LADuck

KJ Bolden Interested in Ducks

I love this forum and check Ducks info out all the time but I saw an article about KJ Bolden putting Ducks in TOP 15! I know that the Ducks are done playing but seems desperate when a possible recruit gets news at that point!

What is next headline? Elite 4th grader says he has heard of Ducks and really likes birds that fly a lot? Parents say he is only playing flag football at this point but are having him go to personal trainer to prepare him for tackle at the high school level. Will also give him lots of positive affirmations to help him reach his goal of being an elite athlete.

• Applause 1

The internet knows duck fans will click on anything related to the Ducks so pretty soon there will be articles on 4th graders interested in playing for our Ducks. As long as we click, the content will follow.

Articles are also probably written by an algorithm set up on a computer. Thankfully we have Fishduck, not yet putting out articles written by an algorithm, right Charles?

On 1/2/2023 at 5:24 PM, Haywarduck said:

Thankfully we have FishDuck, not yet putting out articles written by an algorithm, right Charles?

I actually have had many emails touting, "never having to work again," through the use of AI produced articles.  (Artificial Intelligence)   You won't see me buy that nonsense!

Gotta feel the real passion for Our Beloved Ducks!

FishDuck Needs You.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Wow! I thought the same thing when I read this. Who cares what 15 or 10 or 7 schools  16 or 17 yr olds are thinking he or she might like to visit?

In "most" case this is really stretching for news.

Let me know when they sign....

On 1/2/2023 at 8:11 PM, LADuck said:

I love this forum and check Ducks info out all the time but I saw an article about KJ Bolden putting Ducks in TOP 15! I know that the Ducks are done playing but seems desperate when a possible recruit gets news at that point!

What is next headline? Elite 4th grader says he has heard of Ducks and really likes birds that fly a lot? Parents say he is only playing flag football at this point but are having him go to personal trainer to prepare him for tackle at the high school level. Will also give him lots of positive affirmations to help him reach his goal of being an elite athlete.

On 1/2/2023 at 8:49 PM, Jemangi said:

Wow! I thought the same thing when I read this. Who cares what 15 or 10 or 7 schools  16 or 17 yr olds are thinking he or she might like to visit?

In "most" case this is really stretching for news.

Let me know when they sign....

I think some of you are being rather short sighted. If there is one thing I have learned about recruiting since I started posting at FishDuck is that it is a process, sometimes taking the whole year or longer, up to the final signing day.  Look at where we are with the final few good recruits for 2023 who are still unsigned. The Ducks want in on the action with these 4* and 5* players, as noted on another thread (Top Remaining Target LOI Recruits for Oregon). The process/relationships for these guys starts early. The terrific signings we got for the 2023 class in December just didn't happen overnight.

BTW, KJ Bolden is a 5* safety during his junior year of high school. Did you know that there are only 11 players with this designation on Rivals currently in the 2024 class? He is a pretty special player and don't think Lanning wouldn't want a safety like him on the team!

I know we're not done with 2023 recruiting, but like it or not, we are in the midst of 2024 recruiting and the Ducks have already received 4 commits! Note that visitors on campus now are class of 2024 or beyond. If you're only interested in the signings and not the process, simply skip the thread on 2024 Recruiting as most of the posts will be about who the Ducks are recruiting.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 1/2/2023 at 6:51 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

If there is one thing I have learned about recruiting since I started posting at FishDuck is that it is a process, sometimes taking the whole year or longer, up to the final signing day.

My apologies, PennDuck, as I was not paying attention to the year of the recruit.  Not only are you completely correct, but the recruiting goes on for years ahead of time these days.  Recruiting has changed so much in the last five years or so, and one of them is how the majority of recruits like to make their decision early and get it over with.  So others will know...

That means that visits this last summer by 2024 recruits...those who had only finished their sophomore year in high school and were going into their junior year--yet were visiting this last summer.  Why?  Because many of them will make decisions in the spring of their junior year or the summer before their senior year.  If you look at the verbal dates here, you will see that Oregon had 14 verbals before football season even began this last fall.  They were verballing to sign in December 2022 for the official 2023 recruiting class.

