Mullens did listen to the noise. He offered Wilcox the job before Lanning. Wilcox turned it down.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/22/2022 at 11:33 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Mullens did listen to the noise. He offered Wilcox the job before Lanning. Wilcox turned it down.

You are correct! My bad.

I'm SO GLAD IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! No thanks to Mullens!

On 12/22/2022 at 2:40 PM, DUCati855 said:

You are correct! My bad.

I'm SO GLAD IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! No thanks to Mullens!

Wilcox actually did us a solid by turning it down. That’s the sign of a a good alumn.

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2022 at 11:33 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

And Chris Peterson.

Being a highly successful Division I CFB head coach is a 24/7 351 day a year job (gotta have a couple weeks at the beach or lake). That means recruiting hard when you’re not coaching hard. It means pushing your staff to do the same. Some guys are content to be 6-6 or 7-5 with the occasional 8-9 win season. I think Wilcox is one of those guys (along with Scott Frost). He’s content with developing good citizens and decent football players. I think the grind of always having to be in the hunt for the playoff isn’t appealing to him because it comes with a huge amount of pressure from fans, boosters and administrators.

On 12/22/2022 at 1:03 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

He’s content with developing good citizens and decent football players.

Sounds like he is at his dream job!

On 12/22/2022 at 1:03 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

developing good citizens and decent football players.

That is every coach's mantra, I'm just glad ours including winning!

The thought of having Wilcox recruiting for the Ducks makes me shudder. I don't think we would be ranked No. 1 in the Pac-12.

Click to see entire list.

While Justin Wilcox can be remembered as a great player for the Ducks, he Is not a high level recruiter. Therefore, in todays college game, he can’t be considered an outstanding head coach. 

The Ducks gave him an opportunity to step up to a higher level and he was not comfortable with that position. 

His wheelhouse is probably as a DC for a solid college team.