Charles Fischer

Too Late? Dana Now Has the Team He Imagined...

Dana recruited a ton of players to see who could play--but most were injured for the first two-thirds of the season.  Now we see how everything changes when Cousinard and Barthelemy are healthy, and Richardson can play off someone else being the point guard.

It helps to sit Soares, who is a terrible shooter, and now we see the emergence of Nate Bittle making the hustle plays that win games. I am fine with sitting Ware, as we've played well without him.

There was something about Ware's court demeanor that seemed recognizable...but I could not put my finger on it.  Then it hit me a day later--it is the same blah presence, the same detachment that Ty Thompson has when he is in a game. Agree?

Jermaine Cousinard

Oregon over No. 9 Arizona 87-68 | kgw.com

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Love what I read in the Oregonian today about N'Flay being willing to come off the bench because guys in front of him are playing better, he is a consummate team player! Hopefully some of the younger players are taking note.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bittle gave the Ducks a spark early and played with a lot of energy, which had been missing by for much of the season. It’s nice to see him healthy. Playing Bittle and Dante, and sittIng Ware, makes sense going into the season’s final month.

And playing Will at the 2, and giving him more opportunities to shoot the three, also makes sense……as long as Barthelemy can handle the point and distribute.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/29/2023 at 11:19 AM, DUCKED said:

as long as Barthelemy can handle the point and distribute.

I think he is a shooting guard as well.  It is Cousinard who is the point, and with 18 points last night--can also score.

Mr. FishDuck

Bittle made great use of his minutes beyond the stats. Even shots he didn't block were altered by his defense, contributing to Utah's poor FG% and lack of production in the paint. And a couple of treys to boot. He is starting to show his potential.

Ware is a big 'yawn' right now and seems to have mailed it in. For his own sake I hope he re-engages and has a strong finish to the season. Not sure where he gets the minutes at this point, though.

In spite of some of the mock drafts putting him in the first round, how can an NBA GM look at his attitude and work ethic and want that in a locker room?

• Applause 1

On 1/29/2023 at 10:21 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Dana recruited a ton of players to see who could play--but most were injured for the first two-thirds of the season.  Now we see how everything changes when Cousinard and Barthelemy are healthy, and Richardson can play off someone else being the point guard.

It helps to sit Soares, who is a terrible shooter, and now we see the emergence of Nate Bittle making the hustle plays that win games. I am fine with sitting Ware, as we've played well without him.

There was something about Ware's court demeanor that seemed recognizable...but I could not put my finger on it.  Then it hit me a day later--it is the same blah presence, the same detachment that Ty Thompson has when he is in a game. Agree?

Jermaine Cousinard

Oregon over No. 9 Arizona 87-68 | kgw.com

I agree on the comparo of Ware to TT.  Same blank look. 

Soares requires some getting used to.  He's an agressive, sometimes over-agressive, defensive player.  The Ducks really need his D.  But you're right about his shooting ... which, by the way, is only slightly worse than Richardson's. 

If Richardson is more than 2 feet from the hoop, it's usually a brick.  (I say usually, because sometimes he must close his eyes and hit a 3 like last night's basket.)  Oh, and it's said that the Ducks have the worst 3 shooting team in the conference.  Sad but obvious.  Catching teams that have a big lead requires good outside shooting.  Ducks are mighty short on that skill set.

Cousinard (and Dante, as well) is going to be the Duck's savior this season and its tournament hope.  The guy is a hustler with a great shot.  

GO DUCKS!

Edited by Mudslide

By the way, Ware has a better shooting %, overall and for 3-pt. than Richardson.  Sad.  It seems Richardson, who thankfully has cut down on his turnovers lately, has had a tough time regaining his form after his late season injury last year.

247SPORTS.COM

In a make-or-break game for the Oregon Duck men's basketball program against the second-place Utah Utes, the program's second-highest-rated prospect to ever play for Oregon

"We know how good he is and what he’s capable of,” senior starting guard Jermaine Couisnard said. “He’s young, so he doesn’t understand how hard you have to play at this level.

12COMMENTS

"He came from high school. Nobody’s probably told him he has to play this hard against people who are just gonna compete. He’s gotta learn that and take it day-by-day; listen to the older guys and what we see out there."

Not good when your teammates know you aren't putting in 100% effort.

• Yikes! 1

Pac-12 Power Rankings: USC and Oregon trending up in conference play

The college basketball season treks on as the calendar nears February – one month before the

greatest sporting event in the country takes place in March.

The UCLA Bruins and Arizona Wildcats are locks to participate in the NCAA Tournament this year,

and these two teams seem destined to be either No. 1 or No. 2 seeds in the big dance.

The Trojans are now firmly in the NCAA Tournament discussion as well, although the rest of the

Pac-12 has some work to do if they want to go dancing.

Oregon helped themselves out with nice wins over Colorado and Utah, while Bobby Hurley and

Arizona State saw their chances dim significantly in the midst of a four game losing streak.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Despite a two game losing streak, UCLA remains the team to beat in the Pac-12 as the calendar turns to February.

I guess it depends on what you think could happen in the season that is left.  Can they get an at-large bid?  Yes but it will mean basically winning against Zona and UCLA with maybe one loss the rest of the regular season and run in the Pac-12 tourney.  I would put those odds at about 5-10%.  

Now if you are just talking about being competitive in every game, maybe going on a run in the tourney, yeah I could see it happening.  This team just lost embarrassingly to Stanford only a week ago.  With the way this team is I wouldn't be surprised to see them get the sweep against Arizona, and then lay an egg against ASU again, it's just the way this team has been.