For juniors to make a decision in their spring/summer, they need to be visiting and learning about all the schools out there long before their moment of decision. This usually begins as 15 year olds, or in the sophomore year in high school.

Contact, visits, phone calls, social media--all of it needs to be done well in advance.  This is why it is reported on, because it is happening.  Now for those not interested--don't read it.  And the comment about click-bait has truth in some cases because we are entering the off-season when there is not much to write about.  But recruiting is year-round now and truly starts at 15 years old with the stud recruits.

The holder of this winning field goal versus Washington was John Harrington, whose infant son was offered a scholarship shortly after his birth.  It was an honorary scholarship, and not meant to be enforced, but Joey Harrington turned out to be one of the most productive, as well as youngest ever offered an Oregon scholarship. 

Ken Woody kicking the win at Washington_Register-Guard.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I get the process still funny to me that it is news when it is down to 15 schools. Is there a minimum to get an article? If a 5 star said I am going to a school west of the Mississippi is it still a headline?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2023 at 10:42 PM, LADuck said:

I get the process still funny to me that it is news when it is down to 15 schools. Is there a minimum to get an article? If a 5 star said I am going to a school west of the Mississippi is it still a headline?

No, I don't think you get the process. The process starts publicly when the player decides to announce his choices or an article is written about it. It could be 15, 10, 5, or 2 schools. In this instance, a quality 5* player will have more choices than lesser stars.

I find your second question rather demeaning, as that is not what the posting was. If this bothers you so much, don't read the thread.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The 1st round of the 2022 NFL draft averaged 10.04M viewers, while the average viewers for the NBA Finals was 12M, 10.87M for the World Series, and 4.6M for the NHL Stanley Cup Finals. That's all you need to know. 10M viewers with no game being played.

Personally, recruiting is much more interesting to me than a generic game where the Ducks are favored by 21. In ideal situation, John Canzano would be enamored with the Ducks, and his children would have gone to the University of Oregon instead of Oregon State.

He would have a Ducks Football and Basketball recruiting hour on his radio show, year-round! I'm not holding my breath that any of that will happen. I'm exactly the guy that would rather hear about a random sophomore high school prospect over the happenings of Portland State, UP, or whatever else is out there in the fringes.

The process is pretty easy to understand and I in no way meant for my comment to be demeaning. It was not intended that way. Just think it is funny articles are written about a high school kid that narrows his possible college selection down to 15 schools. If you think that is interesting that is totally cool. To me it is funny that is all. 

I want to read the post because I started it and wanted to read the replies.

On 1/3/2023 at 12:26 AM, LADuck said:

I want to read the post because I started it and wanted to read the replies.

I was not speaking about this thread. The original post you are referencing is about KJ Bolden in the thread 2024 Football Recruits...Annnouncements, Updates. That is the thread you should avoid if you are bothered by such announcements/articles as that is where the posting bothering you is located. Since we are still early in the 2024 process for many recruits, you will undoubtedly see posts like that again. 

On OBDF, we post many different topics. It's your choice what you read. Don't like it, just skip it.

• Applause 1

When I saw the headline I felt the same way as LA. It seems we are always in the final school list, I get excited then reality hits and we are not the school chosen.  My next thought is why even post it like LA thought.

Then I read the differing opinions on OBD and it opens my eyes up on other ways to think about it. The more info a person has the better chance to make informed decisions.

That's what I like most about OBD. The rules state that we should respect each other's opinions so people will feel safer to post thus encouraging the discourse of as many opinions as possible.

I encourage all of us to keep that in mind. Take care and Happy New Year to everyone. Especially our Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Thanks 1972. LOL ... I just thought it was funny that there are articles about kids down to 15 schools. I never said it made me angry or I didn't like it. My opinion is I just find it funny (I hope others can respect that as the rules indicate) and if others think these are interesting articles to read that is great too. Really not sure how joking around became such a big deal to some. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let's not go any further with this.  We are not responsible for what other writers create, but some people find such articles interesting, thus why they are posted here.  

Mr. FishDuck