cartm25

On3 Grades For Coaches in Year 1

I think these are pretty spot on.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd give Lanning a B+ as well. If they beat the Beavers an A but that collapse was bad. 

I guess Lincoln Riley is an A. He fixed a few things about USC but the biggest benefit in his favor was his relatively easy schedule. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I mostly agree. But not sure how Mario gets a passing grade. I guess he did have good attendance.

• Haha 4

On 12/26/2022 at 10:34 AM, cartm25 said:

If Williams doesn’t get injured early in that P12 championship game, who knows what happens.

And if Bo doesn't get injured in ewe dub game, Ducks go are in Pac CShip game and Lanning gets his A.

• Go Ducks! 1

I am past the season, and giving Lanning an A for recruiting and hiring a new OC. I look forward to giving him an A for the bowl game too. A bit concerned about how he deals with the defense, but haven't lost the faith.

As far as the season grades, he was a freshman, and hit it out of the park. First year coaches rankings don't account for a couple of these guys had never been head coaches. 

The key there is that the best thing about a freshman is they become sophomores. We are still learning about what kind of coach Lanning will ultimately become. 

I look at it more like, do we still want to pay for his education, not necessarily what were his grades. He is still well worth the money we are spending letting him learn how to be a head coach. That is what we do at Oregon, we develop coaches, don't just look at grades, and try to hire the A coach.

You then have Lincoln Riley, an A coach, you know exactly what you are going to get. He wins enough games to keep his job and look good. He also knows how to pick and coach qb's. Riley has also lost every big bowl game he has been in. He couldn't even win the Pac-12 championship game. He left the SEC because he knows he can't compete on the big stage, or the big game.

I like the upside to Lanning over any of these guys who may have graded out over our coach. I will take Lannings potential, with Oregon, over any supposed elite coach on that list!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

If Lanning wins the bowl game--he gets an "A" even with what I think were incredible screw-ups in two games.  Why an "A?"  Because a 10 win team is good, and doing that in your first year is "A" type of work.

JT_DSC_0557.JPG

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/26/2022 at 11:26 AM, Haywarduck said:

First year coaches rankings don't account for a couple of these guys had never been head coaches. 

Great point!