Pennsylvania Duck

Dan Lanning: What He's Learned at Oregon the Past Year

Lanning admitted he learned a lot in his first season, including what it takes to be a head coach at a program like Oregon and how it’s not always easy to make the right decisions.

“I think you learn lessons every every year,” Lanning told assembled media on Wednesday. “It takes the right person, you know, to come here and be in Oregon, right? This is a prideful program that provides a lot of opportunity and resources for people to be great. But sometimes you have to step on a limb you know, to make that happen."

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks coach Dan Lanning learned a lot about recruiting for the Oregon Ducks this year, including what makes the program...

1) Don't go for it on 4th down in your own territory- especially deep in your own territory late in the game.

2) Make sure you have a back-up QB that you can give free reigns to make plays called for QB1. No more "safe" calls for the back-up. Let the QB scramble and throw the ball. No more safety handoffs or trick plays.

3) Don't schedule Georgia or Alabama.

4) Pay more NIL money.  

5) Only be as faithful as your options. If the B1G comes calling, leave immediately.

Edited by 2002duck
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Haha 1
  • Great post! 1

On 2/2/2023 at 3:49 PM, 2002duck said:

1) Don't go for it on 4th down in your own territory- especially deep in your own territory late in the game.

2) Make sure you have a back-up QB that you can give free reigns to make plays called for QB1. No more "safe" calls for the back-up. Let the QB scramble and throw the ball. No more safety handoffs or trick plays.

3) Don't schedule Georgia or Alabama.

4) Pay more NIL money.  

5) Only be as faithful as your options. If the B1G comes calling, leave immediately.

And get a punter!

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1

Don't run the quarterback between the damn tackles!

Bo Nix Hurt_Eugene Johnson.jpg

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Don’t listen to what anyone here says.😀 you can always tell the leader by the arrows in their back.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/2/2023 at 7:03 PM, Flyin Vee said:

you can always tell the leader by the arrows in their back.

The way I tell it...leaders take first arrows, thus they get hit in front.

And I think my advice has been proven correct--twice(Herbert and Nix) 

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/2/2023 at 6:49 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Bo Nix Hurt_Eugene Johnson.jpg

Especially when there isn't even a runningback threat in the backfield! 

Sometimes there will be those type of runs with certain opportunities and the QB just sees it and takes it... But running a quarterback out of an empty set is just a bad idea... And is pretty much always a bad idea. 

• Applause 1

On 2/2/2023 at 7:03 PM, Flyin Vee said:

you can always tell the leader by the arrows in their back.

'Glory' was a great movie, and I know it's based on a true story, but did Ferris Bueller and the former Dread Pirate Roberts have to lead the battle on the beach at Fort Wagner? I mean, they knew they were going to die! That's why our leaders make decisions from nuclear bunker war rooms or offensive coordinator skyboxes these days.

On 2/2/2023 at 3:49 PM, 2002duck said:Make sure you have a back-up QB that you can give free reigns to make plays called for QB1. No more "safe" calls for the back-up. Let the QB scramble and throw the ball. No more safety handoffs or trick plays.

Gotta agree with that statement 2002duck!

When was the last time we had a backup who could take over and run the offense?  Herbie when Prukop (sp) was playing?

On 2/2/2023 at 3:49 PM, 2002duck said:

If the B1G comes calling, leave immediately.

I disagree.  With the expanded playoff, stay put.

Also, as that sage prophet Bill Walton intoned, it is bad for the athlete (student-athlete went by the wayside long ago, not to mention NIL) in regard to travel and the requirements of academics.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/2/2023 at 6:49 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Especially when they've seen that play earlier in the game.

On 2/3/2023 at 1:23 PM, Steven A said:

travel and the requirements of academics.

In my experience at UO, the basketball and football players only showed up to lecture or labs several times a term. And this was from 98-02 when remote learning was not really a thing. Seems to me that longer flights could allow students more time to do homework or study. By missing so much class time, they are required to prove they are learning the material in other ways.

It's more difficult to get any reading or research done on one and half, two, or three hour flights. With the whole taking off and landing thing, the occasional drinks and snack cart runs, and the general banter amongst friends, it's hard to focus. You could hammer out a lot of reading when you have to fly out to play Rutgers or Penn St.