Charles Fischer

Film Commentary/Analysis of Tyler Shough

This is one man's opinion, and while there are some good points--perhaps there are some items left out?

Mr. FishDuck

Very interesting analysis.  Would be great to hear/see his thoughts on some of the earlier games.  He makes the point that Shough was treated unfairly in the Fiesta Bowl.  Perhaps, but that is an incomplete take if there is no consideration of Shough's performance in the OSU and Cal games.  And, a lot of iffy throws that were not exploited by the opposition in earlier games.  In the end, I think he is correct in that Shough was not recruited by Moorhead and is not a perfect fit for Moorhead's offensive vision.  Could be writing on the wall for Butterfield as well.

In his defense, Shough was running a new offense with little practice time and reps. Perhaps under different circumstances he would be our returning starter. He did seem to have tunnel vision, which i define as not seeing pass coverage that well, and lacked patience in Moorehead’s offense.

It was apparent that his confidence took a hit and he started to look desperate to make plays. Unfortunately, when  the team needed better play from the QB, he wasn’t able to deliver. A QB struggling on a team expected to win is not an enviable position for the QB, or the coaches.

The coaches looking for better play at QB made the decision to state that the starting QB position for 2021 was once again going to be up for grabs.  Shough didn’t like that statement and made the decision not to compete again for that role. 

Next man up.

What I saw, fully accept I am not an expert, was Shough didn't see the dimensions on the field or have the skills for the college game. He could make the throws, which we saw, but he doesn't see the whole field or have the complete capability for this level.

What I mean is Shough doesn't see how a player will be open over the top, or even as a player enters a zone. I also question whether Tyler can make the throws over a defense, let alone see the opening a receivers has once he clears a defender. This is what happened in the OSU game with that interception late in the game. 

A qb can get away with this type of play in high school. Tyler has a strong arm and can get the ball to an open receiver he sees. The problem is Tyler needs to have a repertoire of throws for the college game he doesn't have yet. This is why AB was brought in to finish the drive. Tyler doesn't have the touch AB does or the adroitness to let a play develop.

I hope Tyler develops a more seasoned college skillset. If not he will struggle wherever he ends up. I hope he doesn't struggle, but from what I saw the game is too complex, quick and he doesn't have the skills, deftness needed.

I will also say that was some good analysis in the video. That was a huge mistake to start the game against ISU. I would have loved to see him talk about the throws he needed to make in other games. Does Tyler see the whole field and can he make those throws?

To me it's simple.....turnovers are the reason Shough lost the confidence of the coaches.

Turnovers are the reason Shough had to transfer. 

Will Shough turn the ball over at the same clip at Texas Tech? Only time will tell.

I believe the lack of practice, the lack of consistency of playing with his big receivers, the lack of tailback who was a threat to run between the tackles after Verdel got hurt, a totally inexperienced O line and Moreheads RPO offense all contributed to his problems. I think he will do fine at Texas Tech and hope we didn't jump ship on him to soon I don't believe anybody could have overcome what he went through especially the way he was treated the last 2 games

An analysis of the Oregon State and Cal game would be needed to see where and why the confidence was lost in Tyler, as well as the good components of the USC win.  By the bowl game--the feeling the coaches had was already set by play in the prior three games, thus what might appear to be a short hook, was perhaps a confirmation of what the coaches saw before or suspected?  There is just too much that we fans do not know...

I am not saying we should not express an opinion, because that is what we do here, but golly--we were not in the QB room, in the film room or knowing what was really happening.  We are guessing...

Tyler Shough_Tom Corno.jpg

Mr. FishDuck