Charles Fischer

I Admit I Wasn't Sold On Adrian Klemm at First, but NOW? (How About You?)

I will admit that I respected Lanning's hires, but was unsure of Klemm, especially with some of the stuff in his past.  My first clue he was good was in interviews of how he was trying not to say, "the previous offensive line coaches did not know what-the-hell they were doing," when he was attempting to explain the differences in run-blocking he was teaching last spring to the offensive line.

Every Duck O-Lineman who is NFL worthy will be selected higher in the Draft, and earn more money because of Adrian Klemm.  I only thought one of our offensive linemen could move, (TJ Bass) and was astounded to see all of them pulling and knocking people over in the open field early in the season.  Forsyth on the edge?  Big Sala moving and mowing them down like that?  Whew!

Adrian Klemm_Pac12 Video.jpg

And I am the schmuck who thought we would have pass-protection issues this year.  I did not know Adrian Klemm...

Remember all the extreme negative earlier this year from so many in this forum about offensive line recruiting?  A ton of "we are screwed" kind of talk, without waiting to see how Klemm would actually do?  (Like the hand-wringing about NIL, the portal, etc. when Oregon is winning in those areas?)

So many times people feel they have to project extreme negative before the outcome is even close to being decided.  I was not in that "Eeyore" camp, but admit to being concerned, and wondering how he was going to pull out a good OL class.  Especially since there were so few prospects between all the channels of High School, JC and Portal Transfers.

But he got two incredible portal transfer offensive linemen?  One is widely considered the best, and the other was an All-Big12 Preseason Selection going into 2022 before he got hurt?  And then this "add-on" JC offensive linemen that was below the radar of most fans?  (The best JC OL) And a 4-Star Rivals Bruiser?

So he can coach with the best, and recruit with the best?  Wowsa.  Lanning was right again...

And I happily admit I was very wrong to have doubts!

This guy looks like a monster and we

all kinda went, "oh-well, whatever," to this Rivals 3-Star.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Go Ducks. It all starts with and goes through the offensive line.

The Ducks OL has performed with the best in the nation. There are challenges in 2023  presented to the OL group by attrition. It's time to reload.  

Do the Ducks have elite personnel? Will the OL gel and block effectively to rise to elite performance?

Bo is ready to pass for record yards. The backfield is loaded. Can the OL open holes for them, block at the line of scrimmage, and downfield to free them?

Klemm will have the O line humming by September. The way he schemes and stunts, this line will dominate again.

Going to come down to the leadership on the front. Forsyth was an excellent leader and will need to be replaced.

Klemm has installed scheme that creates havoc. O lineman love havoc, it is fun for them. Who didn't enjoy seeing Sala pull to the opposite hash and pancake guys 15 yards down field?

Yea, Klemm and his O line are just getting started. Should be another huge year for Nix and his backfield. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/25/2022 at 3:00 PM, Notalot said:

Can the OL open holes for them, block at the line of scrimmage, and downfield to free them?

Below is a projected starting offensive line for 2023:

LT: Josh Conerly Jr.

LG: Marcus Harper

Center: Jackson Powers-Johnson

RG: Junior Angilau

RT: Ajani Cornelius

Conerly did not start, but played extensively, and everyone knows he is ready for every down.

Harper did start most of our games this year and was an important part of the O-Line's extraordinary performance.  (Great puller who hurt linebackers with glee)

Jackson Powers-Light started at both center and right guard when there were injuries to Alex Forsyth and Ryan Walk and played extensively.

Junior Angilau was an All-Big12 Preseason pick, and started 34 games at guard for Texas.

Ajani Cornelius was judged as the best offensive lineman in the portal from Rhode Island.

I am astounded at how Oregon will not be rebuilding, but reloading with an offensive line that could be/will be as good as last year's from the first game.  I will not go into all the reserves available who will play and get experience, but you can look at them in the ChileDuck Depth Chart that is always up at the top of this forum in the drop-down menu from "Repository."

And they will be coached by a proven superb offensive line coach. Add the starters at receiver, (Hutson and Franklin) the savvy tight ends in Ferguson and McCormick along with our running backs (Irving and Whittington) and throw Bo on top of that?

I see a TON of points scored in 2023!

Respect the O Line_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

Respect this offensive line!

• Cool 1
  • Great post! 2

Mr. FishDuck

With his injury this season, I think Steven Jones probably returns for 2023?

Prior to his injury, I think he started 22-23 straight games for Oregon; and, once he came back from his injury, started the final three. I think he must be someplace in that starting group (and I think actually consistently has graded out very well PFF-style when he has been at guard).

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/25/2022 at 5:05 PM, AnotherOD said:

With his injury this season, I think Steven Jones probably returns for 2023?

Prior to his injury, I think he started 22-23 straight games for Oregon; and, once he came back from his injury, started the final three. I think he must be someplace in that starting group (and I think actually consistently has graded out very well PFF-style when he has been at guard).

I wasn't sure to include him, as he may want to test the NFL waters.  You are quite right, in that he too is very experienced and could help this offense score a TON!

Oregon Ducks offensive lineman Steven Jones returns from left foot sprain  with perspective on potential coaching future - oregonlive.com

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Adrian Klemm left the Pittsburgh Steelers to join Dan Lanning’s staff. I kind of figured he would struggle with recruiting in first year back in the college ranks. 

If we see his offensive line come together this next season, the talent that will listen to him will include the top guys in the nation. That bodes very well for future recruiting cycles. 

I agree that our offense looks fun for the OL. Watching our OL flatten DB’s downfield is highly entertaining. Being the DB getting flattened, not so much. 

Edited by Drake
  • Mic drop 1
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 12:43 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I will admit that I respected Lanning's hires, but was unsure of Klemm, especially with some of the stuff in his past

It's quite understandable, I wasn't sure of Klemm either until I listened to one of his early interviews he gave on coaching the line.  That got my attention and so I did a deep dive and what I found is he's a guy who's committed to the craft of O-line play.  He really knows his stuff and coaches tough and honest and that's hard for some to take.  Those that have the  thick skin learn to eliminate the faults and play to their ability.

What really impresses me the most about Klemm is he's an absolute straight shooter, I've heard him question KD on decisions regarding O-line play... I have huge respect for someone that can just tell it how he see's it damn the consequences.  It's not for everyone but the guys in the trenches I think appreciate that kind of honest interaction.  It makes the praise you earn mean so much more.

On 12/25/2022 at 5:50 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

I have huge respect for someone that can just tell it how he see's it damn the consequences.

I wish he would give that advice to Lanning on 4th down...

Lanning and Coach_Pac12 Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Another plus is the added depth on the o line will be with quality guys!

I was pleasantly surprised that the road graders from the Cristobal era who couldn't pass protect led with so few sacks on Nix.  They were also able to pull and move.

Klemm was exceptional in getting so much more offense out of the line this year!

• Like 1

This info here is exactly why I love this site and all the people on it! Both the staff and the readers bring so much information and insight to both players and staff!

Thank you all for the excellent read and info on Klemm. I was concerned we would see a drop off in both recruiting and developing our O line. I now feel good that we will see an upgrade on both those fronts.

Really looking forward to 2023.

• Applause 1